Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Finally bought a car

Old 12-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Finally bought a car

Skip to the bottom if you want to bypass my typically verbose post.

So I don't think I ever posted about what I bought in the past, I usually just announce it in passing in other threads, but I this is more about my journey than about the actual car I got, and it's been slow around here so I thought I'd share.

So as many of you know, especially if you were following my ND2 vs. SS 1LE thread, I've been looking for my next car for a while, so I thought I'd share my journey with you all, maybe some of you can relate.

A quick recap of my recent past, I bought and sold 4 cars in the span of 2-3 years, which I guess isn't that egregious considering some of you here, but for me and to norms, it's alot. So much so that I decided to take a sorta sabbatical to sort things out in my head.

I went from a C5Z, to an FRS, to a GT350, to my third S2000. All great cars, and I'm glad and fortunate I got to have them in my garage at some point.

I sold the vette because simply I wasn't using it. No one wanted to ride in it, so it was strictly used for me to get my automotive jollies. After riding around in more modern cars with more creature comforts like bluetooth lol, and also not liking the idea of the Corvette tax for anything that comes up, and things do come up as I learned during ownership, I decided it was a good time to unload it.

Enter the FRS, a good, relatively cheap, comfortable car that really was a ton of fun. I totally get why people like this car, tossing it around it was probably the best of the bunch, even to the S2000. And if it were my only car, I'd probably still have it. But it isn't, this was a fun weekend car, and even though it was relatively cheap compared to the others on the list, it didn't make sense to have money sunk into it if there wasn't a sense of event when I got to drive it. I mean, I might as well just drive my DD unless I hit the backroads or something. I'll just add to the rhetoric in that the engine is the let down. Right where it should be getting good, the torque dip happens, and it just feels like it loses its breath. It's still plenty peppy and all that, and if it were my DD it'd be fine, but it didn't make sense in my head to spend money on this car as my strictly fun car.

So my search went back to the SS 1LE, a car I've come to know during my vette ownership. That car made a lot of noise in the GM circles, so I took notice and I fell for it. Up to this point, I've bought used with an eye on resale and such to hedge my potential losses, so this would be my first YOLO purchase. After an exhaustive search, all the ones I wanted either got sold or were just bad deals, the final hour hit and I was left empty handed. I was talking with my wife who seemed to not like the Camaro to begin with and she asked well what car do you really really want that's somewhat realistic? The GT350 was my dream car at the time. She said well why don't you take a look, so I did and landed me my GT350.

Awesome car, which frankly ruined alot of things. It was an absolute blast owning, had some great memories in LA the weekend I picked it up, lots of little cool things like getting thumbs up everywhere, valets offering to park it infront of places for free at swanky places, having exotic owners come over to talk, good times all around. The car is capable, and comfortable, although I'd say the C5Z was definitely the better performer, and much easier to drive aggressively. But the practicality, comfort, performance, cool factor, the Shelby really can't be beat. And the noise...

But, for a guy in my situation, this car is not disposable, or even consumable. I treated it like a show car, scoping out places to look for potential parking areas, checking the weather, thinking about what traffic is like, etc etc. Seriously, it was like I had some responsibility to society to take care of this car. I know this is all in my head but I'm sure alot of you guys could relate. Having this car though allowed me to experience a different, hmm, class of owners, which I loved, but I realized I'm in over my head. When you see guys who could buy a GT3 and tear it down and drop 2x its price without blinking an eye, it sorta puts things into perspective, lol. I wouldn't say I was overextending myself owning this car, but I definitely was making sacrifices for it. In short, this was becoming a YOLO car in the bad sense, in the keeping up with the Jones sense, and that's not me. Plus I had a wedding right around the corner to pay for, and being a member of all the Shelby groups and seeing people blow motors and yeah I had my fill, time to move on before it depreciated. Broke even on it, couldn't have been happier with the decision.

So obviously there was a huge void left, so I decided to go back to my roots and bought my third s2000. It was my first AP2 (in summary, imho, AP2>AP1), and I had it just the way I wanted. It didn't take long for me to figure out that this was not the car for me. It's a great car, I still love them, and I wish that it resonated with me more because it just makes so much sense, but the bottom line was this car was not for me.

So I sold it, and started looking for my next fix. Then something cool happened, I got used to not having another financial liability, and having my garage spot back for my DD. So I decided that I would chill from cars for a while, pursue my other interests, and really take my time this time around. This was around when I posted my ND2 vs SS 1LE thread. It was a great mental exercise, do you choose a finesse car, or a brutal performer. I was definitely leaning towards the ND2 for some time, almost bought it a couple of times too but the dealer just wouldn't give those last few crucial dollars. But the things that kept nagging me were that it was indeed a bit small, I mean I fit, but long journeys I could see it being uncomfortable. The trunk was laughable, one of the things I love to do is pick up my brother from the airport when he's on R&R, and I always thought it was cool picking him up in something different, just to kick off the vacation right. Yeah the ND2 can't do that, lol. The death blow that really made me pause was that the V5 transmission as it turns out is still problematic. Then I took a look at the trans case and yeah I'll wait. Plus they depreciate like bricks, so why get it new, might as well wait for a good used one in the low 20s before making the jump, it'll buy me more soul searching time and to see what ultimately the verdict is on the trans.

The SS 1LE, Oh yes I love that car, but for some reason the values spiked a bit. For a while they were on a nice death march depreciating, then they jumped, so that made me pause, which allowed me time to evaluate the situation. To explain this, here's a story, some of you already heard it (I told you this was a verbose post):

I went to Santorini with my wife and rented a POS Opel 3 cylinder hatch with a stick. In summary, I had a blast driving that car around the island. I just enjoyed shifting the gears, interacting with the car, and creating great memories with my wife. I didnt yearn for more power, there was nowhere there to use it. A good lesson was learned in that why have all this power if I can't use, get the right tool for the right job. In the Shelby, hitting that glorious redline in 2nd will already get me a tick, which means I can only exploit that voodoo motor really in first, which ends very quickly, second I'm already speeding my traffic and third I'll be running from the cops. That's what I liked about the S2000, you get alot of that drama without criminal record.

That little Opel gave me the same automotive enjoyment that was just a tick below the Shelby. I had that much fun. It was very liberating to drive something like you stole it, to have something mechanical to play with, etc etc. Did I come home thinking yeah let me buy a barebones Yaris? Of course not, but the miata became more compelling, and cars like the GTI, Si, and even the Type R creeped into my list.

So went the months of considering, comparing, thinking. In the meantime, I was able to indulge in my other pursuits which I enjoyed thoroughly and I feel made me better for it. But there was a void, my 13 year old self needed something, so I needed something to satiate that desire.

After some time, my list came down to the ND2 and the SS 1LE, but I also added the 370Z to that mix. The Z for a bit was very tempting, but as fate would had it the right one never popped up, more on this later. The ND2 at this point was off the list until at least 2020, or 2021 when the values would be enticing. So I was waiting for the right SS 1LE.

Then one came up that was within striking distance, so the reality of ownership starting to set in. I realized what made me want the car was its abilities stated on paper, and sure I love the way it drove, but alot of the cost of ownership ahem tires, were based on things that frankly I won't need. I would be buying this car for ego, not for my own satisfaction. Am I that skilled of a driver that an E diff woudl be noticeably better than a mechanical diff? Or that I really need 305 width tires with Super Sports? Will that make my solo mountain runs more fun? I never timed myself at the track or on the backroads, I just like the zen that driving brings, and the thrill of flirting with danger, but I'm not competitive in this pursuit.

But I still wanted a Camaro, and rented one while in Hawaii after driving a beetle for the first half of the trip (wife's decision), and the Camaro... was good, but the trunk and visibility made me think. I did conclude though that I did not need a 1LE. So I started looking at regular SSs, and then the LT1 which I really liked.

At this point I was getting close to buying something, that urge was there again, it was time. I had a good long talk with my buddy, comparing cars and what not. I was really considering going back to an FRS (test drove one a week earlier and came real close) to try and capture what I had in the Opel. What eventually eliminated the 4 bangers off my list was that there's nothing like cold starting a big motor. Sure, may not need the power, but just the experience of the noises just bring a sense of event. Like putting on shorts and slippers, it just sort of marks that I'm in relax mode.

My wife said when the right car comes up, you'll know, and when it does, just do it.

So I started looking for Camaros when it sorta hit me, why did I eliminate the S550 mustang off the list? It was my work laptop wallpaper for years, loved the design, it's what led me to the GT350. I followed that car from a rumor, love the Coyote motor, etc. I eliminated it off the list because well, the magazines and internet told me to. The SS 1LE is the superior car. But it doesn't mean it was for me.

And then the right one came up. A 2016 silver GT with perf pack, with more options than I frankly wanted, from the right kind of owner (if you ever shopped mustangs, you'll know what I mean, nice to not see a instagram @ sticker on the car youre looking to buy). Everything lined up and I jumped on a plane and picked it up.

So here's what it's not. Its not as cool or as dialed in as the GT350. It won't outhandle, or maybe tossable is the word here, than the S2000 or FRS. And it's the performer like the vette. In the backroads, I can feel the front and rear end not communicating, and yeah I do feel that looseness people were referring to that sorta makes it feel like a live axle. Yes, the engine only makes 400 some odd hp, and the transmission is made of glass. But, in my hands, it's more performance than I know what to do with. The power is more than I'll need, and it's actually there for me to use. I still had a blast running through my favorite mountain road, and frankly I wasn;t left wanting. That road will find flaws in every car I took back there, and I certainly wouldn't want to take an exotic back there.

I'm having fun, and I'm comfortable. It fits my aesthetic, my wife loves riding in it. I feel content. It's just another Mustang, and I'm fortunate to be able to have one. I learned I'd rather be the enthusiastic spectator vs the nervous owner at Cars and Coffee. Not many people are able to afford such a car, and sure it isn't much in a sea of Porsches and such we see on these boards, but for me it reminds me how fortunate I am to be able to have this.

Of course, given my history, I wonder how long will this last, so we'll see. But for now, I'm in love, and... do I go Borla, or Corsa...

The following 3 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
cbehney (12-18-2019), InitialDougie (12-19-2019), JamesD89 (01-03-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Ok that was long and I just scrolled down to the pictures.

Congratulations. Nice looking car!
Old 12-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I read the whole thing and was definitely surprised with your choice. It's a good choice, just a bit out of left field.

Congrats and enjoy! Be sure to do an update in a couple of months to let us know if you still think you made the right decision.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Did not see this one coming! I had a Ford once and no matter how much I like their designs I just can't go through that again. I hope your experience is better. Either way, glad you got something that works for you.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Ok that was long and I just scrolled down to the pictures.

Congratulations. Nice looking car!
Hence my warning lol.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Hence my warning lol.

I went back and read it. Just could not stand the suspense.

Is the black rook glass or carbon or something? It looks cool.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I read the whole thing and was definitely surprised with your choice. It's a good choice, just a bit out of left field.

Congrats and enjoy! Be sure to do an update in a couple of months to let us know if you still think you made the right decision.
Yeah I'm happy with it. Well barring any changes to my situation I think this will he in the stable for at least a year. I literally considered every car out there before deciding.

Having gone through all those cars, the honey moon phase doesnt last long with me, and its pretty much over with this one. Its sitting in my garage dirty as we speak lol. I have an ever wandering eye, but nothing right now that will compel me to sell it.

I'm also looking forward to modding it, something I haven't done in quite some time. Breather mods are going to make this thing sound awesome. When I had the shelby, I was astonished how good the coyotes sound with the right exhaust... like they sound as good as the voodoo. As far as handling, alot of my issues with it is quelled by the aftermarket, but right now I'm good. It came with lowering springs already installed, I'm leaning towards putting the stock springs back on. Sorta let's you know my mindset.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I went back and read it. Just could not stand the suspense.

Is the black rook glass or carbon or something? It looks cool.
Nope just black, factory option. Yeah, I always liked that option and was happy that this one had it, you dont see many with the factory black roof since its alot cheaper to just wrap it yourself. It is a swirl magnet though.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

That whole story for two pics? Step it up sir! Engine shots, interior ? Let's go!
Old 12-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

More pictures.

Love that you went with the 5.0. I've been enjoying my mustang alot. never been a domestic guy, now I own three!

Quick Reply: Finally bought a car