Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

FIAT to kill Dodge.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work for a chrysler dealer.... dodge brand isnt ending, its merely being split up into the "dodge car" brand and "Dodge Ram" brand.

its part of their new system called " brand focus " they are trying to produce certain vehicles for certain brands to cater to peoples liking.

such as Jeep brand will be outdoor type vehicles, chrysler vehicles will be luxery cars, and dodge car brand will be eprformance oriented, where as dodge truck brand will be work type vehicles.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 27 2009, 07:10 AM
I didn't read the article to mean Dodge the brand would be canned. Really, would that make sense? Why create the "RAM" brand and then kill all Dodge branded vehicles? If that was the plan wouldn't it make more sense to take all the models which will be Rams and call then "Dodge" and still kill at the existing Dodge vehicles that would die anyway?

Killing off most of the existing Dodge cars (most probably means keeping only the ones with HEMI engine options ) is consistent with the idea that RAM will be trucks (and SUVs?) and Dodge will be mostly FIAT rebadges.

I may not be right but I think the above is logical and fits within the current and previous statements by the company.
there are no official Fiat rebadges announced so far for dodge. the ONLY rebadge that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT happen is the Fiat 500. theres no word on if the name will carry over though.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by S2kRally,Oct 27 2009, 07:16 AM
there are no official Fiat rebadges announced so far for dodge. the ONLY rebadge that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT happen is the Fiat 500. theres no word on if the name will carry over though.
I know there have been no official rebadges. BTW, I'm using that term very loosely and mean it to include platform sibs. I believe there have been announcements that several new Chrysler/Dodge products would be based on FIAT mechanicals. I certainly can see why the crop of FWD Dodge cars would be scrapped.
Of course we are very early in the FIAT-Chrysler merger so it's a bit early to be worried that we don't have any firm announcements.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

If Chrysler and Dodge cease to be at some point, they only have themselves to blame.

Their passenger cars are all pretty substandard right now, and I had the minivan as a loaner for a week, and while it rides and drives decent, is styled to look as close to a brick inside and out as you could possible make it.

I have driven pretty much everything they make as a rental (except the Challenger) and could not wait to get out of them. The previous generation Stratus four door was better than the current one. Driving their current rental offering made me dream about getting a stipped out Chevy Malibu as a gaint step up. I hated them that much. (although my rental Chevy HHR was equally as bad as the Caliber if not a little worse.)
Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM

calibers are low end cars, and they suck in general lol.but i disagree on the statements about the minivans... in terms of its class those vans are superior in alot of ways to its competition... this is an S2000 enthusiast site so who here is going to like how they are styled... probobly no one lol... but to a soccer mom, the new T/C is a very nice looking vehicle.

of course your enterprise rental charger and caliber are going to suck because they are beat to shit cars that are stripped down and are never taken in for comfort repairs such as rattles and bump noises...so they probobly sound and ride like shit too.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 27 2009, 07:25 AM
I know there have been no official rebadges. BTW, I'm using that term very loosely and mean it to include platform sibs. I believe there have been announcements that several new Chrysler/Dodge products would be based on FIAT mechanicals. I certainly can see why the crop of FWD Dodge cars would be scrapped.
Of course we are very early in the FIAT-Chrysler merger so it's a bit early to be worried that we don't have any firm announcements.
chrysler will be using Fiat technology, not their cars. fiat has this low emmissions high fuel economy engine( i forgot its name its like FFV or something ) that chrysler will mroe than likely be borrowing within the next couple years . I wouldnt expect to ever see a fiat badge on any U.S. spec cars, and i wouldnt expect anything even on the same platform as a Fiat vehicle to hit U.S. shores for a very very long time if ever ( excluding the 500 which is still only a maybe )
Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Oct 27 2009, 07:28 AM
If Chrysler and Dodge cease to be at some point, they only have themselves to blame.

Their passenger cars are all pretty substandard right now, and I had the minivan as a loaner for a week, and while it rides and drives decent, is styled to look as close to a brick inside and out as you could possible make it.

I have driven pretty much everything they make as a rental (except the Challenger) and could not wait to get out of them. The previous generation Stratus four door was better than the current one. Driving their current rental offering made me dream about getting a stipped out Chevy Malibu as a gaint step up. I hated them that much. (although my rental Chevy HHR was equally as bad as the Caliber if not a little worse.)
Well I would say in the past 10 years "themselves" includes MB who after a certain point was more interested in starving Chrysler than in the company's long term success. Chrysler's failure will be due to Chrysler's management but for a time that management was MB.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by S2kRally,Oct 27 2009, 07:37 AM
chrysler will be using Fiat technology, not their cars. fiat has this low emmissions high fuel economy engine( i forgot its name its like FFV or something ) that chrysler will mroe than likely be borrowing within the next couple years . I wouldnt expect to ever see a fiat badge on any U.S. spec cars, and i wouldnt expect anything even on the same platform as a Fiat vehicle to hit U.S. shores for a very very long time if ever ( excluding the 500 which is still only a maybe )
I thought Chrysler was also going to share platforms.

The engine stuff makes sense given that MB staved the company of new motors. I think the MINI's I4 was the last new Chrysler I4 (ironic huh?).
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 27 2009, 07:39 AM
Well I would say in the past 10 years "themselves" includes MB who after a certain point was more interested in starving Chrysler than in the company's long term success. Chrysler's failure will be due to Chrysler's management but for a time that management was MB.
just on a side note, to affirm your point here... a rep showed up at my dealer in a brand new SRT-8 challanger... reps drive very far... why give them a 10 mpg gas guzzler that has a 45K sticker price??

but yah if they go down, itll be due to past management and the brands reputation. it was managed by Diamler AG and by Cerebus capitol.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

[QUOTE=rockville,Oct 27 2009, 09:39 AM] Well I would say in the past 10 years "themselves" includes MB who after a certain point was more interested in starving Chrysler than in the company's long term success.

Quick Reply: FIAT to kill Dodge.