Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is Ferrari done with 6-speeds?

Old 07-30-2003, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Ferrari done with 6-speeds?

i've been looking at lot at the Challenge Stradale lately. In many ways it is my absolute dream car. However, i just can't get past the fact that it is only available with the F1 transmission. I'm so dissappointed that they did this with the stradale and the enzo. Do you think this will be the trend for the future? Is ferrari determined to make the left feet of all their supercar drivers get lazy? The further along i get in life and the closer to owning my dream car, the more this is starting to worry me. What do you guys think? Just a trend?

-Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 06:45 AM

Isn't it still a 6 speed transmission?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by wickerbill
Isn't it still a 6 speed transmission?
yes it is, but generally they call the standard clutch their "6-speed" and the sequential their "F1"
Old 07-30-2003, 07:10 AM

The real question is: why on earth would you want a stick shift when you can have the SMT? The only reason I can think of is reliability, and Ferraris have overall POS reliability so that shouldn't be an issue. Especially if you are looking at the Stradale, which is meant to be raced, the F1 is faster, safer, and more mechanically sound in every way...

Nota bene: please, if you are indeed able to buy a 360 CS, DRIVE it, RACE the motherfocker, don't make it a boulevard-cruising concours queen. Jesus wouldn't approve if you did.

Old 07-30-2003, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by protokultur
[B]The real question is: why on earth would you want a stick shift when you can have the SMT?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:49 AM

Ah, well you should use that foot to brace your body, son. There's a difference between being "more involved" with the driving experience and having a sentimental attachment to shifting gears manually. Use one foot to actuate the gas and brake, keep both hands on the wheel, and eliminate the possibility of poor clutch technique. There are simply no diving-related advantages to having to use one hand and one foot to shift gears when it is not necessary, and it frees up some more console space to put my Starbucks Frappucino Venti for the morning commute...

The slight shift-speed gain doesn't even come close to justifying the huge loss of fun factor to me.
Well, the "fun factor" of a car like this is (marginally) greater speed. It's not about shifting gears.

And plenty of Ferraris are raced, plenty of F40's and F50's out there being used for their intended purposes. Buying the 360 CS for an occasional track excursion or just for impressing people is poseurism. You aren't going to notice any difference between a 360 CS and a 360 Modena on the street except that it's louder and less comfortable. The whole idea of selling the Enzo only to loyal Ferrari enthusiasts was so that they would be raced or at least tracked often.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:00 AM

i disagree. but either way it's beside the point. what percentage of F40s and F50s do you think are being raced?? I'm not talking about tracked, i'm talking about raced, which is the only time i see an advantage to the F1.

EDIT: the fun factor is in having that power and precision engineering under your control. In my mind there is no better chance to feel this than everytime you press the clutch and slide the shifter into gear.

-Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 08:13 AM

"precision engineering"? I'd think an electronic clutch would convey more of a sense of this. Regardless, making transmissions and clutches is 1930's tech. And I don't see how a (notoriously loud and gnashing) Ferrari's gearbox is better engineered than a Honda's which will last many times longer under hard use. The Honda S2000 gearbox is awesome, and I would argue that, in terms of "precision engineering" your F20C gives ANY Ferrari engine a serious run for its money.

If Honda set its collective mind to the task, I am certain they could produce a SMT system far superior to Ferrari's or BMW's. It would mean moving the S2000 upmarket, but I have argued elsewhere that this is inevitable and only a matter of good business for Honda.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:51 AM

I don't know about you but there is nothing more enjoyable then to *snick* through each and every gear of a crisp 6-speed manual transmission rather than have a computer assisted *clutch* system do the "shifting" for you.

But I guess it's easier.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by mrkim019
I don't know about you but there is nothing more enjoyable then to *snick* through each and every gear of a crisp 6-speed manual transmission rather than have a computer assisted *clutch* system do the "shifting" for you.

But I guess it's easier.
exactly. it's not about the engineering of the clutch, obviously the F1 is more impressive there. It's about having a transmission that lets you actually feel the car rather than have a computer do it. Anyway, again this isn't supposed to be a thread on the merits of manual vs. sequential clutches...it is about speculation on future ferrari equipment.

-Steve

Quick Reply: Is Ferrari done with 6-speeds?