Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

February 2012 Sales

Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's safe to say that JonBoy has never driven anything besides Honda. I've yet to own anything other than a Honda myself and sorry to burst your bubble Jon, they just don't make'em as good anymore. Wife bought herself a '11 Sonata SE (Sportier Model) and it's honestly great to drive and felt much better than the Accord. Same time, as stupid as this sounds, I like the Keyless Entrance/ Push Button Start without removing the keys from the pocket or her case her purse (especially like this feature for the wife). She have to spend nearly 5-6K more on Accord to match what the Sonata has. At the same time, the amount of miles that the wife and I put on our cars, Honda's warranty just can't compete.

More pictures in case you want to look.

http://kokomotribune.autoconx.com/Ad...-IN/#phototabs

Not sure if you've ventured off S2KI or Honda's webpage but I don't see a single Honda on any Top Picks for the Consumer 2012 Reports. The Elantra was picked as last years small car btw. It's quite evident that a lot people out there have had great experiences with Honda, including yourself but just don't care that they've dropped off lately. Good for Honda but that will only last so long.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...top-picks.html

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by slusoccer00
It's safe to say that JonBoy has never driven anything besides Honda. I've yet to own anything other than a Honda myself and sorry to burst your bubble Jon, they just don't make'em as good anymore. Wife bought herself a '11 Sonata SE (Sportier Model) and it's honestly great to drive and felt much better than the Accord. Same time, as stupid as this sounds, I like the Keyless Entrance/ Push Button Start without removing the keys from the pocket or her case her purse (especially like this feature for the wife). She have to spend nearly 5-6K more on Accord to match what the Sonata has. At the same time, the amount of miles that the wife and I put on our cars, Honda's warranty just can't compete.

Not sure if you've ventured off S2KI or Honda's webpage but I don't see a single Honda on any Top Picks for the Consumer 2012 Reports. The Elantra was picked as last years small car btw. It's quite evident that a lot people out there have had great experiences with Honda, including yourself but just don't care that they've dropped off lately. Good for Honda but that will only last so long.

Hey, Slusoccer00, excellent choice on your wife's car.
I also drive a Hyundai/Kia and it's cheap, reliable, and efficient.
Oh, and the warranty is awesome, but never had to use it. Lol
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by yihooni
Originally Posted by slusoccer00' timestamp='1330966962' post='21478013

Hey, Slusoccer00, excellent choice on your wife's car.
I also drive a Hyundai/Kia and it's cheap, reliable, and efficient.
Oh, and the warranty is awesome, but never had to use it. Lol

Thanks, same here, hopefully never do.

We actually do have fun with the car contrary to some people's beliefs for this model segment. The paddle shifters in the Hyundai are nowhere even close as good to the DSG tranny found in her previous MKV GTI but it was still nice to drop a gear or two while up in the Georgia mountains (Accord doesn't have this option unless your in the V6 Coupe). Another thing that I found shocking is the paint on the Sonata is light years better than any Honda I've ever had. I have become a Hyundai/Kia believer and we were shocked the other day when we drove the Kia Sportage SX (Turbo model)... reports are 0-60 time in 6.1 seconds (A KIA SUV doing that!) Great car, slight odd styling (has the same rear bulge like the CRV) for some but had everything in the car. We've owned the Sonata for a little more than a year and half now and looking to get into an SUV now.. she was one of the first to get a Sonata around here in Tampa. 26K miles later on it and it's been great!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thielepr
Jon I won't go back and foward with you again. Because it' like speak to a wall. I understood you point and accept that when I mentioned the civic is a good realible with excellente MPG. But you know wthat I'm willing to sacrifice some MPG for some better quality in the interior, some better insulation, some better less grocery getter styling. In overall some better package, some better car

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by slusoccer00
Who are you again? Yeah, you really know me.

I've probably spent more time in other cars in the last year than you have in your life. I love cars and I love to check out the competition. However, I make up my own mind - I don't just read reviews and jump on bandwagons.

Congrats on the Sonata. I'm glad you like it. It's not for me but it definitely has some great options and a great price and warranty (in the USA). Unfortunately, here in Canada, their warranty is the same as everyone else so, all things considered, that's not enough to push me to buy one.

It is generally impossible for a car to go from being the worst in class (the old Sonata) to the best in class (what you apparently believe of the new Sonata). Why? Engineering improvements are rarely that dramatic. So, my personal opinion (which has no data to prove it - only TIME will tell) is that Hyundai has cheaped out somewhere and it'll show up over the next few years. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, however! Competition is good for the consumer.

One thing is for sure, though - the Sonata has not proven to reliably achieve the touted fuel efficiency and the last test I read had it dead last as compared to the V6 competition (it was slowest and least fuel efficient).

I wouldn't touch a current Accord if I was buying a new family sedan. Why? The new one comes out this year with a 7-speed DCT, all-new I4 and V6, lots of new standard options and swoopier styling.

Ah, a Consumer Reports reader. Glad you enjoy them. I find it ironic that you're using a company that reviews toaster ovens to reliably review a car. Honda has spent a LOT of years on their lists so I'm not worried because they've chosen another NEW car over an aging Honda product (Sonata over Accord). I notice the Elantra has dropped off already, though.

Of course, I could just as readily point out that the Accord is the second-most-included car on Car and Driver's Top Ten List, second only to the BMW 3-Series. And they review ONLY cars, so probably just a wee bit more knowledgeable. Not unbiased, just not distracted by toaster ovens...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by thielepr
Jon I won't go back and foward with you again. Because it' like speak to a wall. I understood you point and accept that when I mentioned the civic is a good realible with excellente MPG. But you know wthat I'm willing to sacrifice some MPG for some better quality in the interior, some better insulation, some better less grocery getter styling. In overall some better package, some better car
Hey - that's your choice. I stated as much - if you are looking for great options and a low price, the Hyundai is your car of choice. I completely agree with you. Do I think the Elantra is a better car? No, not based on what I value in a car. However, I do know that it is better in some areas and it's absolutely better for some people.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by slusoccer00' timestamp='1330966962' post='21478013
Who are you again? Yeah, you really know me.

I've probably spent more time in other cars in the last year than you have in your life. I love cars and I love to check out the competition. However, I make up my own mind - I don't just read reviews and jump on bandwagons.

Congrats on the Sonata. I'm glad you like it. It's not for me but it definitely has some great options and a great price and warranty (in the USA). Unfortunately, here in Canada, their warranty is the same as everyone else so, all things considered, that's not enough to push me to buy one.

It is generally impossible for a car to go from being the worst in class (the old Sonata) to the best in class (what you apparently believe of the new Sonata). Why? Engineering improvements are rarely that dramatic. So, my personal opinion (which has no data to prove it - only TIME will tell) is that Hyundai has cheaped out somewhere and it'll show up over the next few years. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, however! Competition is good for the consumer.

One thing is for sure, though - the Sonata has not proven to reliably achieve the touted fuel efficiency and the last test I read had it dead last as compared to the V6 competition (it was slowest and least fuel efficient).

I wouldn't touch a current Accord if I was buying a new family sedan. Why? The new one comes out this year with a 7-speed DCT, all-new I4 and V6, lots of new standard options and swoopier styling.

Ah, a Consumer Reports reader. Glad you enjoy them. I find it ironic that you're using a company that reviews toaster ovens to reliably review a car. Honda has spent a LOT of years on their lists so I'm not worried because they've chosen another NEW car over an aging Honda product (Sonata over Accord). I notice the Elantra has dropped off already, though.

Of course, I could just as readily point out that the Accord is the second-most-included car on Car and Driver's Top Ten List, second only to the BMW 3-Series. And they review ONLY cars, so probably just a wee bit more knowledgeable. Not unbiased, just not distracted by toaster ovens...
lol you make me laugh buddy... especially the comparison review you looked at rated the Sonata 1 mpg 1 less than the Accord. Really? Last time I checked the Elantra was the car of the year... I see no civic.... I never knocked Accord as a bad car it's just lame in my own comparison. Accord does everything marginally but Sonata does things better in areas that I like more than the Accord. I let you keep on thinking you know more about cars because you apparently have some sort of complex. Cars I was in this weekend hmmm... 2012 Porsche 911 4S, Range Rover Evoque 2-Door (Personal Favorite), VW Golf R, Audi R8...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM

I was in even more than that (and lots of them the higher end cars), at the car show on Saturday, but it was a nice try. But way to come back at me and ignore all my points and instead try and turn this into an "I know more than you" contest as opposed to an objective conversation. I have a complex but you try and come over the top as a means of "letting me keep on thinking that I know more"? Funny way of letting it go, champ.

You've never seen the Civic as car of the year?

2006 - Car of the Year, Motor Trend
2006 - Car of the Year, Automotive Journalist's Association of Canada
2012 - Green Car of the Year, Green Car Journal

Oh yeah - best-selling car in Canada, 12 years running (including last year, even with manufacturing dropping badly after the tsunami/earthquake).
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I was in even more than that (and lots of them the higher end cars), at the car show on Saturday, but it was a nice try. But way to come back at me and ignore all my points and instead try and turn this into an "I know more than you" contest as opposed to an objective conversation. I have a complex but you try and come over the top as a means of "letting me keep on thinking that I know more"? Funny way of letting it go, champ.

You've never seen the Civic as car of the year?

2006 - Car of the Year, Motor Trend
2006 - Car of the Year, Automotive Journalist's Association of Canada
2012 - Green Car of the Year, Green Car Journal

Oh yeah - best-selling car in Canada, 12 years running (including last year, even with manufacturing dropping badly after the tsunami/earthquake).
lol... Green Car of the Year...Seriously?

Dude - You are living in the past!! Honda was great, they just aren't doing it right now (with the exception of the NSX, TBD) That was 6 years ago, cars for the most part still had brake drums... lol! Ummmm... the whole I know more than you contest - Well actually you're the one who said, "I've probably spent more time in other cars in the last year than you have in your life. I love cars and I love to check out the competition. However, I make up my own mind - I don't just read reviews and jump on bandwagons." So insert foot in mouth please..

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I don't see Honda Civic as the Car of the Year, that current title is the Hyundai Elantra. Do I agree with it, no actually. I thought it would be the Passat or the Focus.

Ignore your points? - What points?
- Gas mileage? Wife and I are getting 28mpg... That's fine by me.
- Worst to first? When did I say that? I actually prefer the Kia Optima Limited and the new Passat but for the price and amenities, nothing could compare, especially out the door price and warranty. (Except the Optima, which wasn't out yet). I have no quality control issues, nothing fading. Everything has been great.
- Slow? You might want to go back and check your favorite source. Hardly a difference, except top end. Hyundai wins that clearly..

Honda Accord 0-60 was 6.5, Quarter Mile 15.2, Top Speed 126
Hyundai Sonata 0-60 was 6.4, Quarter Mile 14.9, Top Speed 151
VW Passat 0-60 was 6.3. Quarter Mile 14.8, Top Speed 126

How about you answer your own question? Hyundai has cheaped out somewhere and it'll show up over the next few years? It's been nearly two already, anything? If anything I would say the suspension could be slightly timid but I felt a whole lot better in the Sonata vs the Accord. Accord just felt heavy in comparison. My observation of course.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 AM

At the end of the day, majority on here says the new civic lost its way and I feel the same way.

Quick Reply: February 2012 Sales