Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose.
1991 Mazda Rx7
52.54%
1992 Mazda Miata
47.46%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

FC Rx7 VS NA Miata

Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well have fun rebuilding it occasionally. The miata is far more fun to drive. If it were a turbo2 i would have said get the fc but with a weak engine and an even weaker rearend, they lose appeal extremely fast.

Atleast you can clone it for the akagi redsuns now lol
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm only going to be driving ~6,000kms a year. I still have plenty of time before I need a rebuild. Everyone who I've spoken to who owned or owns an FC said they haven't had any problems at all and loved them, but those who just heard about them seem to think differently.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM

I owned one
Mine wasnt rotary lol. Well it started rotary atleast.

And rotaries die on a whim.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert W
Well have fun rebuilding it occasionally. The miata is far more fun to drive. If it were a turbo2 i would have said get the fc but with a weak engine and an even weaker rearend, they lose appeal extremely fast.

RX-7 is a great driving car - people who've owned them know.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan2949
I'm only going to be driving ~6,000kms a year. I still have plenty of time before I need a rebuild. Everyone who I've spoken to who owned or owns an FC said they haven't had any problems at all and loved them, but those who just heard about them seem to think differently.
I owned an FC. I loved it! No problems until the perfectly maintained engine expired at 105k miles...

My FD has 8 pistons, zero rotors
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by Ryan2949' timestamp='1340155205' post='21795741
I owned an FC. I loved it! No problems until the perfectly maintained engine expired at 105k miles...

My FD has 8 pistons, zero rotors
The most reliable kind of rotaries are the lack thereof.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by Robert W' timestamp='1340151478' post='21795598

RX-7 is a great driving car - people who've owned them know.
Read the post above yours. I owned one lol.

And its far better with a 383
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
I owned a perfectly maintained, never tracked '90 FC. Loved it. Blew apex seals during its second ever autoX run with 105k miles on the clock. Believe me, NO one in the rotary community is ever remotely surprised at these kinds of events even on well-maintained rotaries.

For every 200k mile rotary there are dozens that expired before 100k, and thousands of 500k mile piston-engined cars.

That said, I still think I'd go with the FC and run it as is (don't expect 26mpg on the highway, though!) until it expired. Then LSX...
Actually, it's pretty surprising. There must have been a lean condition, or some serious carbon buildup in that motor. If the motor was never driven hard before, then it likely had massive carbon deposits from a lack of redline. Rotaries should be redlined every single time they're driven, otherwise this sort of thing happens.

Redlining the motor also ensures regular operation of the secondary injectors (which kick in at 3800rpm). If it isn't revved high, then the secondaries will never get any use. So if they weren't delivering the right fuel from lack of use, that could also create a lean condition.

These factors combined could certainly be the culprit of your apex seal failure. Rotaries aren't unreliable, they just aren't piston engines. They need to be operated very differently to keep them healthy.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by japhethwar
Miata without even a second thought. A worn out miata is a better car than the rx7 was new. Rotary's suck balls. Maintainence nightmare. Plus the miata will embaress the rx7 in the twisties.
Yeah? I asked a regular track goer the differences between his FC and his turbo NA miata. He feels that the FC is a much better package. It has great power and handles better at high speeds with the longer wheelbase.

Have you owned both? Rotaries are amazing. I've never seen such a tiny engine that can flow such a large turbo.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 AM

I ended up with the RX7 and have driven 5000kms since June (So much for 6000 a year which I posted on this page, aha...) and nothing had gone wrong. I replaced plugs and wires and fuel filter just because why not replace old parts. Only problem I've had is the fact I flooded the car by not letting it warm up before shutting it off. It's now at 100,600kms and it still runs great.

Buuuuuut... I'm actually looking to sell it and buy a Miata now. I live in the city and get 10-12mpg, 12 being the best so far. I got 23mpg on the highway which involved staying in 5th as much as possible, even if i meant accelerating at a very slow rate. I'm trying to trade it for a Miata or sell and buy a MIata and then once I'm working full-time in the summer I'll build a turbo set-up for it and hope for ~250whp and 2200lbs. I've also been considering saving until April, selling he RX7 and buying an s2000. I just have to decide if I want a 250whp Miata with coilovers, wheels and tires for ~9,000 or a stock ap1 for ~12,000.

It's fun to see somethign like a 20b (2L 3-rotor) hit 500whp EASILY with only around 12-15lbs of boost. You would need a ton of boost to get a 2L piston engine to get 500whp and would need to build the internals.

Quick Reply: FC Rx7 VS NA Miata