Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose.
1991 Mazda Rx7
52.54%
1992 Mazda Miata
47.46%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

FC Rx7 VS NA Miata

Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous car was an FC and they are freaking awesome cars! But I would choose the miata, the parts for the rx7 are ridiculously hard to find and they are just a headache when something breaks on them.

But my opinion

If you want something fun to drive, get the rx7

If you want something that will last and will be worth the investment, get the miata
Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC 94
I think you'll grow really attached to the Miata. I certainly have become attached to mine. I'm in the same age group as you and your friends will give you a bunch of crap for the car, but you get used to it. The car is seriously fun, and every possible problem has been documented on Miata.net. Insurance is cheap, parts are cheap, it's good on gas. It's not necessarily the largest car but you've already said that's not a problem.

I'm slightly biased but for me it's Miata, no question.

Edit: There's also a lot you can do to tweak the looks a little bit. Certain things make the car really standout. I prefer the NB for looks, but the NA definitely is a looker with the right stuff.
I could care less what others think about my car. I've heard enough garbage owning a completely stock Civic. Insurance isn't an issue because it's under my parents. Both cars will be roughly the same amount a month. But I agree on parts... Miata's have so much aftermarket potential, which rx7's do not and cost twice as much for stuff like an exhaust. I just plan on lowering + wheels. I don't plan on doing any track days or autox' so springs is all I'll need and then wheels I already have chosen (Kosei's).

Originally Posted by lunardeathgod
My previous car was an FC and they are freaking awesome cars! But I would choose the miata, the parts for the rx7 are ridiculously hard to find and they are just a headache when something breaks on them.

But my opinion

If you want something fun to drive, get the rx7

If you want something that will last and will be worth the investment, get the miata
How many miles did your FC have and have you had a lot of problems with it or had to fix things that weren't usual wear and tear items? I'm sorta on the verge of choosing the Rx7. I just love the looks compared to the Miata, but as stated, the Miata is the smarter decision and I can't go wrong with a Miata.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM

If you werent so far id sell you my 99 miata with 66k miles for almost what these people are asking for na's.

Id go with the miata though with hardtop.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Miata will be a more solid choice for maintenance and other considerations.

I would however be asking for that NA at about 4000 even, incl the hardtop.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Rx7's are cool in their own right but, for a DD I would put reliability above all else. Great cars with great aftermarket support and a huge and very helpful and knowledeable community.

Hell, I'm actually looking for a NA myself to share space with my s2000. I want to use it as a learning experience at track days and feel more comfortable with pushing my s2000 the way it was meant to. (How many of us have dumpt 10's of thousands if not more to only be scared something will happen to it? I know I'm guilty)

And when you graduate college you will most likely look at a diff platform entirely. When I was in college I was looking at 1jz's to transplant into my sc300 now, I'm on autotrader looking at c6z's.

I say go to miata.net, print out the inspection checklist and comb over the yellow with the hardtop.

Sent from my samsung galaxy S using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy that FC so fast if it was in the area. But only as a second car. It looks outrageously clean for an FC, and one that's spent its life in Canada.. that's crazy clean.

I think the FC is the cooler car and the NA is the smarter car. Right now the vote is split half and half, and we can't make his decision for you. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Benn-O
Rx7's are cool in their own right but, for a DD I would put reliability above all else. Great cars with great aftermarket support and a huge and very helpful and knowledeable community.

Hell, I'm actually looking for a NA myself to share space with my s2000. I want to use it as a learning experience at track days and feel more comfortable with pushing my s2000 the way it was meant to. (How many of us have dumpt 10's of thousands if not more to only be scared something will happen to it? I know I'm guilty)

And when you graduate college you will most likely look at a diff platform entirely. When I was in college I was looking at 1jz's to transplant into my sc300 now, I'm on autotrader looking at c6z's.

I say go to miata.net, print out the inspection checklist and comb over the yellow with the hardtop.

The rx7 forum actually has a lot of members and lots of information. When I'm graduated college I'll most likely be looking at z06's, if I find a nice job of course...aha.

Originally Posted by steamedturtle
I would buy that FC so fast if it was in the area. But only as a second car. It looks outrageously clean for an FC, and one that's spent its life in Canada.. that's crazy clean.

I think the FC is the cooler car and the NA is the smarter car. Right now the vote is split half and half, and we can't make his decision for you. Good luck!
I'm really nervous he sells it soon. I've never seen such a clean rx7, especially with that mileage. But at the same time that scares me... Why would he only be selling it for 4,500 certified? Surely he's noticed other examples in that price range have 50-100% more kms and aren't as clean. Most have had to be rebuilt as well.

I actually am gonna go with the rx7, but I have another 500 bucks to save up. If he sells it by the time I have the 500 I'll get the Miata. If it's still for sale I'm picking up the rx7
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM

If you want to learn how to REALLY drive a car.

Get the miata.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan2949
Originally Posted by Benn-O' timestamp='1339879902' post='21787295

The rx7 forum actually has a lot of members and lots of information. When I'm graduated college I'll most likely be looking at z06's, if I find a nice job of course...aha.

I'm really nervous he sells it soon. I've never seen such a clean rx7, especially with that mileage. But at the same time that scares me... Why would he only be selling it for 4,500 certified? Surely he's noticed other examples in that price range have 50-100% more kms and aren't as clean. Most have had to be rebuilt as well.

I actually am gonna go with the rx7, but I have another 500 bucks to save up. If he sells it by the time I have the 500 I'll get the Miata. If it's still for sale I'm picking up the rx7
Mine had something around 130k miles on it, it ran strong. And most of the problems I had was from the previous owner not fixing the car right the first time. Mechanically I didnt have problems with it other than some electrical stuff. If I were to buy another FC, I would buy one with a rebuilt motor that was turbo 2.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by lunardeathgod
Originally Posted by Ryan2949' timestamp='1339898690' post='21787677
[quote name='Benn-O' timestamp='1339879902' post='21787295']

Mine had something around 130k miles on it, it ran strong. And most of the problems I had was from the previous owner not fixing the car right the first time. Mechanically I didnt have problems with it other than some electrical stuff. If I were to buy another FC, I would buy one with a rebuilt motor that was turbo 2.
[/quote]

What's a positive side of buying one with a rebuilt engine? Surely it would have to be rebuilt again in another 100-160000 miles.

Quick Reply: FC Rx7 VS NA Miata