Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Favorite Car Features by Brand (Model)

Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Favorite Car Features by Brand (Model)

I have been traveling frequently and therefore get to drive several different types of rental cars. this suits me fine as i try to pick cars i would be interested in purchasing one day.
That being said, there are several little features that make a car nice or not nice, and i figured we could make a master list of "special" features.
I will try to new features to this list as i see them, so please add them below.

1) Delayed lock: press the lock button and the door will lock 3 seconds AFTER you shut the last door.
- GM Vehicles

2) Cruise control evolved: When set, the accel and coast buttons will increase/decrease your speed in 1 MPH increments.
- Dodge (Charger)

3) Bluetooth handsfree: Most cars have it, I will put notes by them.
- Ford Sync: worst sound quality so far. wife wont even talk to me on one. Reconnect works well (Mustang, Fusion, Escape)
- Hyundai/Kia: works well, must lean back and talk loudly towards the ceiling. Reconnect is flawless. (Sonata, Optima)
- Dodge: Best sound quality BY FAR. Reconnect never worked. (Charger)

4) Eco Button: Helps get better MPG until you floor it.
- Hyundai (Sonata) (36 MPG Hwy @ 80)
- Toyota (Prius) (48 MPG mixed driving)

5) Auto Headlights: How is this not standard on all cars?
- GM Vehicles
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes - Air scarf.

Porsche (I know some others have it) - Sports exhaust with electronic baffles that control exhaust note - sick!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 AM

VTEC

ive always liked the cooled seats in Lexuses.
G force gauge in the older Z cars.
Steering Wheel warmers in some cars.. i cant for the life of me remember which.
Love Auto leveling/turning headlights

Bose "wave" audio system in the FD rx-7..
i always thought that was a cool design for small cars.
wish it would have caught on.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't know if they still have it in any of their cars but Mazda 626's used to have an oscillating center vent.

I also liked the redline alarm in my dads RX7. Hit the rev limiter and get a loud tone. It was not real valuable, I just liked the sound of it when I wound it out.

His A4 had a feature that allowed you to put down the windows with the keyfob. It was nice on a hot day to put the windows down when approaching the car from 100 feet away.

I like the increased usage of proximity keys. Unlocks the door when you are close to the car and key is in your pocket so when your hands are full of grocery bags or something, you don't have to fumble for the keys.

Even with all the features listed, I still prefer a car like an S2000 or Elise that puts light weight and fun to drive over bells and whistles.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I don't know if they still have it in any of their cars but Mazda 626's used to have an oscillating center vent.

i remember those.
i always thought that was cool.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love proximity keys but in my experience, proximity keys don't unlock the car until you put your hand into the door.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

NO ELECTRICITY INVOLVED: My old Datsun 310 had pop-open rear quarter windows, operated by cables that ran to sliding knobs in the rear of the console; placed where anyone in the car could readily reach. Worked great!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

GM also had the heated windshield wiper blades, until they became a fire hazard. Always thought that was pretty cool.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

On my 335
Active headlights-follows the steering wheel so it lights up the curve you are turning into.
Active steering, easy steering effort in parking lots and increases to heavier more direct feel at speed.
Flashlights that come in most modern BMW gloveboxes.
CAN exhaust flaps I can open and close from the steering wheel controls for sporty or quiet stock exhaust.
A/C center console, I guess if you want to keep your chocolate bars inside?

On the Lotus- Being able to slalom cones at highway speeds
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

On the Accord Crosstour the rear seats fold forward for additional cargo space in the hatch. However, rather than having to reach quite far into the rear of the car to hit a switch on the seat itself, there are buttons right inside the rear hatch that you can hit to make the seats fold down. Simple but a great idea.

Quick Reply: Favorite Car Features by Brand (Model)