Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Fatal Carrera GT crash

Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Accidents happen, Alex. You have to live your life.

It's really a shocker to hear about this at a track event.

RIP
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexh,Jun 3 2005, 04:41 PM
Tragic...mental note don't do high speed racing of any kind if you are a parent and want to be around for the kid(s)...stick to autocross and daily commute they are dangerous enough!
You may put mind at ease. The S2000 cannot summon anything like the speeds a CGT can. It would be a bit of a project to get yourself killed at a proper race track with adequate run off in an S2000.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jun 3 2005, 10:19 AM
You always want the cockpit to hold up well, that is more what I was looking at. I bet a harness and a hans device would help. You don't need them in most cars, but the speeds that the GT can produce probably warrant it, especially on a track.
Rest of the car looked pretty intact as well. Don't see much energy being convertered.

Sam
Old 06-03-2005, 09:05 PM

I don't know if it's just the internet or whatever, but why do people think a darkened image of a CGT is a sensible memorial tribute to this person? Like, if I were a normal, successful person, and I went off a cliff with a passenger on my Ducati, the last f*cking thing I would ever want loved ones to see on my gravestone is the bike...

I mean I know this guy was rich and posted comments and all but he was a person, not some stupid overpriced car.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:53 PM

this kind of news really sucks .....i feel so bad for those ppl , just not right , RIP guys
Old 06-04-2005, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by protokultur,Jun 4 2005, 05:05 AM
I don't know if it's just the internet or whatever, but why do people think a darkened image of a CGT is a sensible memorial tribute to this person? Like, if I were a normal, successful person, and I went off a cliff with a passenger on my Ducati, the last f*cking thing I would ever want loved ones to see on my gravestone is the bike...

I mean I know this guy was rich and posted comments and all but he was a person, not some stupid overpriced car.
no i think you have the wrong end of the stick.

this guy meant allot to the porshe community and he went out of his way to help fellow enthusiasts.
i know this may sound a bit wrong, but maybe people want to see the picture of his car, maybe not to see what happened but to have a memory of an unfortunat death to a friend.

one of my friends died a few years back when he took a corner too fast, flipped the car and hit a brick wall, i still have a picture of the crashed car, but i also have pictures of him, and everything we did together as friends, it all just adds up to my memory of him.

its very sad to hear of this guys death, hopfully this will bring in new guidlines to how the martials are trained.

as i said before

RIP
Old 06-04-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by protokultur,Jun 4 2005, 05:05 AM

But you have to put this into context. Most people knew about him from the Porsche board, & his love of his car (the Carrera GT). Just like if somebody would have passed on this board most people would think about him from an S2000 perspective. And his posts on here, about how much he loved his car, etc. From an internet perspective, this is a big part of how they knew the person. How many people on this board do you know personally ? Have pictures of the person ? Have pictures of the other person at different events (Not S2000 related) ? Probably the answer to all these questions is none/very few.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:24 PM

It is a very small world. I happen to know the driver of the Challenge Stradale that was entering the track at the time of the accident (and first to reach the crashed CGT).

I ride my motorcycle with him and his neighbor, who told me about it during a ride today. In that circle of friends I'm the slow guy. The F-car guy is an ex-Formula Atlantic racer, hardcore sportbiker (I never knew squids could live to that age), and a constant track day driver/rider. Anyway, I doubt he misjudged anything considering how long he's been driving fast and my witnessing his skills. But I haven't talked to him about it yet.

Very weird to read about it here and then hear it from his neighbor!
Old 06-04-2005, 06:46 PM

How tragic and upsetting to hear.

My condolences to the familes.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:05 AM

Yes this is truly sad. He was one of the most informative guys on Rennlist.com and 6speedonline. Everyone I know looked forward to his posts. He was a great guy. R.I.P.

Quick Reply: Fatal Carrera GT crash