Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Family guys and second fun cars

Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zo6
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 19 2007, 12:35 PM
OT: it does cost a lot, with having a third (4th car) taking her on our vacation etc.. but allows my wife to work more than pays for it.
you take your Au Pair on your vacations... damn rai... your digging yourself a deeper "im rich, bitch" hole arent ya just kiddin...

to the OP... im not married, but i have a similar situation... not a lot of time and have 2 cars, a 330 Coupe and the S2000 weekend/track car... the 330 was the intended daily driver, and its a great and dynamic daily driver... a joy to drive that i look forward to... but the S2K shifter did me in ... now my S2K is daily driven 3 or 4 days a week and is the track car

but some days i just want a more relaxed easy going drive to work or i need to carry more people or cargo/gear, or go on a long trip... i always have the Bimmer...

the point is, even if you have a boring daily driver doesnt mean you cant sneak the sports car out couple days a week to work... you can still enjoy it...

im a great fan of what BMW has done with their M3's... it IS the ultimate compromise car... but only if you can have only 1 car... some people only have garage space for 1 car... or dont want to maintain 2 cars, or need to drive a long distance to get their thrills, etc...
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM

you guys are forgeting the man's second best friend... THE MOTORCYCLE
sure, it requires training... sure, it is inherently more dangerous... BUT, MMMAAANNN... there is nothing like it

my perfect garage (on a budget) would include the S2000, a crewcab extended bed truck (slightly raised, 3" or so; maybe diesel), a comfortable motorcycle, a boat, and an ATV... that would cover all the bases.

a single sport/lux. sedan will do almost everything well, but nothing excelently (is that a word?)
Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I have a motorcycle license and have owned a sport bike previously, but I am currently forbidden from buying a motorcycle (wife). In a way, I don't disagree with her because my proclivity towards speed would probably get me killed before long. If I'm going to haul a**, I prefer to have a steel cage around me.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Sep 20 2007, 06:17 AM
Just check your policy. Mine has an explicit clause that includes coverage for non-competitive, non-timed events, i.e. HPDEs. But autocrosses and wheel-to-wheel would be excluded.
I need to call my carrier and see what the deal is before making any final decisions.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Have a beater track car and a nice daily driver. Tracking your only car is short sighted and foolish.

My combo is a 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R as a dedicated track/autcross/road race car. Total build under $6k, expendibles are super cheap and replacement parts are easy to find. I can bang this car up and not put my family out.

Daily driver is a 2005 EvoVIII. Very practical car that accomodates baby seats and multiple passengers. Will eventually a great track car when it gets old enough and I buy something new. I will know every mile on this car and all maintenance history since mile 8.

The problem with having too many fun cars is which to drive on weekend canyon runs!!!??

Oh, I also fixed up nice weekenders for my wife, so she doesn't feel left out.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 20 2007, 12:55 PM
I have a motorcycle license and have owned a sport bike previously, but I am currently forbidden from buying a motorcycle (wife). In a way, I don't disagree with her because my proclivity towards speed would probably get me killed before long. If I'm going to haul a**, I prefer to have a steel cage around me.
Yup, my sport bike is retired and sitting in my childhood garage.

The S2000 was my replacement.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Visco,Sep 20 2007, 12:59 PM
Have a beater track car and a nice daily driver.

Pilot Sport Cups for an S2000 are $210 per tire.

Pilot Sport Cups for a GT3 are $517 per rear tire.

Eventually the S2000 will be retired into hard-core track use. My blood isn't rich enough to track a GT3.

And I still think you could have more fun with an Ariel Atom or shifter cart on a track.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Sep 20 2007, 01:42 PM
My blood isn't rich enough to track a GT3.
I dont think mine will ever be. I would feel guilty even though thats what its built for.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

the key to the original question of how is as follows: I don't get away with anything...sometimes i pay due to the 2nd car being brought up in arguments as a justfication for my wife spending this and that....so how is as follows:

I can afford it and my wife has given her permission, it is after all our money. i am married 29 years and have two kids. the kids have cars, my wife has a car and I have two cars.

I have owned roadsters or sports cars or convertibles on and off for over 27 years, when i could afford it. When the kids came i put that aside for a 2 door then a 4 door and then a wagon and then a minivan. doing it in stages seemed to help with the transition.

after a while the family car became my wifes and i got a 4 door sports sedan and a miata. the miata was fine and cheap but not enough car. then i sold both and got a mustang GT convertible(seating for 4)....it was junk, this was my 2nd mustang gt convertible, both fell apart...warranty or not, they did not hold up.

so then a 4 door and eventually another miata...again affordable and not enough car....and that miata was also junk...perhaps the worst car i have ever owned...so we now have the S2000 enter the picture, perhaps the best car-most satisfying roadster i have ever owned.

i have a 2004 acura tl nav 6 speed i got used and my honda. i am soooo satisfied with both that i long for nothing else..this is strange for me...usually i look to the next car...

so that is how and why...your mileage may vary.

Quick Reply: Family guys and second fun cars