Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Family guys and second fun cars

Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of the Au pair or BAN!!!

Btw, Cory a good friend of mine works at the Peltier Chevy in Tyler. I can get you a smoking deal when you are ready.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks, Ritesh. I'll definitely give your dealer a shot if I go that route.

I really appreciate all the comments, but I think I didn't clearly define my original intent of this thread.

Money is not a factor. If you think about it a $50k Vette and a $15k IS300 is the same as a $65k M3, C63, etc. IS300 is already paid off and any new car won't be financed. Wife doesn't work, so I make an infinite amount more than her.

What I was really trying to ask was this:

Does anyone who doesn't have much free time due to family, work, etc. get frustrated that they have a fun, fancy sports car sitting in the garage while they grudge to work every day driving a more plebian daily beater?

I just wonder if my net 'FUN' level would be higher having a more expensive, fun, all-around sports sedan that I could enjoy every single day to work and to the occasional autocross/track day? Obviously, it wouldn't perform as well as a new C6, but it would possibly be 'good enough. Or not?

Hell, even those of you who have a fancy daily driver like a 335i or the like and a sports car in the garage, do you feel it's a 'waste' if you don't have much time to enjoy the sports car or is a luxury that is savored when the opportunity arises?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Reading through this thread a third time, I am starting to lean back towards the C6 and keeping the IS300. Any 'do it all' car even one as sweet as a new M3, IS-F, C63, etc. would still be a compromise car. hmmm...

Also, I didn't have a freaking clue what an "Au Pair" was until I googled it. I learn something new everyday. I also learned that I may need one too.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Get the Vette. You REALLY seem to dig them. Then, get a nicer/more fun DD, like a 335i, down the road. I suspect you'll be disappointed in whatever you get if it's not the Vette. My $.02 worth.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bjohnston,Sep 20 2007, 04:52 AM] Get the Vette.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Oh, and as for me, when I got my new FX, my Old Lady told me over and over to keep my S. I didn't listen. I am pretty financially conservative and did not feel as though we needed 3 cars, regardless of whether we could afford them. I sold it and now regret it. Oh well. I'll probably just wait a little while and get a Boxster S (or, less likely, a Vette). I did ask her if I could get a 355, and, for some reason, she didn't think I was serious. I now like the idea of having a dedicated fun car. Get the Vette.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not really the target audience for your question since I'm not married and don't really have a shortage of free time, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway.

I have a 4-door 1995 Accord EX 5spd as my daily and the S2000 as my fun car / weekend racer. Obviously, the Accord is not a spectacular vehicle, but it's comfortable, reliable and relatively efficient. I like driving it to work (and pretty much everywhere) because I don't stress about it. I get front row parking and don't worry about door dings or shopping carts. I don't fret if I get caught in a hailstorm. Plus, I can comfortably haul 3 other people (and luggage, if applicable) with me.

Sure, there are nice days when I get half way to work and wish I was cruising in the S2000, but it's really not that big of a deal. I always remind myself that the 20 minutes of pleasure during the drive would be followed by 8 hours of anxiety while I know the car could be getting dinged (or even stolen, as we've had issues at work) while sitting in the parking garage.

Now, if I had the finances, I'd have a different choice for DD & weekender, but these two are the ones that fit my budget. I'd say my biggest piece of advice is that your DD has to be something that you still enjoy driving (for whatever reason... whether it's the performance, or the peace of mind it gives you, or whatever).

You get used to leaving the weekender at home, and you learn to enjoy it when you can. Kinda like a big screen TV. For the morning news, you're satisfied watching the 27" in the living room, but when it's time for your Aggies to get manhandled by the Longhorns, you sit down in front of the 100" front projection.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 19 2007, 06:41 PM
Also, I didn't have a freaking clue what an "Au Pair" was until I googled it. I learn something new everyday. I also learned that I may need one too.
I only knew what it was because I saw the movie on the Disney channel or something. After seeing that, I think I need one, too!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Sep 20 2007, 01:02 AM] Now, if I had the finances, I'd have a different choice for DD & weekender, but these two are the ones that fit my budget.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And when I really want to have fun I cruise on my backyard, Jetstream Blue baby!

Quick Reply: Family guys and second fun cars