Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Eyeglasses Question

Old 08-05-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eyeglasses Question

I'm taking an MSF class this summer, and I was wondering if eyeglasses worn during riding posses a problem? Any helpful information will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:37 PM

I roadraced for 10 years with glasses or contacts. Do yourself a favor get LASIK or some type of vision correction (LASEK-PRK-implantable IOL's) best thing you can do for your riding. I had LASIK done 4 months ago and what a huge difference it makes in your riding. Setting up for the corners , hitting your braking points , drifting the bike into corners without having to re-adjust your vision because your glasses or contacts shifted. Good luck in the class, after you get more miles enroll in a racing school so you can really learn to have fun. Cages will really suck even the S when your bike tires show the world you are a real rider.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally wear contacts when I ride. Once I tried wearing my glasses for a quick ride to work and back. It scared the hell out of me. I found that when wearing a properly fitting helmet, my glasses didn't sit properly on my face, and bounced up and down a bunch. That had a tendency to constantly change my perspective looking through the lens'. Plus, I really noticed the reduction in peripheral vision (though that could be because of my choice in frames), and I didn't like that one bit. I personally will never ride in a pair of glasses again.

You need to get the helmet that you'll be wearing for the course and try it on with your glasses and see what you think. I know many people who ride and race with glasses. Your choice in helmet and frames is going to really decide if you can do this or not.

Chris.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 AM
KGB

I wear glasses and it's ok. Obviously it's better without them, but if you can't see well without glasses - wear them! Contacs are another option, but I never got used to them. So I just put the glasses under my helmet and it works just fine. I have Arai RX7RR that is a little bit too loose. I think the bouncing issue is more of dependant on how your frames fit than on your helmet fit.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:21 AM
KGB

oh once my frames' screw got loose from vibration and my left lens flew out. that was really weird, because i didn't notice the lens flying out and just thought somehting was funky w/ my eyes. probably would be more noticeable if i had a stronger prescription.

anyway, the point is if u do wear glasses check the frame screws on occasion to avoid the above incident.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the information. I usually where my glasses if I will be venturing into an unfamiliar area, i.e. reading street signs and such things.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:56 AM

I second the LASIK recommendation - best investment I've ever made!
Old 08-07-2004, 06:58 AM

I wear contacts. Glasses do reduce your peripheral vision.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:05 AM

I wear glasses most of the time. I've never had a problem. I always wear a helmet to, so I don't worry about them flying off.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:30 PM

Talking

I wear glasses and have needed them whenever I ride during the past seven years that I've been doing serious street riding. My typical routine is to take off my glasses and hold one of the handles in my mouth while I put on my helmet, then put the glasses in place. On occasion I'll have to make an adjustment or two when I first start riding, but then they stay in place for the rest of the ride. Fortunately I wear Shoei helmets that make it easy to open the face shield and close it again.

I found it interesting that the Shoei RF-1000 has about 1/4" less room for glasses at the top than the RF-700 and RF-800 helmets.

Contacts are too much bother and there's no way I'm letting somebody cut on my eye with a laser when they don't know if there will be additional problems twenty or thirty years from now.

Glasses work perfectly well for me.

Quick Reply: Eyeglasses Question