Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Exhaust Noises (Not S2K related)

Old 01-19-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Noises (Not S2K related)

I know that this is not S2K related, but I need advise fast so I am posting this up on every forum I can think of. Please help if you can, I need to have this problem resolved by Friday afternoon. I have a '70 Chevelle Coupe that is making some scary noises. When I turn the engine on the driver's side exhaust rattles at idle. I just had exhaust cut-outs put on so I thought that that side was hitting something, but that is not the case. More recently it has been making even worse noises. It will run for a bit then it will make this loud bang, like somebody hit the exhaust with a hammer. I watched different parts of the car for a bit. It is not a backfire, the exhaust cutout is not hitting anything, only the driver's side rattles while the passenger side stays put. The header is on tight because I just put a new gasket in today. Here are some of my questions. Could putting the passenger side header gasket on the driver's side create this problem? Could the exhaust cutout somehow be the problem? Keep in mind it ran perfect until I got the exhaust cutouts put on and then the rattling started. The loud bang didn't start until I changed the header gasket.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Take it back to the exhaust shop that installed the cut outs. Not many people on this board even know what a Chevelle looks like, let alone work on one.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mbonanni1856,Jan 19 2005, 07:09 PM
I know that this is not S2K related, but I need advise fast so I am posting this up on every forum I can think of.
Moving to Car Talk. Under the Hood is dedicated to S2000 stuff.