Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO8 -- Why Can't they Get It Right The First Time???

Old 04-11-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can argue for ten pages or more about what we don't get in the US compared to Japan or Europe. All I can say regarding the Evo is, for the money, you get a car that kicks the ass of all the 6-speeds in it's class or more here, and in potential, they are already making 12's on the tracks. So let the performance speak for whatever might seem lacking...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:36 PM

I wouldn't think a car with torque like the Evo has would need a 6 speed nearly as much as a car with less torque that needs to be kept in its powerband like the S2000 does. I would drive it to decide whether it needs it before dismissing it just because it has a 5 speed.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:23 PM
pfb

Originally posted by waltk88
Lack of 6 speed isn't really such a big a deal for a car with a fat turbo torque curve. I would take AYC over a 6 speed box.
But would you take the tiny gas tank and abysmal driving range that you get with the AYC? My understanding is that fuel tank size/driving range was a key factor in Mitsu's decision to clip the AYC from the US market.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:55 PM

I went with a friend to test drive an evo8 yesterday and holy sh!te that thing kicked some butt in both accelleration and handling! It definitely looks alot better in person than in the pictures...

I think by the time I'm ready to get a new car it'll just be in time for the Evo9. You know Mitsubishi will be coming out with an Evo with the ACD, AYD, the 6 speed and no doubt more HP to compete with the US STi.

Personally I don't buy that crap that we drive our cars harder here so they gave us the 5spd, it's budget pure and simple. But given how well it performed and felt it's not a drawback in my book. I may have a deposit on a STi but I'll probably wait until I see what Mitsubishi has in store to counter it once the Subie hits the states.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I hear the Evo kicks butt! I can never see myself purchasing one though. If I'm gonna drop $30k on a car I've got to be COMPLETELY happy with it. Remember, you're going to look at it, drive it, make payments on it.

It's like saying you're going to marry a girl just because she can "cook". Don't forget you have to wake up with her every morning and "look" at her too. It has to be a completely satisfying experience.

Now, if she's your type then make the commitment.

The S2k is the complete package; sex appeal, performance, mystic, convertible (turns from brunette to blonde whenever I want). She can "cook" and look good doing it!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:37 AM

went to the dealership yesterday to actually sit in the EVO. they had a black and a yellow. interior is nice and roomy, seats are comfy but i'm so used to having that sixth gear. don't get me wrong, if i had an extra 35gs lying around, i'd get that car.

my buddy is in love with it. he was seriously considering trading in his gti 1.8t.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wantone
[B]Scot, no doubt EVO 8's an awesome car.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:49 PM

[B]So I'm still looking for a car for myself.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:28 PM

Hey Scot, or anyone else with an EVO...How fun would you say it was to drive the EVO compared to the s? I know they're completely different cars, but I'd be interested in knowing what that "X" factor is in some people's minds...
Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Banned

[B]So I'm still looking for a car for myself.

Quick Reply: EVO8 -- Why Can't they Get It Right The First Time???