Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO X Horsepower Question

Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People really exaggerate how quiet the RRE Stealth is. It's as quiet as any 3 inch exhaust with a resonator. You're not gonna put it on and fool anyone into thinking it's stock. From inside the cabin and outside it's louder without a doubt.

With that said, it's one of the quietest mainly because many other exhaust manufacturers use fart can mufflers (HKS) and sometimes no resonators. It's the only exhaust I'd put on my car living in Cali since it looks stealth and is reasonably quiet. My definition of quiet is stock, all after market exhausts are loud to me, especially on the freeway where Evo's are north of 3K RPM at 70MPH.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Sep 21 2010, 03:22 PM
People really exaggerate how quiet the RRE Stealth is. It's as quiet as any 3 inch exhaust with a resonator. You're not gonna put it on and fool anyone into thinking it's stock. From inside the cabin and outside it's louder without a doubt.

With that said, it's one of the quietest mainly because many other exhaust manufacturers use fart can mufflers (HKS) and sometimes no resonators. It's the only exhaust I'd put on my car living in Cali since it looks stealth and is reasonably quiet. My definition of quiet is stock, all after market exhausts are loud to me, especially on the freeway where Evo's are north of 3K RPM at 70MPH.
Very helpful information, thanks. I just think back to how loud the stock exhausts were on '06 STi's. They were pretty loud for being OEM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM

if youre in socal you cant really go wrong with RRE... they are the only ones that touch my evo 9. I have their tune, and turbo back with aem intake. For evo x's i believe the aem intake is enough to push you to 320ish Mind you that AEM is carb legal so thats always a plus..

like most of the guys here said TBE , injectors, aem intake, fuel pump injectors and intercooler...

turbo, cams will push you into the 400+ mark. But it all depends on what you want to do with your car.

I say if u DD your X 350 would be still streetable and will be less hassle with cops and emmission.

TLike with the old gen evo the X is proving to be MOD friendly as you can easily get a huge amount of power with just the basic bolt ons and a good tune. Mike W. knows his stuff with the evo X's.

And yah the S2Kemp guy there is a mechanic at the shop. that car is turboed. and he tracks it i believe. hes a pretty cool guy. nice custom bumper and nice stance on his car i beleive cr kais bronze runnin on all 255's
Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by scuderiax8,Sep 21 2010, 04:46 PM
if youre in socal you cant really go wrong with RRE... they are the only ones that touch my evo 9. I have their tune, and turbo back with aem intake. For evo x's i believe the aem intake is enough to push you to 320ish Mind you that AEM is carb legal so thats always a plus..

like most of the guys here said TBE , injectors, aem intake, fuel pump injectors and intercooler...

turbo, cams will push you into the 400+ mark. But it all depends on what you want to do with your car.

I say if u DD your X 350 would be still streetable and will be less hassle with cops and emmission.

TLike with the old gen evo the X is proving to be MOD friendly as you can easily get a huge amount of power with just the basic bolt ons and a good tune. Mike W. knows his stuff with the evo X's.

And yah the S2Kemp guy there is a mechanic at the shop. that car is turboed. and he tracks it i believe. hes a pretty cool guy. nice custom bumper and nice stance on his car i beleive cr kais bronze runnin on all 255's
More good information. I am in Northern California, but could easily take my car down to RRE and leave it with them for 2 days.

Thanks for the positive thoughts on RRE
Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I just went through the same thing with my STi. I kept it at a TBE, CAI, EBCS, and tune. I told them it was a DD and to do a conservative tune (IE not 20+ psi). Cobb ended up at 291 HP to the wheels and 340 ft. lbs of torque. They also mapped the si drive for me and my efficiency map is tits. Saw 27MPG on the highway. Overall, I'm averaging a couple MPG better than stock. Win/win.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,Sep 21 2010, 01:22 PM

+210345981723049812 to this

i had the RRE stealth on my IX (different animal, same concept), and it was still very loud on the freeway traveling at 75mph-ish. there is still an insane amount of resonance and vibration when the engine is under high load at low RPMs (i do try to accelerate as gently as possible up to 2500rpm, but sometimes that just don't work in certain traffic situations). at high RPMs such as freeway speed (around 3500rpm) the drone was insane.

with my STi, the idea was the stock VF turbo wasn't big enough to warrant a full 3'' catback, plus i didnt run a test pipe because i had one on the IX and was scared crapless everytime a motorbike cop was near. so i had the stock muffler with a 3'' downpipe. of course the car only made around 300whp vs. my IX's 330whp, but it was much more comforting on the ears esp. for the daily 120 miles I had to commute.

with the X the stock exhaust has quite a bit of drone on the freeway already - the gears in the tranny were shortened vs. the previous generations, aka. higher RPM at freeway speeds. bloody loud.

i don't think i'll be getting an exhaust for my X. aka. it'll be slow forever, but i'm going to save up for something with a v8 that has a proper growl
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 AM

^^^ Very interesting. Thanks!! After further consideration, I am torn between the Evo X and the 2011 STi 4 Door. I think I will end up with the one I get the best deal on.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know much about the Evo X but on the Evo 9, a turboback, fuel pump, intake, MBC and a tune can get you an extra 100awhp and very reliable also.

I put about 50k miles with 330awhp and not a single problem ever. All the mods including the tune cost about $1500 total.

I'm guessing the X should be very mod friendly also.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention that every single mod you put on the Evo needs a tune or it wont run properly, so I suggest you do all your mods at the same time then get the tune. I believe the only mod that's ok to run without a tune is an exhaust.

BTW All Evos run a little rich from the factory.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Anyone with real life experience, about how much does MPG suffer when reaching around 320-350 whp on Evo's?

Quick Reply: EVO X Horsepower Question