Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO X Horsepower Question

Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vishnu screws people over
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duboseq,Sep 19 2010, 04:48 PM
what are some drawbacks with the Vishnu package? After watching the vid and reading people post about it, sounded like a good bang for the buck.
think hennessey for turbo cars and the miata. they started screwing over miata owners and moved on from there. It's a long sordid tale. If you are curious it's all over the interwebz.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM

For basic bolt-on's you can do a UICP (Upper Intercooler Pipe), since the stock one will expand when your boosting, a drop in filter (Cosworth), test pipe or hi-flow cat (metal substrate), a 3" exhaust and a tune. For a tune, you can either go with an Accessport or a ECUtune with a tactrix cable. A downpipe is not really necessary since the stock one is nearly 3" in diameter, and a aftermarket o2 housing is not really necessary until you go with a larger turbo.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevoe88,Sep 18 2010, 02:15 AM

EQ is the only place I know of that does open source tuning for 400 dollars flat. If you aren't planning on swapping maps every other week, then EQ is the best out there. They also save your OEM base map and your tuned map so in case you need to flash it back to stock you could. Just bring a USB flash drive and they'll give everything to you.
My ex-roommate works there now, I know all about how they work. Plus they don't dyno tune, they do it the real way

I've sent over my flashpro calibrations, log and software to see if he'd be interested in tuning S' as well. If I had a EVO/STi that's the only place I'd take my car. All you have to do is youtube EQTuning and you'll understand why. The results he produces are actually 'controversial' the on STi boards; people think that his results, and clients 1/4mi time slips are fake. There's an 05 STi that's running high 11's on the stock turbo with NO GRIP at all
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hisSAnST63I [/media]

People think that video was edited and the time slips are fake
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 AM

Great info everyone!! While new cars do not need to be smogged in Cali until four years later, a quiet exhaust with high flow cat would probably be ideal.

To sumamrize: sounds like an UICP, a good tune and an exhaust system (turbo back not necessary). I do not plan on changing tune maps. I think the bolt ons and a good tune will be all my plans as I do not want to get into heavy modding. Just good daily use power.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=OverBooster,Sep 20 2010, 07:39 AM] Great info everyone!!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM

Whatever you do, don't get a loud ass obnoxious exhaust and let the car run sloppy pig rich! You'll make everyone you drive past miserable.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Yay! Time to whore my Evo X! I had pretty good luck with the T1R line of products, however the key is what you do with the ecu. If you're not gonna go with a full tune (meaning take it to a shop and have them build a Cobb map or full tune) then you need to be careful.

I went with:

T1R o2 Housing Downpipe
T1R 76mm Turboback
AMS catless test pipe
T1R Upper and Lower intercooler piping
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb Accessport Stage 2+ map

Loved the exhaust, sounded amazing and doesn't attract much attention. Intercooler piping was excellent, intake sounded great. Couldn't be happier and recommend all of it. However...

Don't get an 02 housing downpipe unless you plan on a full tune, on a dyno. Otherwise you'll overboost all the time and run in limp mode for about 50% of your time owning the car. Avoid the AMS catless test pipe (or any without a cat). There's a reason why the car has an ass ton of cats...it pollutes like crazy...and you won't be able to drive with the windows down from the smell. You can feel yourself dying at stop lights if the windows are down.

Here are couple whore-y vids I put together a while back...they give a good idea of the power from these mods as well as the actual acceleration. In my mind, you absolutely don't need more power than this unless you're on the track + really know how to drive. Finally, don't get stuck on the horsepower numbers...my guess is that this put down maybe an extra 100 hp over stock, and it was plenttttyyyyy.

FWIW, I sold this and came back to the S.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHaQ7O8qgGE [/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutxqcU7FEk [/media]

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

^ Sounded nice.

I'm thinking about picking up a daily in a year or so. I'm stuck between a Evo X GSR or a 06-07 CTS V.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 AM

So, I could even do a drop in air filter, UICP and a quality tune in order to really make the car come alive? Risking the law enforcement hassle of an exhaust may not be necessary?

I get the impression the RRE exhaust is very quiet and essentially looks OEM. Is that accurate?

Quick Reply: EVO X Horsepower Question