Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)

Old 09-17-2004, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vishnu_evo8,Sep 17 2004, 08:21 PM
i think the US evo is better than the us sti in every performance aspect. in stock form the sti is slightly faster in 1/4 mile but teh evo despite 30 less hp is much faster arround a track. i have a 450 hp evo.. and my car is capable of 11.8 1/4 mile times on a stock turbo. i have competed with sti's with turbo upgrades that r runing similar times to me. i am in div 4 of nasa and i race against stis all the time and they are always slow on the track. last sunday i went to sears and watched my friend compete in hpde 2. there were 4 evos n 3 stis. in the end every evo was in front of every sti. The evo is just a better drivers car. the sti is a mushy comuter car. If u look at all the big name races in america like car and driver's 1 lap challenge, the evo won. my tuner's car (vishnu tuning) even beat factory backed 911 gt3's, vipers and z06's. it finished 4th place overall, but more importantly it beat eery sti and wrx out there. i race every week night and i have never lost to an sti and i am running stock turbo. when i get my gt35r itll be even worse.
i also back road race, and i have never seen a fast sti that races back roads in any of the east bay area.

when the mr comes out it will be even worse.
people always think that the sti engine is better because it only boosts 14psi. in fact it is not nearly as strong as the evo engine. that is why people are having so many problems getting power out of them. there are 0 10 sec stis out there and many ecos and very few 11 sec stis and tons of 11 sec evos.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:07 AM

Bestmotoring is a joke. It is a bunch of different level drivers out playing. Sometimes the car in the back will be in the back for 5 laps, then all the sudden start to pass everyone (maybe they found the NOS button?).
That's called smart racing. Don't show your cards.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:13 AM

vishnu_evo8
i think the US evo is better than the us sti in every performance aspect. in stock form the sti is slightly faster in 1/4 mile but teh evo despite 30 less hp is much faster arround a track. i have a 450 hp evo.. and my car is capable of 11.8 1/4 mile times on a stock turbo. i have competed with sti's with turbo upgrades that r runing similar times to me. i am in div 4 of nasa and i race against stis all the time and they are always slow on the track. last sunday i went to sears and watched my friend compete in hpde 2. there were 4 evos n 3 stis. in the end every evo was in front of every sti. The evo is just a better drivers car. the sti is a mushy comuter car. If u look at all the big name races in america like car and driver's 1 lap challenge, the evo won. my tuner's car (vishnu tuning) even beat factory backed 911 gt3's, vipers and z06's. it finished 4th place overall, but more importantly it beat eery sti and wrx out there. i race every week night and i have never lost to an sti and i am running stock turbo. when i get my gt35r itll be even worse.
i also back road race, and i have never seen a fast sti that races back roads in any of the east bay area.

when the mr comes out it will be even worse.
people always think that the sti engine is better because it only boosts 14psi. in fact it is not nearly as strong as the evo engine. that is why people are having so many problems getting power out of them. there are 0 10 sec stis out there and many ecos and very few 11 sec stis and tons of 11 sec evos.
Do you think we care what you think?
Old 09-18-2004, 05:14 AM

vishnu_evo8 = EVO fanboy. And he's got it bad. Real bad.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:48 AM

vishnu evo may be a fanboy,but as an sti owner he makes many valid points.
to make serious, safe power on the sti requires siginificantly more work & $$$ than the evo.
intercoolers: argue all you want, but tuners agree the fmic is better for making power from a tuning standpoint. evo's have it, sti's need it.
sti turbo: maxed out @ or near 310whp on pump gas
sti injectors: maxed out @ same levels
sti internals: it's becoming pretty clear that 400whp is their limit. below that they seem to hold up ok, but for how long remains to be seen as most who claim to have 'street-driven' cars are full of it.
the problem then becomes, do you pay a great deal of money to have forged pistons put in your existing block?
or do you sell yours and buy a built short-block?
piston ring-land failure is a given above 400whp. and if you're there, may as well go with better rod bearings and rods as well, although it may not be needed until you exceed 450-475whp.
aftermarket turbos for sti: bolt-on turbos for th sti are generally underperformers to say the least.
aps entire line of bolt-ons has thus far been underwhelming especially considering the cost.
fpgreens require modification to avoid problems
the entire ihi vf line are a waste of money if you're looking to make good power, not just incremental bumps.
the avo turbo line gets pretty extensive, but unfortunately in a bolt-on configuration things get very difficult due to the way the engine compartmentis packaged.
basically for turbo upgrades, going with a rotated mount custom set-up will eliminate much of the headaches yet cost more $$$ again.

flip that over to the 4g63 and things don't look so grim from an engine standpoint.

drivetrain is a different story.
i loathe the short gearing of the sti 6 spd, but i feel it holds up better than the evo 5 spd.
clutches? no contest, @ mild upgrades the sti clutch imho is better. but it really doesn't matter because both cars need new ones when they upgrade the turbo.

i love my sti, but sometimes i get so frustrated that for my goals (400whp) the evo is an easier road to take.

evo vs sti has been, and will continue to get beaten to death. but just remember the sti needs alot more time, money, tuning, and all around effort to compete with the evo in an arena neither car was designed for. the dragstrip.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:33 PM

Interesting. I'm glad you can shine some light on that. There's been a lot of assumptions going on here.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:45 PM

lol fan boy i am but i speak the truth . as the sti owner stated. both cars are good but evo is a bit better right now as far as performance is concerned. Im putting down 380 to the wheels and im stil running stocj turbo. i will be at the norcal evo vs sti shootout and im hopin for fastest stock turbo car. either way they r both better than s2000s in every way except style maybe
Old 09-18-2004, 02:18 PM

You speak the truth? Hardly.

At the last few trackdays, the STis were tearing it up just as much as the EVOs. They're comparable cars, worthy competitors; possibly even the best matched pair of cars within their own respective target demographic. To make blanket statements such as "the EVO is an outright superior car to the STi" is absurd.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:21 PM

And if they're both better than an S2000 in every way, why was I consistently 5-8sec faster per lap at NASA Time Trials? Around a 2.9mi road course, that's an eternity.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:21 PM

the last few track days where? what course? what config? my car runs sub 2 min laps on infineon long track and 207's at thunderhill in hpde 4.. even the full s2000 race cars only beat that by liek 4 seconds and i have a fully street car. are u in hpde or do u only do time trials.?

Quick Reply: EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)