Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)

Old 09-15-2004, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Sep 15 2004, 02:58 AM
now nevert00fast is complaining about having to switch gears too many times.... blame subaru...

Umm...Did I blame you or Mitsu for the 6 speed in my car?? I was just stating the obivious advantages that the EVO has over the STi in drag racing.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 14 2004, 08:36 PM
Sti forums talking about Evo's ==> "Great car, cant go wrong"
Evo forums talking about the Sti ==> "dOOd. It Suxors huuhuu"
There are jackasses in both camps. I could find you just as many NASIOC posts bashing the EVO as you could find EVOM posts bashing the STi.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM

i'm so glad we can be having these kinds of arguments in the states...kudos to Mitsu and Suby for bringing over these vehicles
it's a great time to be an enthusiast
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 AM

as far as tuned versions go...this article shows the STi as just a bit faster:

http://motortrend.com/features/consu...2_0410_others/

Also, the October issue of MotorTrend compares the STi to Evo MR and they are close to being even. In fact, the STi may have been slightly quicker if extra shifts were not necessary.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat,Sep 15 2004, 10:27 AM
There are jackasses in both camps. I could find you just as many NASIOC posts bashing the EVO as you could find EVOM posts bashing the STi.
I dissagree, there ae as many people on NASIOC who will tell you to buy an Evo as there are who will tell you to get an Evo.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds a little redundant.? eh.

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 15 2004, 07:49 PM
I dissagree, there ae as many people on NASIOC who will tell you to buy an Evo as there are who will tell you to get an Evo.
Just giving ya a hard time...proof read.... A.D.D.? yummy ritalin.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 15 2004, 06:49 PM
Over on the Evo forums, I see that too. It always boils down to "get the STI if you want more comforts."
Old 09-16-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 14 2004, 06:36 PM
This is one of the reasons Sti owners own Sti's... Evo owners have a large population of tards. Sti owners are defiantly more realistic owners.

...Evo owners continue to try and start wars.

Sti forums talking about Evo's ==> "Great car, cant go wrong"
Evo forums talking about the Sti ==> "dOOd. It Suxors huuhuu"
I don't start wars with Stis. Subby guys start wars with me.

I do have to agree that Sti owners tend to be more mature than those who drives evo. Targeted demographic is a bit different for the two cars.

Once again, both the Evo and the Sti are great cars, you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by neeks127,Sep 16 2004, 07:26 PM
I don't start wars with Stis. Subby guys start wars with me.

I do have to agree that Sti owners tend to be more mature than those who drives evo. Targeted demographic is a bit different for the two cars.

Once again, both the Evo and the Sti are great cars, you can't go wrong with either one.
Its funny that the maturity thing is coming up again and again. When I had my S2000 I thought that this was the best community (in terms of technical resources and overall attitudes), but I have to say that the Nor Cal Evo owners are right up there in terms of maturity. I really believe that EvolutionM.net is a really bad representation of the Evo community. I'd almost compare it to the old HondaSociety board...now that place is a mess.

I started posting on NorCalEvo.net and SoCalEvo.net and I have to say that those sites remind me of S2Ki. Out of all of the meets that I have attended locally, the only morons that I have run into have been from the Subaru camp. Now this is only from my own experience so don't start flaming.

All that I can say is that it seems like the Evo guys are just as enthusiastic about their cars as the S2K guys are..and that is saying a lot.

Now...back on topic...

I drove both cars when I decided to switch from my S2K....without a doubt...Mitsubishi got my money. Both cars are great for what they are and I applaud Subaru and Mitsubishi for breathing some life into the "affordable" sports car category. But I just was not impressed with the STi in terms of overall feel and the engine itself.

It really boils down to what you are going to use the car for. If you plan on tracking the car...drive them back to back and you'll immediately see the difference. From the start the Evo is just more focused and what I was looking for. The STi felt "mushy" all over from the suspension to the Jello filled gear box.
And naturally, I'm modding the car...but after reading about experiences as well as watching my friend build up his WRX...the Evo decision came easily.

But like I said before, they are both good cars...but I just chose what fit my needs best.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:21 PM

i think the US evo is better than the us sti in every performance aspect. in stock form the sti is slightly faster in 1/4 mile but teh evo despite 30 less hp is much faster arround a track. i have a 450 hp evo.. and my car is capable of 11.8 1/4 mile times on a stock turbo. i have competed with sti's with turbo upgrades that r runing similar times to me. i am in div 4 of nasa and i race against stis all the time and they are always slow on the track. last sunday i went to sears and watched my friend compete in hpde 2. there were 4 evos n 3 stis. in the end every evo was in front of every sti. The evo is just a better drivers car. the sti is a mushy comuter car. If u look at all the big name races in america like car and driver's 1 lap challenge, the evo won. my tuner's car (vishnu tuning) even beat factory backed 911 gt3's, vipers and z06's. it finished 4th place overall, but more importantly it beat eery sti and wrx out there. i race every week night and i have never lost to an sti and i am running stock turbo. when i get my gt35r itll be even worse.
i also back road race, and i have never seen a fast sti that races back roads in any of the east bay area.

when the mr comes out it will be even worse.
people always think that the sti engine is better because it only boosts 14psi. in fact it is not nearly as strong as the evo engine. that is why people are having so many problems getting power out of them. there are 0 10 sec stis out there and many ecos and very few 11 sec stis and tons of 11 sec evos.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)