Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)

Old 09-14-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat,Sep 14 2004, 10:05 AM
Super AYC = not needed. AYC is there to help handling and as we all know the EVO handles great already. Also, from what I've heard, most JDM folks remove AYC because it's more fun (drifting).

For 2005 the EVO MR gets a 6speed and on the dyno puts down more power than the 2005 STi. Either the MR is underrated at 276 hp or the STi is overrated at 300 hp.
s-ayc= not needed?
i guess it depends on what kind of performance you are looking for.
drifting awd? kinda retarded

a recent b.m. video i was watching showed that 3 pro drivers all agreed the s-ayc was a great help in the performance of their evos.

as for the dyno #'s of the mr vs 05 sti; these numbers made no sense to me @ all.
1. they used a dynojet, which is known for producing very high numbers
2. mitsu is also 'known' for sending ringers out for tests
3. the 04 usdm sti was dyno'd by aps @ 311hp @ the crank
4. not enough of the factors regarding the #'s were revealed.
fwiw, and another reason why it makes no sense; harmon motive, who dyno'd the cars also claims to have tuned an sti running an fpgreen to upwards of 500whp!
breaking that down...
1. internally gated greens have yet to make over 400whp on pump gas on any other sti
2. he uses the dynojet, so the #'s are a bit 'inflated' compared to other dynos

drag-racing the evo and sti is a sad use of either cars ability, and as previously mentioned, usdm sti's are doing very well in real world contests.
the 4g63 will hold more boost/power on stock internals than i believe the ej257 can.
sti's 6 spd will never (unless it's ratios are changed) be good for drag racing
Old 09-14-2004, 05:13 PM

don't forget who won the 2003 World Rally Championship. Subaru, and who is doing better this year in the WRC? subaru or mitsubishi? Subaru.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

not sure what that has to do with anything.??? Those cars probably don't even have one part that a production car has.

Originally Posted by CwestinAP1,Sep 14 2004, 08:13 PM
don't forget who won the 2003 World Rally Championship. Subaru, and who is doing better this year in the WRC? subaru or mitsubishi? Subaru.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=Scot,Sep 14 2004, 06:28 PM] not sure what that has to do with anything.???
Old 09-14-2004, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 14 2004, 09:36 PM
I was once again a stop light today turning right with an Evo a few cars back going strait. He passed me and in traffic revved hard and accelerated as he got next to me (probably almost hi the car in front of him). Every time an Evo sees me, the owner has to do some kind or retarded maneuver, last guy almost hit 2 on coming cars as he saw me in the cross traffic turn lane and proceeded to suddenly take the turn wildly. Even on these forums, Evo owners continue to try and start wars.

Sti forums talking about Evo's ==> "Great car, cant go wrong"
Evo forums talking about the Sti ==> "dOOd. It Suxors huuhuu"
I've noticed this type of behavior too. I always try to wave or give the thumbs up if I see EVOs on the road, but they either stare at me or rev at me. As if they think their car is the hottest thing on the road, and it's so much more superior than the STi.

As far as EVO vs. STi in the drag racing event which I didn't even bother going..
Let's see, 12 years old race-proven motor with ton of cheaper aftermarket parts VS. 1 year old motor with minimal mods options. 3 shifts in the EVO VS. 4 shifts in the STi. Gee...I was really wondering who were going to win at that event.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:58 PM

Did you get some time slips yet sparky? Maybe the Evo drivers in your story were just trying to get away from the glare off your bald spot?

The STI drivers i see here are usually in their mid 50's and probably never got past 3500rpm.... I see 3 other evo's fairly regularly and they are driven in a normal manner by 25-35 year olds.

Funny how you (todd) were the dork that posted **first** that your STI was faster than my Evo....yet you mention how mature STI owners are and don't post things like that.

now nevert00fast is complaining about having to switch gears too many times.... blame subaru...

and.... i am still waiting to see what class / field / track that STI's dominate Evo's in your SCCA magazine.?

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 14 2004, 09:36 PM
Makes as much sense as your modified vs modified comments earlier.

This is one of the reasons Sti owners own Sti's... Evo owners have a large population of tards. Sti owners are defiantly more realistic owners.

I was once again a stop light today turning right with an Evo a few cars back going strait. He passed me and in traffic revved hard and accelerated as he got next to me (probably almost hi the car in front of him). Every time an Evo sees me, the owner has to do some kind or retarded maneuver, last guy almost hit 2 on coming cars as he saw me in the cross traffic turn lane and proceeded to suddenly take the turn wildly. Even on these forums, Evo owners continue to try and start wars.

Sti forums talking about Evo's ==> "Great car, cant go wrong"
Evo forums talking about the Sti ==> "dOOd. It Suxors huuhuu"
Old 09-15-2004, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by chrisfranklin,Sep 14 2004, 09:34 AM
s-ayc= not needed?
i guess it depends on what kind of performance you are looking for.
drifting awd? kinda retarded

a recent b.m. video i was watching showed that 3 pro drivers all agreed the s-ayc was a great help in the performance of their evos.

as for the dyno #'s of the mr vs 05 sti; these numbers made no sense to me @ all.
1. they used a dynojet, which is known for producing very high numbers
2. mitsu is also 'known' for sending ringers out for tests
3. the 04 usdm sti was dyno'd by aps @ 311hp @ the crank
4. not enough of the factors regarding the #'s were revealed.
fwiw, and another reason why it makes no sense; harmon motive, who dyno'd the cars also claims to have tuned an sti running an fpgreen to upwards of 500whp!
breaking that down...
1. internally gated greens have yet to make over 400whp on pump gas on any other sti
2. he uses the dynojet, so the #'s are a bit 'inflated' compared to other dynos

drag-racing the evo and sti is a sad use of either cars ability, and as previously mentioned, usdm sti's are doing very well in real world contests.
the 4g63 will hold more boost/power on stock internals than i believe the ej257 can.
sti's 6 spd will never (unless it's ratios are changed) be good for drag racing
Any stability/traction control will make your car slower. For drag and track people often disable the electronics to give them a bit more control. So, I stand by my comment that many people do disable AYC. My drifting comment was not ment to mean that the EVO could enter a drifting event, but by disabling the AYC, you're able to swing the rear end out more.

Secondly, the 2005 MR vs. 2005 STi was on the same dyno on the same day. It doesn't matter what dyno it was or how far off it's number are....the fact was that the MR had more power to the ground than the 2005 STi. The editors commented that this may be due to the STi's new ECU which has been reflashed for the pinging problem from 2003. Either way the MR was on top. It's certainly possible that the MR was a ringer but only time will tell as the MR's come out. Judging by the 13.3 quarter mile (which is right in the ballpark of a normal EVO), I doubt this is true.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Sep 14 2004, 11:58 PM
Did you get some time slips yet sparky? Maybe the Evo drivers in your story were just trying to get away from the glare off your bald spot?

The STI drivers i see here are usually in their mid 50's and probably never got past 3500rpm.... I see 3 other evo's fairly regularly and they are driven in a normal manner by 25-35 year olds.

Funny how you (todd) were the dork that posted **first** that your STI was faster than my Evo....yet you mention how mature STI owners are and don't post things like that.

now nevert00fast is complaining about having to switch gears too many times.... blame subaru...

and.... i am still waiting to see what class / field / track that STI's dominate Evo's in your SCCA magazine.?
Scot, join SCCA and read the magazines for yourself. Again, Ill say that you tend to ignore any data that
Old 09-15-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subaru OWNS Mitsu. Is that clear?
Old 09-15-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 15 2004, 10:36 AM
especially now that you openly insult the S2000

Scots fast and furious baby!
STI - do you realize that i road race an S2000? Click my signature link to see a picture. S2000's are not as good as an Evo as an overall performance car, but that would be pretty dumb of me to pick it as a race car then bash it.

Scot, join SCCA and read the magazines for yourself.
As for me picking up an SCCA magazine.... i was just going to let you quote me all of these tracks and races that the STI is beating the Evo. I don't even know what class they race, but I have not heard of any road racing with them other than T1 which they both suck compared to a Z-06 vette.

Scot, you are the person on this board who acts the most immature on Evo Vs Sti forums trying to purposely insight wars, Id be happy to go back into your posts and show you yourself.

Ok....go fetch me some of those posts you are talking about..... get me some mt. dew while you are at it.

You are always one step ahead.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)