Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)

Old 10-01-2004, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat,Oct 1 2004, 02:23 PM
Are you for real? Are you sure you have an STi...I really thought that the STi owners were more mature than this.

Ohhh, and don't claim that every STi can hit 12.9. Maybe 1 out of 1000 STi's can hit that number. The vast majority are mid 13's....just like the EVO.
no no.. It just hurts doesnt it!
Old 10-02-2004, 01:46 AM

<--Evil Evo

Well, I thought most STi owners were being pretty cool in this thread. LOL, you dont need 19psi, but you needed a 2.5 liter motor Yeah you have 300 hp and Tq but its a bigger motor. You dont have more lag cuz you have a smaller turbo (and the Sti needed what to make 400 whp ), what your point? I like the reliable 14.5 psi comment hehe, how would you know if its reliable, the motor has only been out a year. I could go on, like we have to mod our cars to feel confident Hahaha, then why is it the Sti owners are modding theirs? Is it because they dont like being beat by the poor 2 liter in the Evo? Oh almsot forgot, is the rumor true. The STi may be getting a 2 liter instead of the 2.5?

Seriously out of respect for the Sti and most Sti owners here I'll stop going on. Both cars are sweet, I love both of them although, I like the looks of the Evo better, but I love the sound of an Sti with an exhaust. We actually have an STi vs Evo event coming up on the 23 of Oct, Im gonna try to make it, should be fun, they said they might invite the SRT owners too.

Ps...for those of you that are easily offended, this is all in fun no need to get butt hurt
Old 10-02-2004, 06:18 AM

good points quik-
we (sti owners) have 24 more hp, xx more torque, .5 extra liters and yet we are very close in str8 line performance.
as an sti owner i'm a lil annoyed by that fact. not @ mitsus but @ subaru for a few nitpicky shortcomings.
if the sti returns to the 2.0 it had better be to bring over a full spec-c variant.
no substitutions please! 8k redline, twinscroll, forged internals, closed deck block...hmmmm beginning to sound like an evo motor
quicker steering rack, full spec-c suspension.
i might miss the abundance of torque available with the 2.5, but i will trade it for the other benefits.
the boost level comments are very ridiculous to me. if the sti motor was capable of handling high boos in stock form, 90% of us would have a lil mbc on there cranked up to 20+ psi.
unfortunately again for us, the miata-sized vf39 couldn't spit out 20+ psi of consistant boost if it was being bear hugged by rosie o'donnell

modding either car is a whole other argument.
higher hp 4g's are out there and we all know why.
high hp cars break stuff. all of them. both cars will have their weak points when doing this so arguing about which can do more or handle more is silly. you want it to run high boost, high hp, you're going to be building most any motor.
in the sti's defense, a shortblock for the car is relatively cheap, and there are many built motor offerings available for much less than the spec-c jdm motor.
and for all you jdm whores out there, many of these american built blocks will outperform *gasp* the jdm one.
i love my sti, i love the evo (and would have an mr if mitsu didn't short change us on a few things), but i can't stand magazine racers who yap all day long about how capable their car is, yet only have 3 stickers and a drop-in fram airhog filter on their car.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Thoe99,Oct 1 2004, 10:37 AM] LOL.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:17 AM

fwiw, i would go out on a limb and say that 99% of those that buy sti's and evo's cannot exceed the limits of either car except in a straight line.
my car only has 300whp and it sometimes scares the $h!te out of me on windy roads.
it's unfortunate that we put so much emphasis on str8 line performance numbers. either car makes it easy for a novice driver to turn fast times in the 1320 because awd and turbo make up for alot.
but to have a truly fast 1/4 mile car (booring) you either want a ton of money into either platform, or you want an automatic rwd car.
evos do 'feel' more capable to most people. attribute that to the lightning quick steering, grip of awd, and the lesser amount of body roll between the 2 cars.
again we are talking stock cars.
neither car really comes in it's optimum configuration.
if the evo mr came with s-ayc it might just slam the door on comparisons with the usdm sti, and force subaru to bring out the spec-c in retaliation.
hmmm good for us to say the least.
mitsu is moving towards a new engine platform (finances permitting) for upcoming evos iirc
Old 10-02-2004, 10:58 AM

chrisfranklin....Wow, that was nice, a couple totally unbiased posts, now that I can enjoy reading. I was just reading SCC they have a write up on the new MR, sounds pretty sweet, almost makes me want to trade my Evo in for one.

Its funny becasue, my buddy with the Sti is like why is there so much hate between Evo an Sti owners, its ridiculous, I agree. If your an owner of either your a pretty lucky person most would die to have either car, yet we sit here and argue about them If it werent for the fact that the local subby dealers wont come down $1, I would probably have an Sti, but I wasnt about to pay their $5K markup. But now that I've had my Evo for 10 months, I dont regret my decision, I love the car and am glad I got it.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:22 AM

most of the people who do the arguing, bickering, and have the rivalry hangups are the same ones who suck at driving, know nothing of tuning their cars, and spend wayyy too much time getting their racing experience from need for speed, super street, and teh interweb.
i wish there were as many road courses open to the public as there are drag strips.
imho, idk if the usdm mr is worth taking the hit on trade-in unless you're hell bent on having the 6 speed.
as previously mentioned if it were a jdm spec mr w/s-ayc i'd be on that in a heart beat.
and then in a year, i'd trade it for the sti spec-c
Old 10-04-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Oct 2 2004, 01:11 AM
no no.. It just hurts doesnt it!
You're right. I'm hurt because you have 300 hp / 300 tq. I'm hurt because my EVO needs 19.5 PSI to generate 271 hp. I'm hurt because the EVO swept all the magazine comparisons. Why would that be? Afterall, the STi has all the majic numbers. On stats alone it should have won every review:

2.5L > 2.0L
300 hp > 271 hp
300 tq > 278 tq
3 LSD > 2 LSD
DCCD > none
Subaru gauge cluster > Mitsubishi gauge cluster
Subaru quality > Mitubishi quality
forged pistons & rods > forged rods

hummm, why would the EVO win then. The list above should tip the scales heavily toward the STi. The reason, as stated by many, is that the EVO drives better. It's easier to drive at the limit, gives better feedback, and is more neutral in the corners. Vehicle dynamics is much harder science then str8 line speed. The STi may start with a power advantage but this thread shows how easily that power advantage is negated. In the world of tuning the EVO is cheaper and easier to make fast. It's a simple fact that no one will argue.

In the world of the 1320, the STi 6speed will always be a burden. It's too agressive and requires that extra shift. It might be great for autox and track but for the 1/4 mile it definately hurts it.

Now, I love both cars. If I could I'd own both but to say that I'm hurt because of your feable list of "majic numbers" is retarded.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:18 PM

evo / sti

235/45/17 (with wider & stickier advan tires) > 225/45/17
recaro seats (more supportive) > sti seats
steering (quicker) > sti's
carbon fiber wing (adds more downforce) > sti's double deck wing
mod friedly engine > sti's not so mod friedly engine
minimal understeer > heavy understeer (pre '04 model)

Old 10-04-2004, 03:38 PM

This argument is still going?? Jeez, they're both great cars. We should feel lucky we can even get these cars (finally!).

Of course, when the next GT-R comes here, I will be moving in that direction...

Quick Reply: EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)