Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)

Old 09-28-2004, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nevert00fast,Sep 28 2004, 12:45 PM
I read your thread in SE. I know the STi is probably modded, but you really don't know what it has, right? You have a drop in filter, IC piping, and turboback which btw adds alot of power on the EVO/STi. Maybe the STi that you pulled wasn't as modded as you? I know after I put on my full turboback it helped the top end alot, even though it still tapers.
I totally agree with you, I wasnt trying to make it seem as if I killed the STi, It was a very close race, I figure I would have pulled up top since the STi turbo is smaller and most likely running out of breath at higher rpms. I have the TBE, Intake (no longer just the drop in) Upper IC Piping. I know that stuff made a huge difference and i cant wait for the 9th when I go in for my Vishnu X-Flash which is good for another 25-40 whp.

Matter of fact if you could PM me, I dont want tio hijack the thread. A buddy of mine has an STi and wants to start modding it, what should he be doing for first mods. He has a HKS catback right now and is getting the UTEC. Let me know. Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quik S2K,Sep 29 2004, 02:18 AM
I totally agree with you, I wasnt trying to make it seem as if I killed the STi, It was a very close race, I figure I would have pulled up top since the STi turbo is smaller and most likely running out of breath at higher rpms. I have the TBE, Intake (no longer just the drop in) Upper IC Piping. I know that stuff made a huge difference and i cant wait for the 9th when I go in for my Vishnu X-Flash which is good for another 25-40 whp.

Matter of fact if you could PM me, I dont want tio hijack the thread. A buddy of mine has an STi and wants to start modding it, what should he be doing for first mods. He has a HKS catback right now and is getting the UTEC. Let me know. Thanks
PM'ed you.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the Sti superior than the Evo in straight line performance? and the Evo superior in handling? As far as I knew the Sti will take the Evo on the straights (stock). I like the looks of the Evo and how it feels but the damn the Sti boxer engine sound is so hard to beat. Its a very hard choice for me to make if I was getting into one of this two vehicles but I supose for now I would end up in an Sti.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BruteHareS2k,Sep 29 2004, 08:48 PM
Isn't the Sti superior than the Evo in straight line performance? and the Evo superior in handling? As far as I knew the Sti will take the Evo on the straights (stock). I like the looks of the Evo and how it feels but the damn the Sti boxer engine sound is so hard to beat. Its a very hard choice for me to make if I was getting into one of this two vehicles but I supose for now I would end up in an Sti.
Stock for stock, the STi edges out the EVO slightly in a straightline and the EVO has the advantage in the handling. But when it comes to modding, EVOs have it easy.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Sep 28 2004, 07:04 PM
Whats the point of that? We have several former Evo owners who move up to an Sti on our boards, I guess they just dont know much.
And on our boards we have several former STi owners that have moved to an EVO. What's your point? Ohhh, and I would hardly call it an UP or DOWN move since both put up nearly identical numbers. It's all personal preference.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nevert00fast,Sep 29 2004, 10:20 PM
Stock for stock, the STi edges out the EVO slightly in a straightline and the EVO has the advantage in the handling. But when it comes to modding, EVOs have it easy.
Thanx.
Yeah, thats what I know from reading and talking to owners. Also the Mitsu engine has being in development for over a decade which means is very reliable. Hopefully in the future I get to buy the a four door car that I don't need but I really want an all-wheel drive turbo car. How does the coming MazdaSpeed 6 rank? Just playing...but its all-wheel drive with a 2.3 turbo engine. Hopefully it will be good enough for those not tying to empty their bank account.
For now the 05 Sti with all the touch ups is priority. If I hit the jackpot the new Ferrari F430.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by nevert00fast,Sep 29 2004, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone,
I am a recent owner of 2005 STi who loves both s2k and Evo! Anyway, It seems like Subaru learned its lesson in handling, this year model is pretty close to Spec C model, which is best handling STi available in Japan. There is a comparison test of 05 STi and upcoming Evo MR in the Motortrend, which was posted on the evolutionm board:

motortrend

As you can see, both car are damn close in both acceleration and handling.
One of the Motortrend journalists took part in the discussion (EVO Neil). He states that they also tested 03 model of Evo, and it was 2 sec behind MR on the track. So, the fastest car on track was MR followed by STi followed by GSR Evo (03).
Some of Neil comments:

"Steering on the '05 STi is waaaay better. We also had our one-year test '04 STi at Willow for comparison and I thought the '05 was much better all around. I wasn't a fan of the '04 STi steering, it had some weird torque-steer thing going on, but for '05 it is sooooo much better. All of the improvements Subaru made make the whole car better. It would have made it a tougher choice for me back when I bought my Evo had the '05 STi been available."

To appreciate STi you really have to push it - it shines when put to the limits! Otherwise if you take it for a test-drive around a corner with occasional WOT you will be a bit disappointed - it feels heavy, slow, and unresponsive... It is like Unix vs XP - you would feel lost and confused with Unix upon first few encounters, but as time passes you start to appreciate its performance!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=AbusiveWombat,Sep 30 2004, 07:36 AM] And on our boards we have several former STi owners that have moved to an EVO.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Oct 1 2004, 09:21 AM] The difference is that most Evo owners have to modify their cars to feel as confident as an Sti owner does...We don
Old 10-01-2004, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Oct 1 2004, 09:21 AM] The difference is that most Evo owners have to modify their cars to feel as confident as an Sti owner does. We already have 300 hp and 300 torque and can break the magical 13 second mark with a really good driver stock (12.9). We don

Quick Reply: EVO vs. STi/WRX Battle (A Total Smack Down)