Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Evo VIII

Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Unit,May 21 2007, 01:23 PM
that's gross....

i think it's the other way around... i think i'm suppose to be the young trophy bimbo pushing his wheel chair around when he's 90. yea?
Ok here is the breakdown on the evo...it's an expensive car to own compared to the S2000.

My tires gone at 7500 miles. If you wear them down and one gets a flat you have to buy 4 tires. You aren't supposed to run tires that have more the 2/32 tread difference.
Oil needs to be changed very regularly. You have to use synthetic.
The other fluid changes are very expensive. The gallon of tranny fluid, and gallon of diff/transfer case cost around $150. I think it's over $400 to have the dealer do it. I did it myself it was quite the pain.
The thing gets bad gas milege.
Insurance is a lot.
Resale isn't as good as the S2000.

You are young, don't do something stupid like buy an evo. You will find may evo owners give very bad financial advice. One of the craziest threads on evolutionm.net showed just how bad many evo owners manage their finances. Don't be like those guys. You will regret it some day.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My quotes from State Farm:

2002 Honda S2000: was $120/month now $140/month
2006 EVO IX: $144
2006 EVO IX MR: $148

I'm thinking about selling my S2k and my DSM and getting just an EVO for year-round use rather than owning 2 separate cars. I love the fact the S2k is a true sports car and that it stays nearly flawless being driven only during nice summer days, but the EVO is a wicked machine and responds incredibly well to mods unlike the S2k. I have my DSM only as a winter beater, but I still have the modding bug pretty bad back from when I had a 4xx WHP Talon. Chances are I'll be selling the S this fall and picking up an EVO next spring.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,May 21 2007, 03:50 PM
Ok here is the breakdown on the evo...it's an expensive car to own compared to the S2000.

My tires gone at 7500 miles. If you wear them down and one gets a flat you have to buy 4 tires. You aren't supposed to run tires that have more the 2/32 tread difference.
Oil needs to be changed very regularly. You have to use synthetic.
The other fluid changes are very expensive. The gallon of tranny fluid, and gallon of diff/transfer case cost around $150. I think it's over $400 to have the dealer do it. I did it myself it was quite the pain.
The thing gets bad gas milege.
Insurance is a lot.
Resale isn't as good as the S2000.

You are young, don't do something stupid like buy an evo. You will find may evo owners give very bad financial advice. One of the craziest threads on evolutionm.net showed just how bad many evo owners manage their finances. Don't be like those guys. You will regret it some day.
were you driving "normal" on your tires??? i've been reading up on the consumer ratings and most of what i've seen is people complaining about the stock clutch going out prematurely.

shouldn't oil be changed very regularly on any car you care about? i change every 3-4k miles with synthetic on my s. i'll have to look in on the maintenance schedule for the other fluid changes...

my friend is telling me he's averaging about 21 mpg... i was a little disappointed when i heard that. my S averages about 25 mpg and THAT chaps my ass... so that's something i'm considering.

insurance is +$10/month... not too shabby, esp. considering the car is 2 years newer than the car i'm driving now.

the biggest thing is that i'm getting a wayyyyy way wayyyyyyyyyyy way WAY better deal on this evo, than the deal i got on my s2000. the person i'm buying it from is a friend that i would trust with my life that i've known for years and year and years. he bought it for his girlfriend, things went kind of south there, and now he just wants to sell it for what he owes on it, less than the book on it. it has all maintenance records, low miles, he's throwing in lots of new/extra parts, the whole she-bang... i'm not buying an evo to buy an evo. i'm buying THIS particular evo because it's a good deal.

it's obviously something i'm going to have to think about... i'm still doing a lot of research on the car. but i don't think it's fair to say that because a few evo owners are bad with their finances, i'm automatically going to become bad with my finances because i went out and bought one.

i don't see what the big deal is about me being 20 years old and spending $20,000 on a car.... that's really not that expensive. it's not like i'm going out and buying a $50,000 cadillac that's going to depreciate 20% the minute i drive it off the lot or something insane like that. my friends drive brand spankin new mazda 3's or honda civics that cost $20 grand.... nobody ever says anything about that being an unreasonable purchase, i'm guessing because it's an "economy" reasonable car....

like i said, i'm not buying something i can't afford. but i honestly appreciate your input... definitely things to consider.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by S2kracka,May 21 2007, 04:18 PM
My quotes from State Farm:

2002 Honda S2000: was $120/month now $140/month
2006 EVO IX: $144
2006 EVO IX MR: $148

I'm thinking about selling my S2k and my DSM and getting just an EVO for year-round use rather than owning 2 separate cars. I love the fact the S2k is a true sports car and that it stays nearly flawless being driven only during nice summer days, but the EVO is a wicked machine and responds incredibly well to mods unlike the S2k. I have my DSM only as a winter beater, but I still have the modding bug pretty bad back from when I had a 4xx WHP Talon. Chances are I'll be selling the S this fall and picking up an EVO next spring.
amen....

my biggest gripe with my S is that i drive it everyday, every season. since my little incident with the guard rail, the car scares the crap out of me. i know it was pure driver error, but the car just doesn't feel "solid" to me anymore. i'm scarred.... i feel like it's going to slide out from underneath of me on wet roads. the AWD will at least give me a little more peace of mind during the winter. that, and the powerband on the S has just become way too extreme for driving around town.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i think it got about 20mpg in my Evo with retarded driving. I also only got 5k miles out of my first set of tires but that included some track driving.... after that I got about 10k miles or more out of the next set.

I had no issues with my Evo other than an 02 sensor going which was covered under warranty. My cluch *finally* died at about 17k miles, but that was after about 50 7000rpm clutch dumps (not all in one day), from drag racing, street racing and auto-x starts.

I had my transfer case fluid done at 15k miles and it was a reasonable amount... maybe $50. or so???

I will shoot myself in the head before I get wheeled around in a chair shitting myself!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually paid little less for evo then s2k with allstate for some odd reason. Evo is a blast to drive I say go for it
Old 05-21-2007, 08:19 PM

I wish I never saw this thread, I've been thinking about getting an evo lately too :/
Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,May 21 2007, 03:14 PM
when hes 90, you wont be the "young" trophy bimbo anymore
You guys crack me up. Scot and C should just get a room (or a cyberspace room).
Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 PM

buying a used EVO 8....inspect her good man!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,May 21 2007, 08:51 PM
buying a used EVO 8....inspect her good woman!
Fixed.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII