Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Evo owners...

Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i think I have posted this about 300 times...

I had the first 03 Evo VIII at my dealer. Ran 13.4@102mph totally stock and lifting between shifts on a fairly normal august evening.

here is a picture. not sure why i sold it. I will probably buy another one at some point.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

evo 9 - exterior wise, different front bumper, rims( from the 6 spoke to an "work emotion like " design, taillights (changed from altezzas to the jdm ones but with clear bottom lights, and the rear wing is no longer FULL carbon fiber and it does not fade anymore.
- interior wise, different seats, steering wheel, dash, mainly for the better, everything in the car has more of a "darker" theme to it.

engine- 4g63 engine with mivec (variable valve timing device but on evos, it has a smoother torque curve (no more huge turbo spikes from evo 8's) and torque comes on earlier in the rpm band allowing turbo to full spool a lil under 3500 rpms. also has a bigger turbo and the car is extremely easy to modify.

driving feel- just grips and grips. family sedan like body roll around corners but it will stick just fine. steering wheel VERY VERY sensitive.=] try changing lanes with on on the highway when you drive it the first time. overall a great car. my brother owns the evo9 and me s2k.

evo 8 - turbo spike, smaller turbo, uglier front bumper (imo ;], triangle bothered me), altezza tailights. the interior had a sti look to it : black with blue =[.

thats a brief description of the differences =]. have fun and goodluck deciding!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM

^^^ alot of misinformation here.

www.evolutionm.net can answer a lot of your questions

I own a 2005 Evo 8, Love the car and the interior (full leather recaros; SSL package)

the 05 has a slightly larger compressor housing (same size as the 9) and also has the active center differential (ACD) whereas the 03-04 8's didn't.

if you're going to keep the evo fairly stock, you wont see or feel that much of a difference between the 8 and the 9. However, if you start lightly modding this is where the 9 shines (from what i've been reading) but not to say the 8 is a slouch either...

Dunno what all the talk about "stock 9 smokes stock 8 evos" its all relative and depends on the driver...if you really wanna get into a debate the evo 6.5 is arguably(sp) the ''fastest'' evo...but im getting off topic.

test drive them, and make your choice. Life is easy, you make decisions and you don't look back.

pics of my 05:
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM

scot, joe, etc...

how is the reliability? im scared to consider mitsu...coming from Honda...

They look like they have a really good warranty program..do they actually honor it or do they accuse you of racing?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 AM

no problems here.

as far as the warranty, it depends on your dealership. some will honor the warranty with light mods (like mine) while others will flat out deny you warranty coverage if the car is modified in any way.

I beat on my car daily and it still runs like a champ. There are still lots of older evo models running around in other parts of the world, so maybe that'll give some insight into how reliable they are...just a thought though.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steven975,Oct 8 2006, 05:46 PM
MIVEC is mitsubishi's variable valve lift system, similar to VTEC.

I believe one has it, one does not.
yes that true. mivec was designed by the same guys who made a little thing called "vtec."

there are a little more differences than just 8 and 9 w mivec. 05+ evos(which are still 8's) have the same bigger hotside as the 9's do. 05+evos make some wicked power with little mods. 9's of course have mivec with reduces turbo lag and make low rpm performace better. contrary to popular belief mivec DOES hurt the guys that want big power. you have to disable mivec to make the big(500+whp) power.

i work with evos for a living.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the IX makes more power with bolt-ons due to mivec and bigger cold side housing than then 05 while keeping the same 10.5 hotside.

every trim after 04 comes with ACD (RS, straight VIII/IX (aka. GSR), and MR)

my IX gsr has been perfect after 12,500 miles in 5 months of ownership. i can't stop driving her. so far she's stock, but all the local Evos with basic bolt-on's and even bigger turbo's have been very reliable if the owners know what they're doing and are taking care of the car.

of course where u get ur car tuned/modded is very important as well; just research before u commit to certain mod paths.

find a mod friendly dealership (search for "greenlighted Mitsu dealerships" (or somethin like that) on www.evolutionm.net to find a good dealer around where u live)

on average the IX's with basic bolt-on's (full turbo back, boost controller, and flash/tune) are getting 20-30whp more than average VIII's with the same mods.

the 5spd on the IX also has close gearings to the 6spd on the VIII/IX MR's. the VIII's 5spd are said to be better suited for 1/4 mile since 4th gear is longer.

the 6spd MR tranny is weaker than the 5spd. the 5spd is built by Getrag, and its 3rd to 5th gears are thicker and thus stronger than the 6th's 3rd-6th gears. the 6spd is fine as long as u dont track the car a lot (esp. road courses) usualy the 6spd overheats and the 4th gear is usually what goes out first.

keep in mind the clutch is the weak link in the Evo, since it's designed to take the abuse from launching to protect the drivetrain from getting destroyed. so if u're lookin for a used VIII keep that in mind.

also intake without tune does nothing for the Evo's; it actually *most of the time* messes up the car since the Evo's have a very sensitive MAF. Vent to atmosphere BOV's are also worthless and hurt performance - if u must recirculation kits.

that said try not to find a used Evo with those 2 mods. actually try to find a used BONE STOCK Evo with no mods in the history of ownership, cuz some Evo owners have no clue what they're doin when it comes to mods and more often than not the car gets screwed up due to lack of knowledge etc.

i'll stfu now
Old 10-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and i work at a greenlighted dealer thats also the pacNW only WORKS authorized dealer.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^there u go
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM

K. I had a 04 Evo VIII. Warranty on them Sucks. I was Bone Stock my Trans Turbo and Transfer Case went out Did Warranty cover it? Nope. When you buy a Evo dont even think for warranty. The reason why i got rid of my evo was Cuz it was more at the dealer then on the Streets. I personaly Wouldnt Get a Evo( Stuff That comes with it. Grey Hair Anger and maybe a Heartattack) Yes they are Very Cheap to mod and a blast to drive. I hope this helped you a lil

Andy

Quick Reply: Evo owners...