Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO 9 when the S is paid for.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure what's with the dbag responses from 2 posters (whom i hold in high respect from reading their posts on here from time to time), but anyways...

if you're only going to lightly modd the Evo (on stock turbo with TBE and tune aiming for a bit over 300whp) a bolt-on STi is a ton of fun as well. only thing is the STi's engine isn't as reliable past the TBE/tune stage as the Evo's. I've had an 05 STi and an 06 Evo IX and now an Evo X. STi's have stronger drivetrain components but the Evo's engine always takes the cake for post bolt-on power.

in 2 yrs both of these cars will be very cheap, and i also know a few older gentlemen who have never modified their Evos/STis but bought them just to have a fun commuter. good luck finding one, they're a blast to drive, albeit my personal preference of taking the s2k out (for sheer fun factor) if i'm not trying to go around 90 degree bends at 50mph with one finger (off public streets of course) or beating 80% of cars off the line at the traffic lights
Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I still find it pretty ridiculous how well they've held value. There are low mileage IX's selling for what near new X's are going for. I've noticed X's seemed to have depreciated faster maybe because a ton more of them were brought to the US vs. the 17-18K total Evo VIII/IX's between 03-06. Which is why people have trouble finding unmolested/stock examples, there really aren't that many. Funny thing is the majority of them are in CA the worst possible place to own a modded car.

Which is a good thing because I would have taken an X over my Evo any day of the week.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=743799
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You *can* get decent gas mileage in an Evo 9 if you keep it out of boost...my best has been 25mpg. But boost is addicting, so that's probably irrelevant.

Also for those who are wary of Mitsubishi quality: I bought my IX new (with 5 miles on the odo). I'm now at 58k miles with zero repairs (ok the clip that holds the floormat to the floor snapped, but that's it). It's my DD, I track it, I take it to the canyons, I slog through socal traffic, I take it on 1000 mile road trips. Stock clutch. I don't burn a drop of oil, tranny shifts smooth, motor actually feels stronger now than it did 3 years ago. Of course this is just one data point, but it's first hand information, not internet regurgitation.

For a $30k car though, the interior quality is definitely sub-par compared to my S. The visors and HVAC controls look like something from a cheap Lancer...because they are. Stuff that matters is high quality: Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, BBS wheels. As people on the Evo boards often say, it's a $15k econobox with $15k of go-fast hardware.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 AM

Your aim is too low ... QUICKAG has a better goal/aim.
I was wondering what this ment until curiouz_G posted the link lol, thats funny.
And who cares about gas milage in a fun to drive car, If I cared about gas milage id buy a used insight. And Mad Pup, that kinda stuff is good to hear, because over the years I've heard people taking trash about the S2000s reliability and I always wonder what the hell are people doing to these cars to make them break down? So I know everyones sad stories about how some cars are piles of crap are just BS.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastkx125,Nov 10 2009, 04:31 AM
I was wondering what this ment until curiouz_G posted the link lol, thats funny.
And who cares about gas milage in a fun to drive car, If I cared about gas milage id buy a used insight. And Mad Pup, that kinda stuff is good to hear, because over the years I've heard people taking trash about the S2000s reliability and I always wonder what the hell are people doing to these cars to make them break down? So I know everyones sad stories about how some cars are piles of crap are just BS.
Well you did mention it was going to be a part time DD, and most people care about mpg on a DD. If it's not a problem with you then it's chill, I say go for it.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 PM

evo ix mr FTW!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by fastkx125,Nov 6 2009, 03:13 PM
Yea ive been all over it, But just like we here are partial to our S2K's they are all about evo's being a gift from the car gods, lol I wanted an outsiders point of view

Yea the S has an intake and id prolly leave it alone other then making it really pretty and lower and stiffer if I bought an Evo.

Yea its a 1992 aka Classic SE-R, I would like to have something to drive other then the S if the Evo is down for maintance or is broken. And the Sentra is my first love. My first SE-R was wrecked by s a guy who was wayyy to blind to drive this one is my second and is pretty well moded, Id keep it as my beater.

I feel like I am in a Twilight Zone Episode. I also have an AP1 S2000 and a 1992 SE-R. AND I also own an Evo IX.

I have a 1992 SE-R that I have owed for 7 years. I have a 2000 S2000 that I have had for almost 6 years, and my Evo IX SE I bought new a bit over 3 years ago and is still bone stock.

The SE-R is the beater that I can drive and park anywhere without worrying about it getting dinged or scratched or stolen. The S2000 is driven for 3 seasons only and gets AutoXed regularly. And the Evo IX is my "practical" car that is the quietest and most comfortable of the three.

I love my Evo 9. It's pretty much the best bad weather vehicle ever made, I get 20-27 MPG in it. It's reliable. And it has every bit as much driving soul as the S2000 does - just a slightly different kind of soul. Like my 92 SE-R, I cannot ever see myself selling my Evo. Heck, I will probably own all three of my current cars until they each rust into oblivion.

You clearly have excellent taste in automobiles , and I recommend that you buy a bone stock Evo IX - if there still are any that are still stock.

Andrew
Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 AM

I feel like I am in a Twilight Zone Episode. I also have an AP1 S2000 and a 1992 SE-R. AND I also own an Evo IX.
Thats crazy that two people could have such close taste in cars from all different styles and manufactures. Even the purpose for our cars is almost identical. I cant wait to get an Evo IX but my cheap side is telling me to wait till the S is paid for. Even though my freind who drives a EvoX just told me his freind is selling a low milage Evo9 MR for like 16k if its that dark gray color id be very mad at myself for not just buying it now lol. Well its good to hear that youve had your evo for years and still like it. Coming from the bullet proof SR20 Sentra platform I trust your idea of reliabilty. Not like those VW/Audi guys who think going to the dealer once a month is considerd reliable as long as the dealer dosent charge them lol. When your at the dealer so much you can tell if they moved a picture from one wall to the other, youd better work there.(end anti-VW rant) got any cool mods on the classic?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

You guys gonna make out or something?

Quick Reply: EVO 9 when the S is paid for.