Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EVO 9 when the S is paid for.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I averaged about 20-21MPG during my ownership vs around 24-26 in my S2000. If 4MPG warrants selling the car then I'd say that's pretty ridiculous. Usually did 260'ish miles per tank and never filled more than 12 gallons. (13 gallon tank)

Anyway, I find it as an "upgrade" in overall performance while retaining civility for daily driving. I needed more room, 4 seats, a trunk, etc. You get all of that plus tons of power/traction and I can't imagine a single person on the planet complain about it's handling.

The steering rack is in fact faster then the S2K's and although it's 350-400LBS heavier then an S2000 it sure hides it well.

As an owner of both I can tell you in my opinion the only advantage an S2000 has is fun factor with the top down and that wears on you daily driving it. I think S2000's are fun in small doses but after that you face the dilemma many have which is finding a DD and in this case an Evo is a DD with S2000+ performance.

Oh yeah and they are reliable. I find it obnoxious that people with 450WHP expect it to retain stock reliability and complain about repairs. Mine had 100K on the stock TC/Trans/Diff without issue and there are plenty who have toasted those within 2K miles of driving off a dealership lot.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Your aim is too low ... QUICKAG has a better goal/aim.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 6 2009, 06:48 PM
Good luck finding an Evo that hasn't been modified. They may say it hasn't but very few are bone stock and have always been bone stock.
would you count mine as bone stock even though i took off the crappy stock 9 suspension and put the much better MR 9 suspension on it? I don't count that as being modified. There are a few out there. Mine is an 06 and I probably know 25 evo owners and i'm the only stock one. The entire drive train is bone stock. I do have like 12 track days on it though. Can you change wheels and tires and still be stock? I drive the stock ones on the road...
Old 11-07-2009, 05:03 PM

There are a ton of older gentleman who never bothered to modify the car. I always run into 03 VIII's driven by middle age men who would never even put an exhaust on the damn thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 PM

You're only going to get 20mpg in an evo if you drive like a grandmother. I have many friends with evo 8s and 9s and they all get under 15. Why buy a performance car if you're going to drive it like a civic?

One thing I really like about the s2000 is that I can do 3-4 hard mountain runs per tank and still get 23 mpg.

/end my rant on mpg. If it's not an issue for you I say go for it, evo 9s are great cars.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by fastkx125,Nov 6 2009, 02:47 PM
damm that sucks, are the 20G's ball bearing turbos? are they factory liquid cooled, or did you have a turbo timer? im just trying to run down the list of commen turbo failure reasons you know. All these reasons plus all prior experince with Mitsu's is the reason I didnt buy one of these before I bought the S2000. But now since I have the S2000 I figured its time to think about getting one since I wanted one so badly before.
I went from a S2000 to an Evo (plus have owned 5 DSM's in my lifetime) so I'll clear up some misconceptions here:

-all Evo 8 and 9's have 16G turbos stock, the 9 did not come with a 20G like some people seem to think (the Evo 9 16G is larger than the Evo 8 16G though, same exhaust wheel but larger compressor wheel and compressor cover, and all '05 8's and all 9's have a larger turbine housing).
-the stock turbos are water cooled
-the stock turbos do NOT have ball bearing center cartridges.

I miss my S2k very badly especially now that I've moved to a warm climate. I've done what I can to get the Evo to have the driving feel like the S2k, but my guess is within a year I'll have another S2000.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 7 2009, 05:29 PM
would you count mine as bone stock even though i took off the crappy stock 9 suspension and put the much better MR 9 suspension on it?
You do realize the only difference is the shocks right? All the rest of the suspension components are identical. I'd hardly call the GSR/RS/SE suspension crappy though, it definitely rides stiff, but its a raw performance car so man-up.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Nov 7 2009, 08:37 PM
You do realize the only difference is the shocks right? All the rest of the suspension components are identical. I'd hardly call the GSR/RS/SE suspension crappy though, it definitely rides stiff, but its a raw performance car so man-up.
you are dumb. the bilsteins on the MR are much better shocks then what come on the stock 9. The ride better and result in higher lap times for a tiny investment. I was able to drop my lap times by a couple of secs by swapping them out.

it doesn't just ride stiff in stock form it's bouncy and doesn't grip the rode as well as the MR. I love internet warriors. 'it's a raw performance car, so man up." are you kidding me? i would guess the closest you have ever been to a track with corners is watching speed racer on your parent's tv.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by hellspare,Nov 7 2009, 06:24 PM
You're only going to get 20mpg in an evo if you drive like a grandmother. I have many friends with evo 8s and 9s and they all get under 15. Why buy a performance car if you're going to drive it like a civic?

One thing I really like about the s2000 is that I can do 3-4 hard mountain runs per tank and still get 23 mpg.

/end my rant on mpg. If it's not an issue for you I say go for it, evo 9s are great cars.
so in one breath if you don't drive like a jack ass on the street you are a grandmother, but in the next you are worried about a few mpg. I never got over 20 mpg in my S2000 in normal city driving...

This thread is bringing out the internet warriors. Can you guys go back to street encounters or whatever rock you crawled out from under?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 7 2009, 10:43 PM
so in one breath if you don't drive like a jack ass on the street you are a grandmother, but in the next you are worried about a few mpg. I never got over 20 mpg in my S2000 in normal city driving...

This thread is bringing out the internet warriors. Can you guys go back to street encounters or whatever rock you crawled out from under?
Wow, really?

I was comparing mpg of the two cars when you drive it hard. You're never going to drive the car hard? When did I ever mention anything about driving like a jackass on the street?

Since you seem to be illiterate I won't bother arguing with you anymore. Have a good day.

By the way if you're getting under 20 mpg in your s2000 in normal city driving, something's wrong with your car.

Quick Reply: EVO 9 when the S is paid for.