Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ever wonder why Honda

Old 02-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as GM proving making reliable cars I really don't know which one.
LOL. Sad, sad, sad. GM has been making some of the best and most reliable motors for years.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Feb 11 2006, 08:49 PM
Saleen? They just came out with a car that is, indeed, very cool, but they're not a big name make. They're a tuning house first and foremost, and those are quite common these days. I assumed this discussion was limited to established makes.
saleen IS it's own car company. it is NOT a tuning house as you describe. when you buy a saleen prepped mustang, it says Saleen mustang on the title. not FORD mustang.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jeggy,Feb 11 2006, 10:43 PM
saleen IS it's own car company. it is NOT a tuning house as you describe. when you buy a saleen prepped mustang, it says Saleen mustang on the title. not FORD mustang.
The car is built by Ford and MODIFIED by Saleen. It is a modified Ford car, name on the title or not. Lingenfelter modifies Corvettes. No one credits that company with actually building the Corvette.

The only car Saleen has ever completely designed, developed and sold under its name is the S7.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:23 PM

sure they can build a supercar. honda will still treat you like a civic owner. price is a small part of ownership
Old 02-12-2006, 06:54 AM

I think we need to define supercar first. Supra, GT-R, 911, are not what I would consider supercars. Porsche GT, Enzo, Murcielago, Veyron, now those are supercars.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:05 AM

I think in some ways it would be a good thing for them to do. Having a car in the lineup that has supercar status looks good for all of their other models. It's associating a little prestige with the brand. While the actual supercar may not sell many units, I'll bet that it would help bump up the sales of their other cars.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:02 AM

i'm sure Honda and Toyota can come out with nice super cars but i dont think they are too concerned in that department right now. They both are making enough money as of now without any of the so called sports cars today. Look at honda, with their small line of cars today, they are able to sell most of their cars without a problem. i think they are more concerned about making money than being called the super car producers as of now..
Old 02-12-2006, 11:34 AM

I think everyone is missing the biggest reason.....volume. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are all focused on volume....and supercars aren't about volume. First they went after small cars, then midsized, then near luxury, then minivans and SUV's, and now they are firmly focused on big trucks.

Toyota wants to be number 1 and it's executives probably realize that building 1,000 supercars aren't going to get them there as fast a building a new Tundra to strike Ford and GM in the heart.

Asking why the Japanese aren't focused on Supercars is like asking why Wal*Mart and Home Depot aren't building small exclusive boutiques on Michigan Avenue. The answer to both questions is volume
Old 02-12-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve c,Feb 12 2006, 01:56 AM
LOL. Sad, sad, sad. GM has been making some of the best and most reliable motors for years.
It's true and I agree with you. Some of their motors are very reliable but the motor alone does not make the car. One thing where GM is very good at is auto trannys, they make impressive auto trannys but again that alone does not make an entire car. Until then GM is really not that reliable. I hope now with their new plan of being a small car company again and focusing on quality works out for them.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are all focused on volume
Then how do you explain the NSX and S2000? Or the MRS Spyder -- or the Skyline.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder why Honda