Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ever wonder why Honda

Old 02-10-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever wonder why Honda

Ever wonder why Honda or any other Japanese car maker can't produce a Supercar?

I was watching Top Gear last night and was completely fascinated by all those British, Italian, and German sports cars. Why can't Honda or Toyota jump in this game?

I mean, a ferrari or lambo will run you $200+. So why cant Honda make something of comparable performance and price it at $50K. I know we HAD the NSX, but still... With current technology and market share of Japanese automakers, they should be able to produce something in the lines of a ferrari or lambo for 1/4th the price and undercut everyone? You would think, based on economies of scale that this is a real posibility. What is stopping them? I know it cant be cost of materials, research and development, or marketing. Even if they sold it at a loss, at least they can still get more people in the showroom and sell their other cars and have the Supercar as a loss leader.

I can understand that some people are ego maniacs about specific nameplates and heritage. But based on the Japanese's ability to produce reliable cars, you would think people would jump on this. A reliable Supercar?? Who wouldnt want one. They've already dominated Sport bikes by crushing Ducati, why not Supercar?

Any thoughts???
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Former Moderator

Because the Japanese build in reliability and don't require their cars to live in the mechanics garage...maybe that has something to do with NOT producing supercars.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 AM

no rich snop would be able to get over the idea of spending over 100 k for a HONDA or TOYOTA. "Why spend 100k on a Honda when i can own a Porsche!"
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 AM

cuz in the end..all those snobs will still say..its just a honda
Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 AM

IMO the above posts are correct. It is a matter of what 'they' want. 'They' want something that impresses the neighbors, based on the badge of the car. Not the looks, not the performance etc. Hell, from what I can tell (off the net and/or tv) most people that buy supercars barely have the skills to push a civic. They buy these supercars, at least from my perspective for all the wrong reasons.

Side note - Dont ya thing the 'new' V10 NSX will be damn close to what you are refering to?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Uber-s2k,Feb 10 2006, 09:55 AM
IMO the above posts are correct. It is a matter of what 'they' want. 'They' want something that impresses the neighbors, based on the badge of the car. Not the looks, not the performance etc. Hell, from what I can tell (off the net and/or tv) most people that buy supercars barely have the skills to push a civic. They buy these supercars, at least from my perspective for all the wrong reasons.

Side note - Dont ya thing the 'new' V10 NSX will be damn close to what you are refering to?
Well, people will pay $80K + for a honda. Just look at the NSX. Im sure there are many that have chosen that over the Viper, Lotus, and Porsches. But I was pretty specific about Honda making a loss leader Supercar in the realm of $50K. If it was comparable to Ferrari or Lambo, im sure MANY people would buy.

The V10 NSX is still a myth. Until you show me proof of a prototype, it will only be a dream... and if it were to be priced at $100+ many people who can afford that, wont mind another $50-100K for a Ferrari or Lambo. thats why I think $50K is a key price tag for a Honda Supercar.

Who says a Supercar has to sit in the garage all the time???? I owned an NSX with 100K miles on it. all i had to do was regular oil changes and maintenance.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

when you compare a 30k dollar s2000 to a 50k dollar mercedes or bmw, then people will say, its just a honda. but if you compare some honda supercar to the ferrari 430 in technology, speed, looks, agility, etc., then thats a completely different story.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

[QUOTE=khuezee,Feb 10 2006, 11:15 AM] Well, people will pay $80K + for a honda.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

another thing to add.
consumers are not stupid, especially those who have the ability to plunk down $100K for a toy.
Porsche makes a $500K car. If the Ferrari brand is so much more revered than the Porsche, then Most people would chose a F430 over the CGT for the same money but I don't see Porsche dealerships discounting the CGT anytime soon.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by khuezee,Feb 10 2006, 02:15 PM
Well, people will pay $80K + for a honda. Just look at the NSX. Im sure there are many that have chosen that over the Viper, Lotus, and Porsches. But I was pretty specific about Honda making a loss leader Supercar in the realm of $50K. If it was comparable to Ferrari or Lambo, im sure MANY people would buy.
While I would love to agree with that statement, the sales of the NSX (specifically in the US) over the last couple years tells a different story.

Side Note - I really wish I could remember where I either read it or heard it, that the 'fabled new' NSX was V10 and had the same 4wd system we see in the TSX (I *think*) now. But I'm with you, untill I see/hear something more solidfied then 'rumors', it will be a I believe it when I see it type thing. I'm just really really hopefull that they turn out a monster like they did in '91.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder why Honda