Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ever wonder about typical maintenance cost of F355?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Interesting idea, but nobody buys a Ferrari to have the sound of a Corvette. The sound of the 355 blows away anything on the planet.
No argument on the first point and I will have to differ without prejudice on the second point since I can't recall the sound of the 355 that well. I wounder how hard it would be to make a cross over exhaust for the LSx motor. That would help it sound at least like a flat crank motor instead of a Corvette. I wounder if anyone actually makes a flat crank for the LSx motor...
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Sarcasm.
My bad. Didnt appear that way, so I was taken back a bit.

Originally Posted by rockville
No argument on the first point and I will have to differ without prejudice on the second point since I can't recall the sound of the 355 that well. I wounder how hard it would be to make a cross over exhaust for the LSx motor. That would help it sound at least like a flat crank motor instead of a Corvette. I wounder if anyone actually makes a flat crank for the LSx motor...
Crossover exhaust? As in an X pipe or H pipe style? The crank would be possible, but they wouldnt be very good. Flat plane cranks induce a fair amount of vibration, and in the case of a Ferrari the issue isnt so big because they use a larger bore and shorter stroke compared to an LSx. The longer stroke will make the vibration more noticeable, and undesirable. There are also other factors that give the car its sound, such as the intake manifold design, 5 valves per cylinder, exhaust design, etc... making it hard to replicate on anything dissimilar.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1331338489' post='21494991
Sarcasm.
My bad. Didnt appear that way, so I was taken back a bit.

Originally Posted by rockville
Crossover exhaust? As in an X pipe or H pipe style? The crank would be possible, but they wouldnt be very good. Flat plane cranks induce a fair amount of vibration, and in the case of a Ferrari the issue isnt so big because they use a larger bore and shorter stroke compared to an LSx. The longer stroke will make the vibration more noticeable, and undesirable. There are also other factors that give the car its sound, such as the intake manifold design, 5 valves per cylinder, exhaust design, etc... making it hard to replicate on anything dissimilar.
No, I'm thinking of the cross over exhaust like the Ford GT40's used.

All your concerns are valid though it does appear that flat cranks are available for the LS motors.
http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-l...x-on-the-dyno/

No question that a cross over exhaust or flat crank still wouldn't make it sound like a Ferrari for all the reasons you pointed out.

Edit: Here's a video of a Corvette with a cross over exhaust (they called it a 180 degree header)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTbR6C6Lw