Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ever wonder about typical maintenance cost of F355?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAR CAME IN WITH NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE AND ENGINE IS MISSING
Yeah... that was my first hint that this might be an expensive repair...
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This make no sense, mon.

Something a wee bit fishy here. Missing engine yet dismantled engine, wtf? From the looks of the repair bill, it looked like they rebuilt the entire drivetrain. I'm assuming this car was abused hardcore. Maintenance on a Ferrari is similar to cost on a power boat. They are expensive toys and if you have to worry about any of the costs, move on to a Vette or S2000
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
This make no sense, mon.

Something a wee bit fishy here. Missing engine yet dismantled engine, wtf? From the looks of the repair bill, it looked like they rebuilt the entire drivetrain. I'm assuming this car was abused hardcore. Maintenance on a Ferrari is similar to cost on a power boat. They are expensive toys and if you have to worry about any of the costs, move on to a Vette or S2000
The engine had a misfire it wasn't missing from the car.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM

Reynolds and Reynolds.... Niice

On the other hand HOLY SH*T
The term "gotta pay to play" comes to mind
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

^^^ my ass would have a misfire after something like that...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

i know a couple of people with 355s and they never really complained too much. They never had huge repairs just maintenance and a lot of preventative maintenance
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM

So how much would it cost to put an LSx in that thing...

This is a half serious question. If I was given that car with a blown motor I would have to think about it. On one hand part of the reported magic of a Ferrari is the Ferrari motor. On the other hand, $40k is big bucks for a rebuilt motor. If the car were "free" I would seriously consider looking at an alternative motor for say $15k (I'm well aware that a proper motor swap could cost well north of that). A reliable LS motor might be a great way to turn the car into a bit more of a daily driver. The LS wouldn't be the only possible motor but it's always a popular choice. I also admit that just changing the motor is not a sure fire path to a reliable Ferrari daily driver.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1331060326' post='21482554
#1, this is a repost - welcome to the internet.

#2, how is this example indicative of the typical maintenance costs of a Ferrari?
#1 - OK. I'm sorry?

#2 - Typical Cost of a Ferrari F355

But I understand YMMV.
#1, Forgiven, of course. What do you think I am?
(I tried to find a link to the prior, but either it's the rudest form of deja vu or s2ki search is broken )

#2, Summer tires are ~$1500 a season alone. More if you buy a newer Ferrari. It's not like anyone accused them of being economy cars. Obviously what is listed in that auction is high-end for any car. Don't buy one with a blown engine, problem solved. The other side of that coin is Ferrari will provide parts to rebuild the engine if you need, even for a vintage model. Probably cheaper to source a replacement from a wrecked 355 but who knows how long that can take. It's not cheap, but they will rebuild the whole car for you if you want/need. That's why it's worth buying an older Ferrari - if you have the money and desire, it can be like new. It's worth it because they have inherent value, not because they have a market value that accurately reflects their performance and reliability when driven every day.

Why don't we have a thread on people who own crappy cars but spend exhorbitant chunks of income on payments and yearly upkeep on their houses? Rather have a small bungalow and a Ferrari than a Kia and a house I need a maid to keep vacuumed and dusted once a week.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
So how much would it cost to put an LSx in that thing...

This is a half serious question. If I was given that car with a blown motor I would have to think about it. On one hand part of the reported magic of a Ferrari is the Ferrari motor. On the other hand, $40k is big bucks for a rebuilt motor. If the car were "free" I would seriously consider looking at an alternative motor for say $15k (I'm well aware that a proper motor swap could cost well north of that). A reliable LS motor might be a great way to turn the car into a bit more of a daily driver. The LS wouldn't be the only possible motor but it's always a popular choice. I also admit that just changing the motor is not a sure fire path to a reliable Ferrari daily driver.
The engine is in the back of the car, not the front. While it might physically fit in the allotted space, I suspect finding a transmission to work with it would be nigh impossible.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
The engine is in the back of the car, not the front. While it might physically fit in the allotted space, I suspect finding a transmission to work with it would be nigh impossible.
who needs a transmission with that much torque? feed the flywheel right to the differential - direct drive!!!!

Quick Reply: Ever wonder about typical maintenance cost of F355?