Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
in b4 "limiting our top speed is like limiting our freedom!" protesters.
But it literally is though. Surely you understand that, right?

The question is not whether taking away a right that one currently possesses is a loss of freedom (since it is indeed that by definition) but whether or not a reduction in personal liberties serves the greater good to such an extent that it is worth compromising our most basic principals.

I for one am always willing to have the discussion and I do not feel that any topic is beyond reproach.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most tards I see geting into accidents aren't going that fast anyway!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM

I cant see this happening, good by track days if it does, oh you want to go to a track and have responsible fun? nah, ur limited to 70. forever. not to mention the lost revenue from the speeding tickets, and the huge loss of money spent on all the speed cameras that would be rendered useless.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobushka king
doubt that will ever pass, considering how Germany has such a powerful role in the EU and how Germans love to drive fast
This was my first thought as well. Do you think the EU is going to limit everyone to driving 70 on the Autobahn?

I don't.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
This was my first thought as well. Do you think the EU is going to limit everyone to driving 70 on the Autobahn?

I don't.
They could regulate it per road and roads that do not have a limit, no regulator. The whole idea is crazy and the auto manufacturers will (or should) fight tooth and nail to stop this.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

As far as I can tell (and I admit I haven't bothered to look in to this much) the "plan" to install speed limiters on all EU cars is about as much a "plan" as somebody saying I "plan" on purchasing a Corvette Stingray because I flipped through the specs and option sheet. Instead, this seems to be mostly a UK based article drumming up attention by playing into anti-EU sentiment in the UK.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM

I see. Is it just me or does bad journalism seem to be south more effective than credible journalism? By effective I mean effective at generating money for the journalists.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Let the EU continue down it's shit hole slalom. We aren't far behind either.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo oooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOo00000000000000OOOOOOooo ooooooooo!

Evan
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Let the EU continue down it's shit hole slalom. We aren't far behind either.

I agree but I will however draw an important distinction between the government taking away rights of a citizen to do something as opposed to regulating the specs of some consumer product. If I can get in trouble for uninstalling some required add-on, that's one thing. But if I the law simply requires that the good conform to some specification and I can freely do what I wish with it after the fact, that's another scenario altogether.

Quick Reply: EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters