Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

End of sports cars for the masses?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

what do you call a sports car? In the 90's the Supra's, 300zx turbo, RX7's all were about as fast a stock Mustang GT, EVO or STI is today. Hell my Trailblazer SS does a 14.0 Qtr mile which is as fast as a 1991 300zx turbo. SRT8 Jeep will beat all of these in the qtr mile

There are plenty of sports cars for the masses.... Mazdaspeed 3, miata, sky, solstice, S2000, RX8, 350Z / 370Z, Evo, STI, Mustangs, Camaro, Challenger, Elise (pushing the $ limit).... there are probably more....

I don't think any of these is slated to not be produced any time soon.

maybe I missed something? These all seem "affordable" to me.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Nov 21 2008, 08:32 AM

There are plenty of sports cars for the masses.... Mazdaspeed 3, miata, sky, solstice, S2000, RX8, 350Z / 370Z, Evo, STI, Mustangs, Camaro, Challenger, Elise (pushing the $ limit).... there are probably more....
True but I think there is a high likelyhood that the sky, solstice, s2000, rx8, Evo and Challenger will disappear in the next few years.

I think there will cars that survive, but to me the ones that would seem most likely to make it through a tough time are the Mustang (which I do not consider to be a sports car), Miata, and the Nissan. Just because of the loyal following, and the percentage of sales they represent for that manufacturer.

I think the bad economy will push the market for used sports cars down and that might mean 05 Elises in the mid twenties by the dozen. Yeah!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

The miata came out in 1990 and is the best selling sports car of all time (i thought I read that somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong). Personally, I was hoping for gas to stay somewhat high so people would stop buying SUV's (unlike the mid/late 90's when the SUV craze started). High gas prices and slow economy would just bring sports cars that are like the miata, crx/civic/del sol instead of supra/rx7/300zx.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Nov 21 2008, 03:37 AM
Personally, I hope the economic downturn will spark a rennaisance for more elemental and MINIMALIST sports cars. Smaller, simpler, less power, less WEIGHT. More sports cars in different flavors at the Miata level.

So-called "sports cars" that weigh well over 3000 lb. don't appeal to me much, even with 300, even 400+ hp. I'd rather have something smaller/lighter/more-basic/cheaper, even with less power/weight (though I'm not at all against keeping all the hp while paring down the size/amenities/weight/cost!).

The Solstice was originally supposed to be 2400 lb., 240hp, ~$24,000. That formula REALLY appeals to me.

Let all the overgrown, overpowered, over-featured, overWEIGHT "sports cars" or sporty cars die.

Bring on smaller/simpler/lighter/cheaper! Must have rwd/irs, though!

I don't really think it'll happen, but it's possible...
This is America... Alot of Americans like "muscle" cars and could care less about sports cars. Thus we get trucks with 500hp that can do 0-60 sub 5 seconds.. for some reason im doubting the ability of these trucks to go around corners.. The only American sports cars that go around corners well are made by gm and they are going under lol.. Maybe the new viper can go around them but thats not a car for the average person..
Old 11-21-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by hariku821,Nov 20 2008, 10:32 PM
Im not sure if you will know the guy.. His name is leo laport he is a tech guy they had some financial guys on his podcast.. ( this week in tech... twit)

they said now would be a great time to start a business if you had the capital to take a finical hit for 5 years.. that is loose money for that long. but after you would have built a great consumer base and gotten your business off the ground for cheaper than normal. These guys are the only ones i have heard address it as a depression and give an estimate of how long it will last. im sure many others have as well i just haven't heard them.. i dont get good reception on am stations in the town my college is in so i dont listen to talk radio as much as i used to..

I would like your input on the situation if you dont mind.. i mostly just hear recession not depression type talk if thats your state of mind to im not arguing against you i just prefer to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.. if 5 years is the worst we wont be to bad off..
Ok, twit, most economists, CFAs, and CFPs will testify that we are in a recession. Historically speaking since the Great Depression, it typically takes the market 12-18 months to rally, at which time most folks regain much of their losses, but of course it will take a dollar cost averaging strategy vs. timing the market.
Taking a financial hit for 5 years is much different from a "depression" recovering in the same time, most businesses "depression" or not typically run net losses in their first year, and in cases where a business requires a lot of sunk capital and r&d, may take years until they make an actual economic profit vs. an accounting profit. If you do have the capital, it would be wise to open a business, but the question would remain, would you better off investing? The funny thing about business is that it doesn't matter what economic time you start it in, it all depends about your industry. For example, McDonalds is doing well right now vs. GM begging for money.
So you're using one radio station? Do you watch Mad Money as well?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Nov 21 2008, 03:37 AM
Personally, I hope the economic downturn will spark a rennaisance for more elemental and MINIMALIST sports cars. Smaller, simpler, less power, less WEIGHT. More sports cars in different flavors at the Miata level.

So-called "sports cars" that weigh well over 3000 lb. don't appeal to me much, even with 300, even 400+ hp. I'd rather have something smaller/lighter/more-basic/cheaper, even with less power/weight (though I'm not at all against keeping all the hp while paring down the size/amenities/weight/cost!).

The Solstice was originally supposed to be 2400 lb., 240hp, ~$24,000. That formula REALLY appeals to me.

Let all the overgrown, overpowered, over-featured, overWEIGHT "sports cars" or sporty cars die.

Bring on smaller/simpler/lighter/cheaper! Must have rwd/irs, though!

I don't really think it'll happen, but it's possible...
this would be nice
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Nov 21 2008, 11:07 AM
Ok, twit, most economists, CFAs, and CFPs will testify that we are in a recession. Historically speaking since the Great Depression, it typically takes the market 12-18 months to rally, at which time most folks regain much of their losses, but of course it will take a dollar cost averaging strategy vs. timing the market.
Taking a financial hit for 5 years is much different from a "depression" recovering in the same time, most businesses "depression" or not typically run net losses in their first year, and in cases where a business requires a lot of sunk capital and r&d, may take years until they make an actual economic profit vs. an accounting profit. If you do have the capital, it would be wise to open a business, but the question would remain, would you better off investing? The funny thing about business is that it doesn't matter what economic time you start it in, it all depends about your industry. For example, McDonalds is doing well right now vs. GM begging for money.
So you're using one radio station? Do you watch Mad Money as well?
Jim Cramer is a genius. Listen to that guy!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by second2none,Nov 21 2008, 09:37 AM
Jim Cramer is a genius. Listen to that guy!
Lol, yes he is. In all fairness though, he does have quite a databank of a brain.

I don't miss the sportscar for the masses, I miss the overengineered, durable, and cheap for car for the masses. Engines like the sr20de, b series, 1g 4g63, cars that you could break down with two sockets and can interchange with a plethora of other cars. And through simplicity, the cars were light and somehow could sit 4 college kids with light luggage.
But there is hope, new tc, nissan's rwd coupe, hyundai's (although overweight) genesis coupe, so alls well.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 AM

I dont watch that guy and i don't really listen to economist. I like technology and some conservative talk show hosts. I dont listen to one station. i listen to the 2 available in my area or rather 2 that were available and i watch/listen to technology podcasts.

Recession seems to be just sugar coating things... GM is on the brink of going under and thats just a recession... Im not freaked out i dont think its going to be another great depression but im willing to come to terms with the fact that this may be a depression and it may take a few years to get out of it.. some people arent..

As well the global market isnt doing so great.. the pound was worth nearly double the dollar now its only worth a quarter more.

The thought of investing right now seems crazy if a company goes under you loose everything.. who know what companies will go.. like i said if GM can go down then any one can..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 AM

i dont like the new sport cars 300 hp 400hp 3400 3800 lbs same weight of a toyota rav 4 i prefer weight powe ratio s2000 mazda miata rx7

Quick Reply: End of sports cars for the masses?