Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

End of the Manual Transmission?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Z06 and ZR1 both come with 6 speed manuals.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about all the semi's?
Old 10-26-2008, 10:21 AM

1) some semis are equiped with automatic. it's not full automatic though.
2) stick shift/manual/standard transmission will NEVER be fully removed from the automotive world.
just look back at the FWD phenom ten years ago. manufacturers were claiming FWD was the future. lighter, hence faster accel and better fuel economy, cheaper to build because of a lack of a prop shaft and r&d for IRS, and safer/easier to drive in bad weather.
but all that was not enough to kill the RWD layout. too many wanted rear wheel drive. and it's making a come back. even the freekin tiburon is gonna be rear wheel drive.

there are waay more clutch pedal fans then there are RWD fans. manufacturers will build plenty of paddle shift autoboxes. and when they learn that true enthusiast are skipping on their faster automatics in favor for slower more fun manual trans, they will begin building and equiping more standard transmissions.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I can't drive an automatic. I tried over the years as I bought 2 different trucks but both of them went away very quickly. I've never owned an automatic car and never plan on it.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zomax,Oct 25 2008, 07:37 PM
This is precisely why I feel safe letting my S run outside the convenience store while I go in to buy milk. None of the punks outside could drive a stick.
The S2000 is now among the top 10 most stolen cars in the US, don't make it easier for them!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 42 and have never owned an automatic-equipped car. All 4 trucks I've owned have had autos, and I'm OK w/ that.

Fortunately I have a short and un-congested commute, but I'd appreciate an auto (or DSG-style) tranny more if I had a long daily commute in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i can't drive an automatic cause no one ever taught me how...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:45 AM

I like driving a manual car when you are able to really drive the car. For a track day car I would choose a manual even if it was not the fastest(when has anyone won a track day?)

But seriously guys, in bad stop'n'go traffic pumping a heavy clutch gets old very quickly...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Oct 26 2008, 09:00 AM
Keep the faith. Manuals are just too handy ,particularly with utility vehicles. In the 40's Chysler and maybe others had a fluid drive transmission that could either be shifted or left in third gear and driven as an automatic. Unlike present day automatics, these transmissions did have a manual clutch. Always a little curious why this concept didn't survive to present day. I think for the foreseeable future, manuals are going to exist even if it's the return of the compromised fluid drive..
My first car was a 1953 DeSoto with Tip Toe Shift with Fluid Drive. Those were pretty crude transmissions, but then so were the two speed automatics of the same era. There was also Plymouth Hi Drive, which was a three speed column shift, with conventional clutch pedal, and a conventional torque converter in tandem with the clutch. And Renualt had Ferlec, which was an electrically engaged/disengaged clutch, based on pressure on the shifter, rather than a conventional clutch pedal. There was essentially no electronics in those days. Modern automatic transmissions are the result of evolution along a somewhat different path with three branches: six or more forward speeds plus torque converter (which is the most common aproach in 'better' cars); electronically controlled manual transmissions, such as VW's DSG (which are most expensive, but have the best potential for performance and efficiency); CVT's, which are an intriguing idea which somehow has not caught on, perhaps because it has not yet been perfected (apologies to Nissan).
Old 10-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Oct 26 2008, 05:57 AM
I can't believe we are under 8% for being able to drive stick
Actually, the article says that in 2007, less than 8% (to be more precise, 7.7%) of all new cars sold were equipped with manual transmission. It doesn't claim that less than 8% of all car owners know how to drive a stick. I'm sure there are a few people throughout the world who know how to drive stick but don't want to because they only have use for one car or have a long commute and don't want to be shifting gears throughout their long drive.

Quick Reply: End of the Manual Transmission?