Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

End of the Manual Transmission?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default End of the Manual Transmission?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.asp...cumentid=656470
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sad but true.

but there will always be enthusiast that will never go auto. To this day, my uncle refuse to buy CDs or DVDs because he says "Vinyl sounds better"

Auto for Daily Driver
Auto for Weekend Car
Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cthemall123,Oct 25 2008, 11:06 AM
"Vinyl sounds better"
it's true, you know... =]

i remember from the get go... my first car, I was adamant that it be a manual transmission. at first it was because i thought it looked cool how people drove with one hand and stuff. then i realized through my own experimentation that driving with one hand is stupid. but i still thought the idea of driving an MT was cool. haha.

i dun ever want to drive an automatic as my daily.
and since my S2K is supposed to last me "forever,"
i think i'll always have something to go back to if/when the whole world ditches MT and goes for the automatic/sequential shift set ups.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM

This is the start of what could be a good thread.

I am pushing 62 & I still love the S2k shifting. I expect my engineering background and my youth of driving RWD cars in Maine winters and in ICE races enforces that.
For me the sense of feeling a lack of engine-drive train response when driving a typical slushbox sedan is a big factor in selecting a manual. Never having been fortunate to drive something like an F1 rig with its latest generation of phenominal gear change systems I will wait for a street machine that can be found with the same charateristics.

I suspect we will see the day of 100% takeover of tight CVTs and automatically controlled manual gearboxes and perhaps find it is not as difficult a transition as one thinks.
However, I also think I will still long for the old 4, 6 or 8 "on the floor" not only for the fond and vivid memories but simply for the fact that it is just more fun to drive.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flight240,Oct 25 2008, 12:06 PM
it's true, you know... =]

i remember from the get go... my first car, I was adamant that it be a manual transmission. at first it was because i thought it looked cool how people drove with one hand and stuff. then i realized through my own experimentation that driving with one hand is stupid. but i still thought the idea of driving an MT was cool. haha.

i dun ever want to drive an automatic as my daily.
and since my S2K is supposed to last me "forever,"
i think i'll always have something to go back to if/when the whole world ditches MT and goes for the automatic/sequential shift set ups.
i don't know about others but my hands are always at 9 and 3 and the only time the right hand is not at 3 is when i'm shifting.

i remember last year i asked if honda should make an dsg type tranny for the S and i got mixed answers. as much as i'd like to see a dsg in the S there is something about getting the perfect rev-match downshift in the S that a left paddle-shift tap cannot duplicate in terms of driver satisfaction. the only time i can see where the paddle-shift would be nice is when your redlining through the gears and you can pretend to be lewis hamilton on your way home or on track days but if your paddle-shifting between 3-5k it would be downright boring.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Manufacturers of sports cars like the gt-r must know that a large percent of buyers would rather have a manual. So why cant they fake it? We already have hydrolic clutches why not make them electric and throw in a shifter along with the paddles. Program the car to know when its in dual clutch mode automatic or manual mode. Then it would be close to driving a regular manual you push the clutch in the car receives a signal to tell it what to do then you select your gear and go.

While i love the idea of dual clutch and would love to throw the s into automatic mode when im in heavy traffic i love the 6 speed more. but if they could make up something to mimic it and have those other modes available i would do it. I plan to keep my s for quite some time and move up when i get another car a gt-r would be nice or what ever they come out with in the next 10yrs but i don't know if i could give up the 6 speed.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:37 PM

This is precisely why I feel safe letting my S run outside the convenience store while I go in to buy milk. None of the punks outside could drive a stick.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM

^^^ LOL that's safe.

Man imma miss manual tranny's if they stop making them
Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Cthemall123,Oct 25 2008, 11:06 AM] Auto for Daily Driver
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 PM

im really scared this is going to happen..

Quick Reply: End of the Manual Transmission?