Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Effects of different tire treads on same end?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
I've done it and did not like it at all. The biggest issue has less to do with the tread pattern than the design and structure of the tire. One tire catches and follows every crack in the road while the other, not so much. The result is "weirdness" when driving. I only had to stick it out for one day until the right size tires came in, but it was un-nerving.

It really depends on the specific tires. I don't know that anyone could predict the actual effects without trying out the two tires in question.

I have had unpleasant experiences with different tires in on the front than what was mounted on the rears, with really unpredictable tramlining as an example (fronts follow the crack while the backs do not, or vice versa), but also have experienced zero issues with different tires up front than what was on the rear. The result depends on how different the two tires react to road imperfections.

In my experience it's not predictable. It could be fine, it could be nerve-wracking. Based on past experience, I'd avoid the situation if at all possible.

Yep, not a good idea at all. The thing everybody's missing and you touched on is that different tires make grip different ways. In other words, at the same steering angle and amount of grip needed, the necessary slip angle is different. So aside from the issues with balance and tire behavior, this means literally constantly unaligned tires (assuming you've got different tires on right and left). That's just a bad idea.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Seriously, I wouldn't have any qualms as long as the tires have similar performance characteristics. I think the potential negatives might be being overstated.

If I had an S2000 on OEM RE050 tires and had tire damage to one of them and plenty of tread (more than half) left on its opposite, I would go ahead and replace that one tire with something like the RE050A PP or S-04, whatever max perf tire I would be going to on my next set anyway.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So here's what happened. I need some new tires but I'm waiting to get paid by a couple of clients first. So yesterday I decided to buy some used tires in the mean time. Turns out used tires in 225 50/16 are hard to find, a very rare size. So after a bunch of looking around I found one tire that was really good, close to new. Then found another one in about the same shape at another shop.

Both were the same brand but different model and only slightly different tread pattern. After mounting and balancing (took the wheels there in my van, not the S), I put them on at home and did a test drive. As others here said would happen, it pulled to the left on acceleration and pulled to the right on deceleration. Even between shifts I had to fight the wheel to keep it going straight as it would pull to one side or the other. That was scary enough in dry weather so I don't even want to think how bad it would be in the wet.

So today I took them back to the 2nd shop where the guy agreed to exchange the 2 mis-matched tires for a pair that were matched, also in nearly new shape at no additional charge.

So take it from me, the lesson here is never buy tires that go on the same end (front end or back end) that have different tread pattern, even if they are the same brand.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 PM

OK, you bought some crap *USED* tires that were very likely NOT in the same performance category at all and you conclude that any handling issues were due to tread pattern?

I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion here.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion here.
Okay, it's possible. Can you elaborate? I think the brand of the mis-matched pair was Sumatra. The new pair is Goodrich, both same model and tread design.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenW
Both were the same brand but different model and only slightly different tread pattern. After mounting and balancing (took the wheels there in my van, not the S), I put them on at home and did a test drive. As others here said would happen, it pulled to the left on acceleration and pulled to the right on deceleration. Even between shifts I had to fight the wheel to keep it going straight as it would pull to one side or the other. That was scary enough in dry weather so I don't even want to think how bad it would be in the wet.
The behavior you describe is not due to difference in tread pattern. One of those tires has an internal defect. This sometimes happens even with brand new tires of the same make/model.

A LONG time ago it might have been due to one tire being bias-ply and the other being a radial, but that's not likely in this case.

Even with vastly different performance tires left/right, you wouldn't get the behavior you describe while driving normally unless one was defective.

I think the brand of the mis-matched pair was Sumatra. The new pair is Goodrich, both same model and tread design.
So, what tire make/model do you have up front, and what model BFG in back?
It is fairly important to have similar performance characteristics front/rear. If you have good max perf tires up front and "touring" tires in back, you will have handling balance issues that might not become evident until the back end is coming around!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you're getting it ZDan. He had the same tires on the left side of his car, but different tires on the right side of his car. It's not one pair in the front, and one pair in the back.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Up front is a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS/D3 with about 90% tread on them. The Goodrich tires are G Force SuperSport A/S (W rated).
Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by RC 94
I don't think you're getting it ZDan. He had the same tires on the left side of his car, but different tires on the right side of his car. It's not one pair in the front, and one pair in the back.
It was one pair of the same make/model/tread pattern in front and in the back I had 2 tires of the same make but different models and slightly different tread patterns.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenW
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1313836267' post='20896854
Up front is a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS/D3 with about 90% tread on them. The Goodrich tires are G Force SuperSport A/S (W rated).
Your rears are going to have a lot less grip in the wet or dry vs. your fronts. Not good...

GS-D3 ranked 4th in Max Perf Summer tires

BFG SuperSport A/S ranked 13th in Ultra High Perf All-Season tires

Be careful out there...

Quick Reply: Effects of different tire treads on same end?