Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Edmunds Tests the 2006 Jetta GLI

Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-15-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Sep 14 2005, 10:42 PM
And the TSX isn't overpriced?

It is a neither here nor there car. Pay less and get about as much (or even more); pay just a little bit more and get a hell of a lot more.
Not saying it isn't. I'm not really in the market, but I do put the TSX on a higher level than the Jetta. This just makes things worse. The Jetta is overpriced compared to an 'arguably' overpriced TSX. That's all I'm saying.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't driven a TSX or Jetta yet, but I find it hard to believe a TSX is overpriced when it's MAX price is $29-30K with nav, HIDs, Stability control, etc..when now a Passat can max out at $36-$38K. When a A3 maxes out over $30K, when an accord can equal the price of a TSX, when a Jetta can cost as much as a TSX etc..

Point is, if you're looking at the TSX and saying well it's only got 200hp 4-banger and a Maxima will give you a V6 for the same money or an Altima or an Impalla etc.. Then you don't get the TSX.

Some things are more than about the engine size or HP rating.

I'll have to look but I'd bet the quality or materials or the service of the TSX is better than the accord. I believe the warrenty and dealership experience should be better than the Accord.

Some people don't need/want 244+-hp in a FWD car. Some people may prefer a high revving I4 with a MT. I know it's not the norm, or people will say you need low end torque, but it's possible some people will prefer a TSX over a Maxima/Altima/Avalon etc..

Remamber not everyone wants the same thing. People will say a Mini or an Elise are over-priced when you can get a GTi or a Vette larger cars with larger engines for similar money.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 AM

TSX is slightly overpriced and heavily underpowered IMO. The interior quality is nice, indeed.

Everyone talks about VW/Audi nightmares... I must have missed the boat completely.

I've owned a 99.5 Jetta GLS VR6 and a 01 GTi VR6, my stepsister has a 00 Jetta GL, my cousin has a 03 Jetta GLX VR6, my brother had a 00 Jetta VR6, a 98 Jetta GLX, a 89 GTi. My father has had 2 Passats... My other brother also had a Passat and my stepmother had an Audi for some time.

Im all these cars... the problems encountered was a window that fell off its frame, a maf air-flow sensor that went out (happens on Porsche's and many Bosch ECU'd cars too), and an alternator going out on a older Passat.

That's it.

I've never heard of anyone speaking to me in person, at club meetings, at auto-x days, etc. about their bad experience with a VW...

With that being said, I will agree that they are getting a little inflated in price. However, don't knock the Phaeton for being too crazy... it doesn't lag behind too far in amenities when compared to a MB (reliability problems there too), a BMW, a Audi (same car)... so I don't see what the problem is. Its a VW, it seems strange, yes, but its not less of a car because of it. Its still made of similar plastic, metal, rubber than a Audi, MB, BMW...

The best bet is simply to get a used car. Yeah, that old GLI someone mentioned up earlier was expensive at the dealer... but C'mon... dealers want 27-29k for a 03 S2000 these days... it shouldn't be anything new to you.

Here's a good buy on VW... go out and get a used GTi VR6. Nice hatch, very nice luxury, super interior.. and for the 13-15k that you will spend, you can't touch it with anything else in its price range. I regret 1 million times over getting rid of my 01 GTi VR6. They sell used for about the same price as a Civic Si and they offer so much more... with just as good reliability in my book.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 15 2005, 09:33 AM
I haven't driven a TSX or Jetta yet, but I find it hard to believe a TSX is overpriced when it's MAX price is $29-30K with nav, HIDs, Stability control, etc..when now a Passat can max out at $36-$38K. When a A3 maxes out over $30K, when an accord can equal the price of a TSX, when a Jetta can cost as much as a TSX etc..

Point is, if you're looking at the TSX and saying well it's only got 200hp 4-banger and a Maxima will give you a V6 for the same money or an Altima or an Impalla etc.. Then you don't get the TSX.

Some things are more than about the engine size or HP rating.

I'll have to look but I'd bet the quality or materials or the service of the TSX is better than the accord. I believe the warrenty and dealership experience should be better than the Accord.

Some people don't need/want 244+-hp in a FWD car. Some people may prefer a high revving I4 with a MT. I know it's not the norm, or people will say you need low end torque, but it's possible some people will prefer a TSX over a Maxima/Altima/Avalon etc..

Remamber not everyone wants the same thing. People will say a Mini or an Elise are over-priced when you can get a GTi or a Vette larger cars with larger engines for similar money.
The top of the line Passat has a 280hp motor and niceties that the TSX does not, like bi-xenon adaptive headlights, rain sensing wipers, keyless entry/start.....and on and on and on. It's a far more luxurious car than the TSX with a lot more power to boot. Ofcourse it should be more expensive.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honda vs. VW. it will never end. some guys like VW's and hate honda's. some guys like honda's and hate VW's(me!). it just comes down to what you want to spend YOUR money on. for me, i am a honda/acura guy in the blood. others would say the same bout the VW/Audi. its all likes and dis-likes.

so lets just leave it at that. i bought a tsx. some agree some dis-agree. does than mean i am going to take back my "accord"? hell no, i LOVE IT!! hahahaha!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:57 AM

gee, maybe the whole world should just drive a honda and get it over with eh...
Old 09-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh come on, dont be dramatic. there ARE BETTER cars out there. hurts me to say it. ha! i just really like hondas. and that just me. but if the the only two choices were VW or HONDA, then ya we should drive hondas!!!