Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Edmunds Tests the 2006 Jetta GLI

Old 09-13-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Sep 13 2005, 03:32 AM
First of all, we're talking about the Jetta GLi. There is no Passat GLi.

Secondly, the GLi is selling at invoice which is $22,799. Go to carsdirect.com and take a look for yourself.

Thirdly, there is no need to claim that this car is unreliable since it was launched a few months ago and there is no reliability data at this time.

And yes I can say that the Jetta is just a nice a car as the TSX. The TSX is a European market Accord for heaven's sake. You all make it sound like it's a 3 series. It's an Accord with an Acura badge.
Sorry, simple mistatement, I was thinking Jetta and typed Passat.

Ok, 2, I dunno about carsdirect.com, but a completely base Jetta GLI on Edmunds goes for $23,480. While a base TSX goes for $26,805. Now, lets see what the Jetta goes for when it has all the options of the TSX: $26,564 just for the option package to get the moonroof, auto-climate control, heated-seats/mirrors/washers, and XM/Sirius satellite radio. So, yeah, same price.

I have no idea on the reliability, I do not, have not, and have no current plans to own a VW or Audi. This is because they don't currently fit my needs, I'm not biased, just looking purely at bang for buck.

And the last statement is pure arrogance. Yes, the TSX is based off of the foreign market Accord, but lets face it, I bet you can find low end Euro Accords without leather, moonroof, etc but the TSX has all of these standard. The GS is a Lexus Camry, but the Camry isn't in the same class luxury-wise. So to truly get a good comparison, you'd have to compare the TSX to the A4, not the Jetta.

And FYI, the A4 goes for $31,660 with 0 options.

** Disclaimer: All prices gathered using Edmunds.com. Some comparisons using the TSX required using the 2005 specs. TSX prices are all for the 2006 model.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Sep 13 2005, 08:54 AM
Not that there isn't some truth to what you're saying, but the overwhelming majority of VW bashing I hear comes from VW owners themselves. In fact I have yet to find a person in real life who ownes a recent model VW who says they'd buy another one.
I've owned three VW's. They've all been very reliable. I currently own a 2003 GTi VR6. I am planning on buying the next R32 when it comes out.

So there you go, you just found one person who is going to buy another VW.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by mbilderback,Sep 13 2005, 09:27 AM
And the last statement is pure arrogance. Yes, the TSX is based off of the foreign market Accord, but lets face it, I bet you can find low end Euro Accords without leather, moonroof, etc but the TSX has all of these standard. The GS is a Lexus Camry, but the Camry isn't in the same class luxury-wise. So to truly get a good comparison, you'd have to compare the TSX to the A4, not the Jetta.

And FYI, the A4 goes for $31,660 with 0 options.

** Disclaimer: All prices gathered using Edmunds.com. Some comparisons using the TSX required using the 2005 specs. TSX prices are all for the 2006 model.
How is my last statement ignorance? It's EXACTLY the same car as the European Accord. Yes, you can get a European Accord with a lower spec, but the mechanicals are absolutely identical. It is the EXACT SAME car!

To put this in perspective for you, one of my family members who lives in Canada drives a new Acura EL. That's Acura's version of the Honda Civic in Canada. That car is identical to the Civic EX sedan that is sold in the US. In Canada they don't sell an EX, they sell the Acura EL. Using your logic, you would thus claim that the Acura EL is loosely based on the Civic.

The GS is not based on the Camry. It's rear wheel drive. The ES is based on the Camry. The differences between the ES and Camry are a unique body, interior and many mechanicals.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsolman,Sep 10 2005, 12:06 PM
Don't forget all these nice interiors you are seeing in economy cars is pretty much the influence of VAG. It must be pretty embarassing when a $16 Golf has a nicer interior than a $45k Corvette.
the interior design/quality of my old 1991 lexus ES250 was leaps and bounds ahead of the interior of a friends 1999 GTI VR6, which supposedly an upper end VW.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Sep 13 2005, 10:08 PM
How is my last statement ignorance? It's EXACTLY the same car as the European Accord. Yes, you can get a European Accord with a lower spec, but the mechanicals are absolutely identical. It is the EXACT SAME car!
the tsx is universally praised everywhere and is a C&D 10Best for goodness sake!

3-series, no, but it is the closest thing to a 3-series a FWD can get. By the same logic, the Accord Euro R is, too! So what if it is the same as a euro accord...the euro accord is an excellent car. IMO, it is better than the USDM given my preferences.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by steven975,Sep 14 2005, 10:41 AM
the tsx is universally praised everywhere and is a C&D 10Best for goodness sake!

3-series, no, but it is the closest thing to a 3-series a FWD can get. By the same logic, the Accord Euro R is, too! So what if it is the same as a euro accord...the euro accord is an excellent car. IMO, it is better than the USDM given my preferences.
It's still an Accord...
Old 09-14-2005, 05:06 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Sep 13 2005, 08:54 AM
Not that there isn't some truth to what you're saying, but the overwhelming majority of VW bashing I hear comes from VW owners themselves. In fact I have yet to find a person in real life who ownes a recent model VW who says they'd buy another one.
I'd buy another VW

I had a VW Fox for 6 years and now have a Passat for 7 years.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Sep 14 2005, 07:52 PM
It's still an Accord...
And the VWs are still way overpriced. I'm not saying any one of these cars aren't nice, just that their price point is too high for the car.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And the TSX isn't overpriced?

It is a neither here nor there car. Pay less and get about as much (or even more); pay just a little bit more and get a hell of a lot more.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont even get me started on the R32. once again stevec hits the nail on the head. i just bout a tsx monday night. but while i was at the acura dealership this very thread came to my mind. so i went to the vw bone yard, er, dealership and test drove a new jetta. it just so happen that the dealership HAD a new GLI but it was not for test drive. so i drove a 04 GLI. i figure the base jetta wasnt worth the time. the 04 gli, was nice in side, golf ball shifter in all. (isnt that a "golf" thing?) anyway, one nice thing to report i didnt expierence an electircal fire. the gli, was disconnected from the road, suffer horrible turbo lag, and stopped like a mack truck. i gave vw a fair chance. it wasnt an 06 gli, but according to mag test the speed difference is the same, in fact i think the new one is slower.

i bought a TSX. better bulid quailty, performace, and price. i bought my NEW 05 tsx for 26,700 out the door. the used gli was 23,495. jetta, psh, please.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Tests the 2006 Jetta GLI