Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Edmunds Tests the 2006 Jetta GLI

Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds Tests the 2006 Jetta GLI

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=107126
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VW sucks. it fat, its ugly and it looks really stupid. the next generation of classic vw trash. i am predicting some kind of electrical fire.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Sep 8 2005, 10:49 PM
VW sucks. it fat, its ugly and it looks really stupid. the next generation of classic vw trash. i am predicting some kind of electrical fire.
It's not that bad My company car at the moment is a 2006 Jetta 2.5 N/A. Not bad for a daily driver.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Sep 8 2005, 09:49 PM
don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about vee-dub
Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am sorry. i just have a hate for the VW. just my opinion. oh and i give it 3 weeks until one of the taillights burns out! ha!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 AM

I like the front end on the Jetta less than the new Audi front end. What made them think putting black over the bumper like that would look good? And the price is way too high for an entry level VW. Did you read the end where if you wanted to go all out in the GLI you could get a TSX similarly equiped for the same money? Sorry, try again VW.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:24 AM

The people's car became more expensive by the model.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 AM

It just seems down right rediculous that a starter model of a company's standard line of cars (VW) can reach the same price as an EQUALLY equipped starter model (Not even the least expensive) of a company's luxury line. Seems a bit rediculous. I wonder if you could compare the costs of an RSX-S and a VW GTI side by side. Then take the A3 and the TSX side by side. Seems a bit on the crazy side to me, but of course, I've always found VW/Audi to be a little to proud of their cars, charging considerably inflated prices.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 AM

I've never quite understood the Jetta's appeal either, but VW seems to sell craploads of them, and people continue to buy them regardless of price. This country seems to choose cars that fall on their faces in other countries, and the Jetta is one of those cars. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; it's just an observation...kinda like how the 5-series sells so well here, but everywhere else it pinch hits compared to the E-class.

I wouldn't mind one of these GLIs myself, to be honest. Sure it's heavy and slower than the last GLI, but it's also nicer for a tad bit more cash, and is likely going to get better mileage now that it's a turbo 4 (although the final year of the last GLI was also a turbo 4). If I had to choose between a TSX and a GLI though...I'm probably taking the TSX.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the same drivetrain as the A3 which could be a good candidate to replace my wife's car. I drove the A3 and found it very good (the TSX is great but not the flexible configuration that the A3 is). Unfortunately I have personally had terrible experiences with VW reliability and have witnessed similar Audi problems. As a result I probably pass on any of their products until somehow I get convinced they are over the problems.. meanwhile I guess I will look for a Nissan/Infinity vehicle since they have offered me the best performance reliability combination.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Tests the 2006 Jetta GLI