Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Edmunds 2012 Civic Road Test

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1304952541' post='20554065
I was in the process of buying a Kia Sorrento before I thought "You know, I am going to probably drive this thing for ten years and then have to resell it." I went with the Toyota Highlander and am actually glad I did. I would probably have the same thoughts if I was in this segment and purchasing. I KNOW that the Honda will give me a solid, if unexciting car with little trouble and high resale when I am done with it.
You are way too pragmatic in my book, I could never live like that
For me, making a car purchase decision based upon what might happen or what might not happen when I'm ready to get rid of it, is like putting the cart before the horse
I honestly don't give a crap about projected resale value, my primary focus is on the vehicle itself and what I'm going to deal with on a day-to-day process
Exactly. You still need to live with the damn car for 10 years. who cares if the Toyota is worth a grand more if you had to put up with the malaise during that time.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

The interior in the new Civic looks kind of lame but Jesus Christ, have you guys seen the interior in the Ford Focus?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by OH FO SHO
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1304958197' post='20554485
[quote name='vader1' timestamp='1304952541' post='20554065']
I was in the process of buying a Kia Sorrento before I thought "You know, I am going to probably drive this thing for ten years and then have to resell it." I went with the Toyota Highlander and am actually glad I did. I would probably have the same thoughts if I was in this segment and purchasing. I KNOW that the Honda will give me a solid, if unexciting car with little trouble and high resale when I am done with it.
You are way too pragmatic in my book, I could never live like that
For me, making a car purchase decision based upon what might happen or what might not happen when I'm ready to get rid of it, is like putting the cart before the horse
I honestly don't give a crap about projected resale value, my primary focus is on the vehicle itself and what I'm going to deal with on a day-to-day process
Exactly. You still need to live with the damn car for 10 years. who cares if the Toyota is worth a grand more if you had to put up with the malaise during that time.
[/quote]

Actually it was the opposite thinking that made my decision. The drawbacks of the inferior Kia (harsh ride, inferior interior materials, undetermined build quality) that made me decide if I had to have it for ten years, that the Toyota was superior and worth the extra few grand. The resale was icing on the cake and will more than make up for the extra cost paid.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM

I miss my daily beater 99 Civic Ex Coupe, but I don't see myself owning a Civic ever again, mainly due to fear. Main reason is where I live now. Someone stole my Civic right off the side street I park it at last year, and I only have one garage bay, where the S must stay. If my 99 beater was stolen, I fear history could just repeat itself. I also fell in love with the luxury of the replacement 06 VW Rabbit. Car just feels and drives so much nicer compared to even my friend's 09 Civic as a daily. I do miss the gas mileage, and I took a risk getting a VW, but hopefully it will last me many years. Civics are great cars though for daily driving, reliability, and resale value.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
What's funny is that they have to reference EVERY vehicle in the segment to come up with one that beats the Civic in a particular area, but they can't come up with one that beats it in all areas. Pick and choose much? The Cruze may be quieter but it's also heavier (obvious tradeoff) and gets worse gas mileage. Let's not ignore that they say it is still an agile car, gets great mileage, and has a proven motor.

I agree that its looks have degenerated and the interior isn't as pleasing to me. However, I also know that I wouldn't touch a Focus with a ten foot pole (talk about ugly, plus heavy, plus problematic transmission plus 10% worse gas mileage).
Honda defender hard at work as usual.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader1
Actually it was the opposite thinking that made my decision. The drawbacks of the inferior Kia (harsh ride, inferior interior materials, undetermined build quality) that made me decide if I had to have it for ten years, that the Toyota was superior and worth the extra few grand. The resale was icing on the cake and will more than make up for the extra cost paid.
Undetermined build quality = honestly, how much of an issue is that when the vehicle comes with 10-year 100,000 warranty...
I researched this segment in GREAT DETAIL, and I'm extremely happy to say, I put Mom into a 2011 Sorento
Inferior interior = Not in my book!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
The interior in the new Civic looks kind of lame but Jesus Christ, have you guys seen the interior in the Ford Focus?
Yes, I have seen the Focus
Are you saying it is lame???
I happen to think this is amazing
And I might add, if they made the Focus ST in a 3-door, I would buy one in a heartbeat

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM

the focus looks good but once you sit inside of you can really see how cheep the materials are. and that the fit and finish is actually pretty poor but what can you expect from a car in that class.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Pictures are one thing. Real life is another. The Focus doesn't look nearly as amazing in person. I'm betting the Civic won't look that great in person, either (it looks disjointed to me as well).
Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Former Moderator

Direct Injection FTW!!!

28000 miles.

100,000 miles...

Seeing the above photos, you would have to be one thick person to want a direct injected car.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 2012 Civic Road Test