Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Edmunds 2012 Civic Road Test

Old 05-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Edmunds 2012 Civic Road Test

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2012/road-test.html

2012 Honda Civic Sedan
(1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

Pros
Two models offering 40-plus mpg; easy and responsive handling; available high-performance Si coupe.

Cons
Cheap interior; lackluster exterior design; incremental power gains over predecessor.

Once the Leader, Now Just Keeping Up

By Dan Frio, Automotive Editor

Has it been almost 40 years? Hard to believe, but the 2012 Honda Civic marks the model's ninth generation of production in the United States. From the pint-size hatchback that first showed up amid a historic oil crisis to a lineup full of sedans, coupes and hybrids, the new Civic has always covered the bases: excellent fuel economy, alert handling and solid value.

The 2012 Civic remains one of the most agile compacts around, and the new version now also delivers 41 mpg in fuel-economy (HF) sedan form and 44 mpg as a hybrid. But with the onset of the Civic's middle age, an evolutionary malaise has set in, both inside and out. The hard, dull panels that cover the dash, consoles and doors are better suited to an outdoor adventure vehicle, not a passenger car for city streets or expressways. The 1.8-liter engine delivers 140 horsepower, no more than before. And its exterior skin, while not exactly a liability — after all, BMW 3 Series designs also evolve pretty subtly — distinguishes the Civic neither from its history nor its competition.

And competition in this segment moves fast. The redesigned 2012 Ford Focus and the 2011 Hyundai Elantra offer comparable fuel economy, more power and a better interior. The Chevrolet Cruze is quieter, while the Mazda 3 can match the Civic's responsive handling curve-for-curve. The high-performance Civic Si is still a thrill, but the Mazdaspeed 3 and Volkswagen GTI are both worthy rivals.
Performance

The 2012 Honda Civic carries over its powertrain and chassis from the last generation largely unchanged. The output of 140 hp and 128 pound-feet of torque from the 1.8-liter inline-4 engine remains the same, propelling the Civic to 60 mph from a standstill in an underwhelming 9.2 seconds during Edmunds performance testing.

Honda has found better fuel economy with science, including refined aerodynamics and less rolling resistance. A five-speed manual transmission is standard on lower model trims, and it's a slick, hassle-free gearbox to use. Enthusiastic drivers may find it a little too whispery light in its action, but rush-hour commuters will appreciate its light-effort clutch pedal and short, easy shift throws.

Quick electric-assist steering, a civilized degree of body rigidity and a shorter wheelbase make the coupe and sedan sharp handlers. A front strut and multilink rear suspension carry over with only minor enhancements. Drivers seeking maximum thrills will find them in the Civic Si, which uses a larger 2.4-liter engine and six-speed manual to deliver 201 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque — the latter a 22 percent increase. The additional thrust comes on lower in the power band and helps the Si leap out of a corner, yet still poised for the next one. The engine still exhibits its traditional high-revving character, though the broader spread of power improves drivability.

The 10.3-inch front disc brakes combine with 10.2-inch rear discs on the higher coupe and sedan trims, and they prove competent, though they deliver less stopping power than the competition (the lower DX and LX trim levels replace the rear discs with cheaper drum brakes). In Edmunds testing, a 2012 Honda Civic EX-L sedan stopped in 131 feet, a below-average result for this class.

On the other side of the spectrum is the Civic HF, a Honda designation for fuel-economy trim last seen in the U.S. two decades ago. Essentially an LX sedan with the five-speed automatic, the HF gets 41 highway mpg through aerodynamic improvements like a smooth underbody and streamlined wheels.

Hypermilers looking for comfier digs get nudged into the Civic Hybrid, which offers options like leather and navigation. New lithium-ion batteries trim about 20 pounds compared to the old chassis, and in tandem with a continuously variable transmission the Hybrid delivers 44 mpg. Though the suspension shows typical Honda reflexes, the hybrid's leisurely acceleration and grabby brakes don't inspire much driving fervor.
Comfort

Front and rear passengers benefit from additional leg- and shoulder room in the 2012 Honda Civic. Taller drivers and front passengers will appreciate the 3 inches of additional shoulder room, a wider berth that gives arms and elbows a little more room to roam. Honda's familiar controls that fall easily to hand are unchanged. The Si in particular offers seats bolstered with stiff thigh and torso support.

But the 2012 Civic also carries over another common family trait: noise. Civics have never been particularly quiet, and the new model doesn't deviate from this pattern. Road noise is still accepted by buyers as the price of doing business in the compact market segment, but with competitive models now offering quieter passenger compartments — the Cruze comes to mind — the Civic stands out for its complacent acceptance of this flaw.
Function

A steeply raked windshield creates a massive cowl atop the dashboard that's made of dull industrial-grade plastic and it also wraps around the door panels and flows down the center stack and console. Even the air vents are unusually large. It's a curious selection of interior materials that doesn't fit with the rest of the car's competency — especially in light of competitors offering faux-leather and soft-touch stuff as standard equipment.

Set deep in that asymmetrical cowl is a two-tier dash and driver interface, which now includes a 5-inch color display — intelligent Multi Information Display, or i-MID. This monitors audio, Bluetooth and vehicle information, all controlled through steering wheel buttons and keypads. Opt for a navigation system and you'll have four information zones competing for your attention: digital speedo and i-MID in the top tier and closer to the windshield, and tachometer and nav display below.

Skip the navigation and instead you get an awkward, oversize radio and button array. It's a busy presentation, and the two-tier configuration has never felt quite user-friendly since its introduction on the previous Civic model. The steering wheel keypads and menu buttons navigate through the i-MID, cruise control and hands-free phone functions, and it's easy enough to operate for anyone familiar with smartphone compass controls. But first you'll have to grapple with the 14 buttons and directional commands on the steering wheel alone.
Design/Fit and Finish

The 2012 Honda Civic plays its exterior design close to its predecessor. It's a little more windswept, with a steeper windshield angle, tighter taper to its roof line and pronounced character lines along its sides and flanks. The front fascia is tightened up a bit with a smaller grille and a slightly angrier kink in the headlights. Honda designers say principles of yoga inspired the form.
Who should consider this vehicle

The launch of a new Civic is always an important event. This car is still important to Honda, of course; it's the automaker's second-best-selling car. With an affordable full-featured hybrid (even offering leather upholstery) and a 40-plus mpg sedan, Honda offers two models for those who prioritize fuel efficiency. For those seeking full-tilt compact performance, the Si still squeals with the best.

But the 2012 Honda Civic seemingly has ceded leadership in its class to its rivals. Both the sedan and coupe are still fine cars and worthy selections, of course. Even so, not only has the competition caught up fast, but it is rewriting the class standards.

Others To Consider
Chevrolet Cruze, 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Hyundai Elantra, Volkswagen GTI.

The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm not buying a civic any time soon or any time ever for the rest of my life. There are so many other options out there (i.e Sonata, Forte) that offer a lot more for the price one would pay for that piece of crap.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

What's funny is that they have to reference EVERY vehicle in the segment to come up with one that beats the Civic in a particular area, but they can't come up with one that beats it in all areas. Pick and choose much? The Cruze may be quieter but it's also heavier (obvious tradeoff) and gets worse gas mileage. Let's not ignore that they say it is still an agile car, gets great mileage, and has a proven motor.

I agree that its looks have degenerated and the interior isn't as pleasing to me. However, I also know that I wouldn't touch a Focus with a ten foot pole (talk about ugly, plus heavy, plus problematic transmission plus 10% worse gas mileage).
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I was in the process of buying a Kia Sorrento before I thought "You know, I am going to probably drive this thing for ten years and then have to resell it." I went with the Toyota Highlander and am actually glad I did. I would probably have the same thoughts if I was in this segment and purchasing. I KNOW that the Honda will give me a solid, if unexciting car with little trouble and high resale when I am done with it.

The Focus is very attractive and certainly worth a look. Yeah I think Honda is due for a wakeup call, but I would probably buy an Accord or Civic if buying in either of those segments.

Why no direct injection yet I don't understand. You would think Honda could be pushing 45 mpg and decent power in a civic if they were taking advantage of it.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Because almost everyone using direct injection is having issues with carbon buildup, which requires (under warranty, usually) an engine teardown for cleanup. Even Porsche has had issues, not to mention the obvious others (Audi, especially).
Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Had not heard that. I suupose you could build in a Aquamist like water injection system that would periodically spray to "deglaze" (to use a cooking term) the cylinder. I also wonder if stations could have a special fuel heavy on the techron for DI engines, but that would probably cost so much it would outweigh the mileage benefits.

So at what point iis the buildup supposed to be an issue in terms of miles?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 AM

It depends, really. Some Audis have had it as low as 2K miles (!!!) but most are experiencing it at 25K+ miles. Audi, I believe, has extended their "warranty" on this service to one cleaning AFTER the standard warranty has expired.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread

Everything you could ever want to know! Basically, the best "fix" is to drive it hard, do regular intake cleanings with Seafoam or something similar, and use high-quality gasoline. That will generally help reduce (but not eliminate) the problem.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also haven't heard about significant carbon issues in GM's direct-injected 3.6L V6 motor (code LLT) as used in the Cadillac (at least the CTS), Buick LaCrosse, base Chevy Camaro, and Lambda-platform SUV's (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave).
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 AM

Civic used to be class leading, it used to be innovative, it used to be the lead dog
Civic is now just one of many in its class, it plays it safe, and just mushes along with all the other dogs
And people expect us to believe Honda is doing just great and they are a total success
Yea, riiiiiiiiiiight
Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I was in the process of buying a Kia Sorrento before I thought "You know, I am going to probably drive this thing for ten years and then have to resell it." I went with the Toyota Highlander and am actually glad I did. I would probably have the same thoughts if I was in this segment and purchasing. I KNOW that the Honda will give me a solid, if unexciting car with little trouble and high resale when I am done with it.
You are way too pragmatic in my book, I could never live like that
For me, making a car purchase decision based upon what might happen or what might not happen when I'm ready to get rid of it, is like putting the cart before the horse
I honestly don't give a crap about projected resale value, my primary focus is on the vehicle itself and what I'm going to deal with on a day-to-day process

Quick Reply: Edmunds 2012 Civic Road Test