Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ecclestone's interview

Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawheat,Jun 21 2005, 05:49 PM
I still disagree and calling his comments misogynistic is completely unfair. How do his comments connotate a hatred of women?

Expecting a man who's 75 years old to have to accept "todays" expectations (not standards) of women is horribly arrogant.

So he has an opionion that a woman's place is at home and to be responsible for the domestics. I find nothing wrong with that- I disagree with him, but he's entitled to his opinion. I also know of many women who would agree with him- would phrase it much more delicately, but would agree.

Now if his comments were along the lines of restricting the freedoms or rights of a woman against their will, then I would be completely in agreement with you.
Calling women domestic appliances is appalling and yes is a misogynistic statement.

Saying that I am arrogant for expecting a 75 year old (or anyone of any age) to show a basic level of respect towards another human being is preposterous. So I suppose it is okay for him to denigrate black people (I am not saying he does, I really have no idea) just because he lived in a time where that was acceptable? Outrageous. If you want give him a pass that's okay with me. I am not going to though.

He is perfectly within his rights to hold and express these opinions. We are in a free country after all. However, that also means others, such as myself, are free to call him on it.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
ttb

if you're worth 3+ billion u can say anything u want. I actually kinda agree with him...
Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Not to beat a dead horse but this is getting pretty wierd.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...378/1004/SPORTS[/U]
Old 06-22-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttb,Jun 21 2005, 11:37 PM
if you're worth 3+ billion u can say anything u want. I actually kinda agree with him...
You agree w/ him? C'mon man, a rookie female placing 4th in the Indy 500? That shut a lot of ppl up, I think its time to move forward (maybe joking aside, but this one didnt' seem to try to be funny).

Freedom of speech is one thing, but the Bill of Rights was meant to protect people's ability to believe and express whatever they want, as long as it doesn't hurt others. What he said seemed hurtful to Danica, especially when he called her cell and repeated to her directly what he said to the press (so, we know it wasn't slippage, but rather, intentional).
Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 AM

It was intentional and maybe even scripted. I keep wondering if Patrick turned down a F1 test ride at Indy which she correctly figured was just a publicity stunt. Could be Bernie is just not used to hearing no from an appliance. Like having your washer decide not to spin for you.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Suzukaboy,Jun 22 2005, 08:53 AM
Could be Bernie is just not used to hearing no from an appliance. Like having your washer decide not to spin for you.
"Grill power!"
Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 AM

LL. Good one.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ttb,Jun 22 2005, 01:37 AM
hell, if you're not worth two cents, you can still say whatever you like. The size of your bank account doesn't have any bearing on whether you are an asshole or not. Ecclestone is an asshole, 75 yo or not. You'd think in his lifetime he'd seen enough examples of women doing exceptional jobs at tasks traditionally seen as "men-only," and be capable of acting as a mature adult. Instead, he acts like an immature lout, demonstrating absolutely no class. Piss on him.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by no_really,Jun 22 2005, 03:27 PM
hell, if you're not worth two cents, you can still say whatever you like. The size of your bank account doesn't have any bearing on whether you are an asshole or not. Ecclestone is an asshole, 75 yo or not. You'd think in his lifetime he'd seen enough examples of women doing exceptional jobs at tasks traditionally seen as "men-only," and be capable of acting as a mature adult. Instead, he acts like an immature lout, demonstrating absolutely no class. Piss on him.
You sound just like him....
Old 06-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Besides this guy who has been saying women can't drive race cars? Not many do it, but that doesn't mean they aren't capable. It may have been a crack at all the media coverage that only focused on the fact that she was a woman. I think she is very unprofessional for draping her little ass all over cars in her race suit. She is capatializing on her sex appeal and buying in to the "woman racer" hype instead of making the focus her driving. His coment was out of line, the media coverage (about the hot female racer)has been totally stupid and the fact she has been playing it up damages her credibility as a professional. You don't see michael shumacher pracing around in his underwear, but I admit no one wants to see that either!! But, just because people want to buy it, doesn't mean you have to sell it.

Quick Reply: Ecclestone's interview