Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

eBay selling problem

Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's just asking for the shipping cost back, which sounds reasonable to me - especially since you cannot prove that the tires were undamaged when you shipped them. How much could that possibly be for shipping? $30? just give her the money and make the drama go away.

Otherwise, eventually, she's going to file an ebay Fraud complaint or something.

Andrew
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
She's just asking for the shipping cost back, which sounds reasonable to me - especially since you cannot prove that the tires were undamaged when you shipped them. How much could that possibly be for shipping? $30? just give her the money and make the drama go away.

Otherwise, eventually, she's going to file an ebay Fraud complaint or something.

Andrew
I know it's about what you know, it's what you can prove. But she can't prove the tires were damaged until 2 weeks after arrival. Also, she now is saying she ways half of the product cost (because it was 2 tires) PLUS shipping.

Whenever I've returned something online, I had to pay for the return shipping. Isn't that how it usually works?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
Originally Posted by aklucsarits' timestamp='1320153009' post='21118419

Andrew
I know it's about what you know, it's what you can prove. But she can't prove the tires were damaged until 2 weeks after arrival. Also, she now is saying she ways half of the product cost (because it was 2 tires) PLUS shipping.

Whenever I've returned something online, I had to pay for the return shipping. Isn't that how it usually works?
Shouldve settled w her for original request...

Now its getting more involved.

You need to go to FedEx and say they were damaged and see what they say. Did you not get insurance?

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM

dude screw all of this niceness. She didn't do her part, you paid extra for the sign on delivery, she waited 2 weeks to get back to you, and you have photos before shipping that show no damage.
I say tell her to pound sand or take it up with her mechanic. I'd send her the pics and say "sorry, but I can't refund your money because the product was not visibly damaged when I sent them...here are the pics"
If she goes to eBay, you have means to defend yourself.
If that doesn't work, open a new eBay account in your spouse's name, lol.

that said, I've seen tires that were put on, off, on, and off and the last time they came off the sidewalls were torn and the tires destroyed. It's possible they were shot after removal the first time and it wasn't that visible...if this mechanic guy had a hard time mounting they could have become more visibly damaged during the process...
IDK I feel like used tires are a bad idea in the first place. They just aren't designed to come off.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

She bought a used item and then likely they tried to install them and f'ed it up. Once they install it all bets should be off. It would be one thing if they contacted you right away and said that there was damage but 2 weeks it way to long. For all you know she put them on the car drove around and curbed it and is not trying to put it back on you. I would really push back and stand your ground. You have proof they recieved it and it there was damage they should not have signed for it or filed a claim with fed ex right away. Pretty sure all fed ex packages are insured for a minimum amount and I am not really sure how they would damage a tire in shipping unless it got cut by something in which case she needs to file with Fedex not you.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by dombey
dude screw all of this niceness. She didn't do her part, you paid extra for the sign on delivery, she waited 2 weeks to get back to you, and you have photos before shipping that show no damage.
I say tell her to pound sand or take it up with her mechanic. I'd send her the pics and say "sorry, but I can't refund your money because the product was not visibly damaged when I sent them...here are the pics"

that said, I've seen tires that were put on, off, on, and off and the last time they came off the sidewalls were torn and the tires destroyed. It's possible they were shot after removal the first time and it wasn't that visible...if this mechanic guy had a hard time mounting they could have become more visibly damaged during the process...
IDK I feel like used tires are a bad idea in the first place. They just aren't designed to come off.
the more I think about this, the more I think that people don't understand what they are doing when they are buying used...it's not a NEW product, there is no guarantee the tires won't rip when installed, it is implied that the tires have some wear and tear, it is just like buying anything else used: there may be damage or problems lurking under the surface that the seller and buyer cannot be expected to be aware of. You buy at your own risk. There is a reason that the tires come at a discount to new. There is a reason that cars depreciate faster at the beginning (as do almost any used items)...because you paid a premium for the return policy/guarantee that all is well for a period of time. Even in the event of CPO, you're paying through the nose for the warranty and the reason is because the dealer doesn't really know what that car has been through, either.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey
Originally Posted by dombey' timestamp='1320206327' post='21120880

the more I think about this, the more I think that people don't understand what they are doing when they are buying used...it's not a NEW product, there is no guarantee the tires won't rip when installed, it is implied that the tires have some wear and tear, it is just like buying anything else used: there may be damage or problems lurking under the surface that the seller and buyer cannot be expected to be aware of. You buy at your own risk. There is a reason that the tires come at a discount to new. There is a reason that cars depreciate faster at the beginning (as do almost any used items)...because you paid a premium for the return policy/guarantee that all is well for a period of time. Even in the event of CPO, you're paying through the nose for the warranty and the reason is because the dealer doesn't really know what that car has been through, either.
If I buy something used, I expect for it to be usable. Just because you bought something used doesnt mean its a POS that you will be lucky to be able to use and will most likely self destruct when you place your hand on it.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
Originally Posted by dombey' timestamp='1320361155' post='21127000
[quote name='dombey' timestamp='1320206327' post='21120880']

If I buy something used, I expect for it to be usable. Just because you bought something used doesnt mean its a POS that you will be lucky to be able to use and will most likely self destruct when you place your hand on it.

[/quote]

IMO, the price reflects the chances of it being a POS and self destructing. Given that you're paying less than new, you should be willing to accept that there may be issues with the product that could not be reasonably discovered before the sale. And if the problems were discovered during your attempt to install, then you're screwed. If there weren't potential issues, why would used products cost any less than new??
Of course it sucks when it does explode and you just wasted money, but hopefully if you buy a lot of used things, you'll come out ahead in the long run. But I don't think it makes any sense to expect 100% of your used purchases to perform like new and encounter zero issues.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

That is very subjective as well. Soemthing like a tire that is designed to wear out could have issues when it is remounted and the damage could happen there. Any time you buy something used you are taking alittle risk especially when it needs to be installed. In this case the buyer waited far to long to report the damage if it was there when they recieved the product. If it wasn't and it happened during install then they are SOL. If it was there when they recieved it they should have reported it right away and filed with FEDEX insted of waiting 2 weeks to complain tot he seller. For all he knows she had the tire put on and drove for 2 weeks and had a blow out or got a nail or something. Not his fault it is her deal at that point.