Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

eBay selling problem

Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default eBay selling problem

So I sold a pair of re760's on ebay almost 3 weeks ago. Heres the whole story:

Lady said the shop wouldn't release her car until she got new tires (from me) so I shipped them and didn't hear anything until a few days ago.
After 2 weeks of them being at the body shop, she says she returned from san Fransisco (this whole time she was car-less according to her first message) and her mechanic put the first one on no problems but the second one had sidewall damage. She sent pictures of the damage and I am about 99.9% positive I didn't send them out that way. I am looking through the pictures I have of them, but they aren't very detailed shots. I would have noticed this damage.

I payed for sign on arrival and that is when you inspect the package (in this case tires) but she or her mechanic didn't do that.

The tire does in fact appear to be mine (there was some discoloring that are in both of are pictures on the lettering on the tires) so I don't think she is pulling a switcharoo on me. I do believe it's possible she could be covering for her mechanic (she called him a buddy, even said he was in fact a friend) and he damaged the tire installing it.

All she wants is the shipping costs refunded (not asking a lot, which is almost suspicious) but I still dont want to do that as I took a decent loss on the tires as it was. I don't want to get bad feedback, or worse have eBay get more involved and make a huge deal out of this, but I don't want to so willingly give up my money because what she says.

What should I do? Also, would anyone in their right mind honor even a partial refund in this situation?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why were you responsible for her getting tires after you sold her wheels?

If you have pictures proving that the tires were fine before you shipped them I would tell her to go pound sand. If she takes action with Ebay you can send them the pictures. If you don't and are worried refund her the shipping.

I also can't tell whether you got paid for the tires, or if you just gave them to her out of the goodness of your heart. I still don't understand how it is your job to make sure she has tires if you sold her wheels.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

It's up to them to inspect the tires on arrival. You seem pretty certain they weren't damaged so I'd tell her "Sorry - they were good when I sent them out and it looks like installer damage to me."
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I told you I wouldve bought em.

If you did everything to ensure they arrived in good condition, then youve done your part.

If you packaged crappily, then partial refund is reasonable.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k

If you did everything to ensure they arrived in good condition, then youve done your part.

I actually had FedEx package them so that's on them I would assume.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by luder_5555
Why were you responsible for her getting tires after you sold her wheels?

If you have pictures proving that the tires were fine before you shipped them I would tell her to go pound sand. If she takes action with Ebay you can send them the pictures. If you don't and are worried refund her the shipping.

I also can't tell whether you got paid for the tires, or if you just gave them to her out of the goodness of your heart. I still don't understand how it is your job to make sure she has tires if you sold her wheels.
Maybe you are confused what re760's are? Bridgestone Potenza re760 Sport tires.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
Originally Posted by DFWs2k' timestamp='1319915718' post='21112450

Lol, this is a similar situation to how a kid named manny got banned.

Even though you subcontracted that work out, that was still part of your realm of responsibility, IMO.

This only matters if you think it was damaged in shipping: you should give her a refund and then go after fedex.

If it wasnt damaged in shipping, then it doesnt matter, and thats on her.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C' timestamp='1319923164' post='21112693
[quote name='DFWs2k' timestamp='1319915718' post='21112450']

Lol, this is a similar situation to how a kid named manny got banned.

Even though you subcontracted that work out, that was still part of your realm of responsibility, IMO.

This only matters if you think it was damaged in shipping: you should give her a refund and then go after fedex.

If it wasnt damaged in shipping, then it doesnt matter, and thats on her.
[/quote]

Here's the deal we can't point the finger at shipping because she didn't inspect the tires when she received them (or maybe she did and didn't find anything). I payed for direct signature so she knew, and I knew, and FedEx knew that the tires were acceptable (to the eye, which the pictures she sent me were not) when she got them. She has not done her job as a buyer.

This is just so frustrating.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you are confused what re760's are? Bridgestone Potenza re760 Sport tires.
Wow, complete brain fart, I'm sorry. I was thinking about Volks for some reason. Man and I'm such a tire nerd too.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
Originally Posted by DFWs2k' timestamp='1319915718' post='21112450

Go to fedex and say they were damaged in shipping and see what they say?

Quick Reply: eBay selling problem