Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Earlier Audi A4 - Yay/Nay?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earlier Audi A4 - Yay/Nay?

Hey guys,
I was trying to save up for an s2k but I just can't afford one so i'm going to have to go for something a bit cheaper..for now. Was checking up Carsales and found quite a few A4's at a reasonable price range (~12k). I've heard rumors that the earlier a4's generally have alot of problems.

At this moment, i'm looking into the earlier 2000 model's (2000~2002), to the newer model (2002~2003..past that and it becomes too pricey). In general i'd just like to know its reliability and level of ease to mod it. I'm not too fond on civics, I don't mind the DC2 but the A4 caught my eye for some reason

-Cheers!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM

Don't know much about a4's but I've seen plenty of s2k's go for $13k and under..that's as late as 03-04 and as early as 00-01

My buddy has an 03 rs6 (or s6?..not sure but anyway..) to fix ANYTHING on that car costs an arm and a leg..when something breaks it's just not worth fixing it seems..from what I understand the engines are great but the rest of the car is a whole different issue.

But yeah..I've seen plenty of s2k's go for $12k and the maintenance cost on one (even with high miles) is going to be significantly lower than an audi a4
Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM

As an A4 owner (2007), my advice is to avoid one without a warranty, the service rates can be enormous. They are great cars when everything works, but VW's quality was not the best in that vintage.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 AM

fwiw i leased a 1996 2.8 V6 A4, then a 1999 1.8T A4. had zero problems with eithef of them. granted, even if i did they'd still be under warranty.

the turbo versions are relatively easy to mod. good aftermarket tuner support. my 1.8 was chipped with a bored out throttle body, and it was a fun little car

-c
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 AM

If you don't insist on AWD, check out the E36 3 series. If the car was taken care of properly, it'll be pretty solid, and should be cheaper than an A4 from this decade.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't do it. A B5 A4 is not something that will be bulletproof. If you're on a tight budget, get something reliable. B6-8, sure. But then you might as well get an S2000.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Haha, thx for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it! So I guess it IS true that the audiA4's have alot of problems. I am looking into the E36 m3 as you mentioned tarheel91, and it sure is a pretty sweet car! My friend owns the E30 and it is a BEAST. lol
Any other cars around this price range that are good for purchase?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NAY
Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 AM

I danced with a '99 A4 for about three years... what a beautiful car... it's fit, finish, and driving experience made up for what what it lacked in torque and terminal velocity (Hell, the friggin ashtray opened and closed on ball bearings) but, I couldn't wait to bail on the car when the warranty was up... I never had any catostrophic failures... lots and lots of check engine lights and trips to the dealer to clear the code... I did find learn that parts where hard to fine... took them six months to dig up a replacement radio and parts and maintenance can be a bit pricey. It liked to use oil too but I may have switched to syn oil too soon so that might not have been an Audi issue...

Man, you just can't beat a Honda or Toyota (Accura/Lexus)... replaced the A4 with an Accura and the Accura with an IS350... maybe I'm lucky but I have never had an issue with those cars or any other car cobbled together in the land of the rising sun...

All those words just to suggest that if you don't need a bunch of room and you want a fun, driveable car that you can beat up still get where you want to go the S2000 gets my vote. My personal experience with German cars is that they break and are pricey to unbreak.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 AM

I was in the same boat, searching for a b5 or b6 a4 and s4.

I found that the 1.8t engines were prone to engine sludge, so it was very important for previous owners to maintain the vehicle regularly. If you can find one with a history I would suggest something that way, otherwise your risking a lot.
the 3.0's were pretty good from what i've researched and heard. through friends, people, forums, etc.

I would suggest a b6 atleast. there are other problems to worry about (bearings, etc), but again, many people never had problems with the car, but there are always the few whom do.

They are reliable cars, but if they do break, as people have mentioned it would be more expensive to fix, compared to a honda.

Quick Reply: Earlier Audi A4 - Yay/Nay?