Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E55 or Corvette and truck?

Old 11-24-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CG,Nov 24 2004, 05:32 PM
MDXLuvr, I've got a loaded Duramax crewcab and it's awsome but even with discounts it was about the price of a 04 ZO6. That hurt but the ZO6 couldn't tow the race car or horses.
Thud!!!- thats the sound of me hitting the floor. YOU PAYED $45-50K FOR THE CREWCAB DIESEL.

Oh, well its the Titan or a used Tundra then. I saw discounted titans for $25k. They tow 9k lbs. That should do fine.

btw, isn't the crewcab overkill for your track toys.

nah, you can never have too much torque when towing.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:33 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Nov 24 2004, 06:02 PM
Thud!!!- thats the sound of me hitting the floor. YOU PAYED $45-50K FOR THE CREWCAB DIESEL.

Oh, well its the Titan or a used Tundra then. I saw discounted titans for $25k. They tow 9k lbs. That should do fine.

btw, isn't the crewcab overkill for your track toys.

nah, you can never have too much torque when towing.
Actually I got a hell of a deal on my truck. It is an LT with every option except 4wd that went first to a custom house before being sold new. The MSRP before the Custom job was added was 45K so it would have had a dealer sticker of over 50K. It was traded in 5 months and 14,200 miles from the time it went into service. I managed to get it for under 35K. That is a hell of a lot of greenbacks for a damned truck but... Oh, new Vette's were being marked down into that range and they had a lightly used ZO6 for the same money. The Duramax's weren't being discounted over the rebates.

It's not really overkill for us. We needed a 4 door "family" hauler and we're doing long distances towing a 20 enclosed loaded race car trailer or a 20 something foot gooseneck horse trailer with a couple of big horses in it. The 5.3L Chevy Quadrasteer truck would pull them but it worked way to hard to last long doing it. The diesel also gets better mileage, stops much better, doesn't notice hills, and seems every bit as fast.

If you are serious about a truck you owe it to yourself to drive a GM Quadrasteer. Our Chevy LT 1500 extended cab was easier to park than the S2000 and drove more like a small car. We loved it and we do miss it but we needed a bigger truck. I don't ever want to go back to a gas burner but if they ever build a Quadrasteer Diesel we'll be all over it. BTW, used Q'steer prices are very little more than regular trucks and there are a few with crewcabs. They are great driving trucks.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 24 2004, 09:40 PM
Fanman - don't forget to subtract 25% of the time that the E55 is in the shop.
My parents have had 2 mercedes, and I have had recently (98' SLK 230 Kompressor). Just regular maintenance & a few burned out tailights but no problems what so ever. I guess some people get good examples, some people get bad ones. I had a friend who had a Chevy Truck, and he hated it. Massive problems, he took it into the shop constantly. Finally got stolen, and he practically threw a party. He has an Infiniti FX 35 now.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

QuickAG - I always seem to end up with a collection of things instead of just one really nice thing. At my work (factory) i would look like a total dick showing up in a $80k-$100k car...... but people don't seem to notice if I show up in my Evo or my truck.... (combined purchase price about $65k plus mods).

Do you use your truck to haul stuff? I know I do.... so no way for me to consolidate.

post pics of the E55 when you get it.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:07 PM

need more choices - those listed are unacceptable!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, a truck is indispensible...that's what I'd drive if I had to slim down to one car or truck. Can't haul motorcycles w/ a sportscar!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:19 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm at a point in my life where the Vette/truck works better and since that is what I have, I'll keep it. I was just pondering a consolidation to one vehicle and an E55 would be overkill right now and my co-workers would probably do more than raise an eyebrow as I'm only 27. The truck that I have ('04 Chevy 5.3L 1500 2WD LT) doesn't raise any eyebrows and that is what I drive to work.

As an aside, regarding truck pricing, my fully optioned (save for 4WD) extended cab truck stickered at $32k and I bought it for $23k. My brother has a loaded Duramax '03 truck and it stickered at $45k and he bought it for $35k. So, look around, there are good deals to be had on every truck right now. I'd like a Duramax too, but as I don't really tow anything heavy, it would be major overkill, especially considering my truck averages over 16mpg as it is.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:38 AM

get an srt10 ram it will do the job of both of em
Old 11-26-2004, 04:16 AM

Vette and tourage
Old 11-26-2004, 04:26 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Vette + Truck.

However probably Id rather have a new Boxster S and a SUV (maybe FX35) probably puts me over the limit. Or maybe a NSX

I'm not too crazy about the C6. It looks OK, until I start seeing 50 of them a day.

Quick Reply: E55 or Corvette and truck?