Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E55 AMG..nice

Old 08-18-2003, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got to wring out my brother's 2004 E55 AMG on some great Connecticut roads over the weekend. After it took 13 hours to get from Virginia to Westport, due to the blackout and the Merritt Parkway moving 10 mph for 50 miles, we Zainoed the Black Beauty and I got to "turn it loose". Now, I've been to Bondurant and used to race SCCA "C", so I am OK at speed. My brother is 60 (my older brother I should hasten to add) and this is his first M-B. He has always driven BMW's, the last a 2000 M5.

This car is a beast - a iron fist in a velvet glove. The 6-piston Brembos are electrically activated, the dual sunroofs move towards each other rather than away, and the no-key start is cool - if it senses you have a key (even in body cavities I guess), you press a chromed button on top of the gear shift and it fires up. Nice and smooth, rather quiet, with a slight V-8 rumble at idle fromt he 4-outlet pipes. The car rides well for such a hi-po creature, with 3 settings for the shocks. Wheels are 18" all around, with 245/35-18's out back (Continentals).

After a thorough warm-up and getting used to the brake sensitivity, which is not as bad as reported in the press, we found some strecthes of road in redding, and I unleashed the thing.

Now, i am used to SC'd cars with power, but this thing is flat out a monster. It is without question the fastest 4-door I have ever driven. Even with over 4200+ pounds (car plus me at 240, bro at 180) it gathers speed smoothly, and once inertial forces are overcome, it pulls like a freight train. I believe that from, say, 50 mph, this thing could hold its own with a Z06 or even a Viper. The power bandwidth is so deep and wide, there never seems to be a flat spot. It is limited to about 155, and has 2 speed limiters! Remove the first and you can easily pull to 170 mph+. I have no idea what the removal of the 2nd speed limiter wouldf allow, although without aero aids you are asking for trouble.

The car handled great, although I think I took years off my brother's life, and I did not go all out on the street, as I do not believe in such foolishness, and he would have passed out. I did take two S-curves in a row at 9/10's, and found a trace of understeer, with popwer oversteer at the limi, easily controlled by a touch of counter-lock and some throttle. The stability system intervened a fair amount, but it made good choices, although I would like to cut it off, but we did not know if we could, and I did not want to overstay my dear bro's benevolence.

Braking is amazing - brake feel is progressive and the pedal feedback excellent. Stopping distances are likely world-class for this class of automobile. Fade complete non-existent (huge rotors and they are cross drilled as well).

The sight line down the front is typically M-B, with the headlight pods defining the edges, although the low hood line allowed by the Lysholm-style SC allowed for a Honda-like slope up front, which made the car easier to point and also made it feel smaller than it is. He would have preferred to have the tri-star hood ornament flush mounted like a Bentley vs a RR, but it is not an option. I told him to use it as a targetting device to pick off M5's - like the adjustable sights on a nice Smith & Wesson.

The interior is very very nice. Instead of the woody BMW or goofy Scandinavian light woods, it is dark-stained maple (sparingly used) with black and silver details. The overall feel is modern without being trendy, and much less austere than the Merc of old. The dash pod has analog-look round gauges where they work best, and a center digital display within the speedo that tells you all the usual modern supercar garbage - which CD, and blah-blah-blah. Don't asdk about the system - I could not care less, never listen when i drive.

They are rare, at elast the first allocation. He had to pull some strings (sits on a Board with some Daimler guys) and M-B dealers gave priroity to their "repeat" customers: Arnold is getting one, and Michael Jordan is adding one to his stable.

The car, at just under $80k, is actually a bargain based on the content - I hope for his sake it turns out to be reliable and trustworthy. It has even better performqance than the SL with the same engine. Not sure why, maybe weight distribution allows it to hook up better.

But it goes like stink, and like a beautiful woman, a lot of personality challenges can be overlooked.

If you are in the market for a high performance 4-dr sedan, highly recommended. I just might buy it from him when he gets too old and starts to eye a Bentley. Nice ride.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review. However the brakes arnt 18inch. That must be a typo.

Ive been lucky enough to wail on two seperate S55s, with the blown v8. Those cars are monsters in a straight line. Very, very few cars even come close. Its an incredible bargain for 80k,.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I of course meant the wheels - I have corrected - nice catch. Thx.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up, my dad's dash and keyless go went out on his new one as soon as we got it. we got the dash fixed, the keyless is still jacked. BUT FAAASSSSTTTTTT
Old 08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

nice .
very subtle car with tremendous power...
ultimate q-ship with a little panache
Old 08-18-2003, 05:37 PM

Why would anyone want to own one of these low-quality, gas-guzzling cars? Shouldn't we all be worried about the oil situation in this country and try and conserve what mother Earth has provided us with instead of using it for useless purposes? Besides, the car is overall a pile of junk, and you are paying for the Mercedes-Benz badge. Ever read Consumer Reports? I would take a higher quality, more reliable, more environmentally friendly Lexus ES300 over ANY low-quality Mercedes, of any German car at that.

Ok...feel much better now after hugging a tree.

Great writeup. The E55 is the most badass 4-door on the planet tied with the S55. But as pierceman said...the Keyless Go can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and it could take the dealer a while to fix it...but it's a very cool thing to have.

As for being faster than the SL55...it all depends on which magazine you are looking at and their test conditions. I've seen some magazines come up with numbers showing the E55 is faster, and some saying the SL55 is faster. I have driven both back-to-back, and there is absolutely no difference. Both are as close as you can get to identical in terms of acceleration, around town or up to 155.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:48 PM

wow, that is a really good writeup.. very informative!

i haven't seen too many e55's around my area... would love to hear the sound of that engine... but there are quite a few sl55's here.. those things sound really mean.. definently one sexy car with a ton of power under the hood.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:35 AM

cool write up!

wouldn't you guys think the 600 class is brutish also

I think I'd take a CL55 that thing is teh hottness
Old 08-19-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 600 is actually even more brutal.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Pakisho
The 600 is actually even more brutal.
More brutal...not necessarily. For one, you don't have the sounds that the 55s make. The exhaust note is more of a quiet, muffled purr instead of the authoritative rumble of the V8. Acceleration also feels a bit more rubbery in the 600, not like the immediate slam of the 55. Think of it as the 55 being a top-fuel dragster and the 600 being an F-16 taking off. One slams you in your seat and keeps you there, and the other starts to pull, then pulls harder...and harder...and harder. Even though turbo lag is really not an issue, you can still definitely notice the car is turbocharged. Also, the 55 will pull hard all the way to redline, whereas you will feel the 600's power start to taper off about 500 rpm before redline.

I would say the 55 is more brutal, and the 600 is more refined and subdued it terms of power delivery and sound...yet in its own very brutal way.

Quick Reply: E55 AMG..nice