Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E46 M3... SMG or 6-Speed and Carbon Black?

Old 10-03-2003, 04:19 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E46 M3... SMG or 6-Speed and Carbon Black?

Which would you prefer... SMG or 6-Speed? Is the SMG worth the $2K? Also Carbon Black is a beautiful color for the E46 M3, black metallic with a bluish tint. Is it as hard to maintain as a flat black?
Old 10-03-2003, 04:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my friend has a carbon black M5.....

in terms of care, basically it's the same as a black (or any dark colour) car.

in other words, after 2 years, his car now looks like crap

mind you, he doesn't have the time to care of it the way a black car should be taken care of.

he's got the usual swirl marks, sun-hazing, etc....notwithstanding that, it would still be my first colour choice for an M-product.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SMG vs 6 speed is entirely a matter of personal preference. Some people love the SMG, others think it ruins the experience.

I have yet to try a F1 style trasmission, but I'm not sure I'd like it. Don't get me wrong, I love the technology (I remember when Nigel Mansell won the '89 Brazilian GP on the semi-auto's debut) but I think I'd miss the sensory experience of my hand on the shift lever. Feeling the gears meshing beneith gives you such a direct connection to the drivetrain which IMO is a vital part of feeling the driving experience.

That said, the SMG's fully automatic program would be usefull if you need to drive in heavy stop-and-go traffic. Basically you gotta go try them out and see which is for you.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:35 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not driven a SMG M3 (or any SMG for that matter). I have driven a MT M3 and it was OK.

I'd really try to get some seat time with both MT and SMG and see which one you like better. At that point the $$ shouldn't be a factor. I mean if you love the SMG are you going to not get one just because of the extra $2K? You'll get most of that money back at resale when you sell it anyway.

On the other hand if you don't like the SMG all that much, I don't see any reason to get it.

Some people that have M3's say the SMG makes the car while others say the regular MT is the way to go.

Go here to get the straight scoop go here :M3 forum
Old 10-03-2003, 06:17 AM

6 spd without a doubt. Drove an SMG E46 M3 and the entire I time I was just wishing it had been 6 spd, didn't even really enjoy the SMG.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:42 AM

The only way I would purchase another S2000 is if Honda were to ram a really great SMG system into it. I love the car as it is, Id freak out with a SMG in it even more.

But it would have to be a good system, at least as fast as the 6sp; I think BMWs SMG is a little slower.

OUR car with an SMG would be the best non-F car SMG fit out there. Id probably opt for the M3s SMG, but its a much tougher call. The biggest benefit to me would be that my wife could also drive it - if thats a good thing
Old 10-03-2003, 06:53 AM

These guys have lots of info on making a decision.

http://216.118.86.224/m3forum/index.php
Old 10-03-2003, 07:29 AM

I have a 6spd Silver gray M3 coming in 2 weeks, not into SMG at all.......my cousin has an M3 Cab and the only reason he got SMG is so his wife can drive the car.

Its a never ending debate as mentioned above.

For me, I always end up preferring the expensive route, no matter what it is. Guess I lucked out with this one, saving myself $2400.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 AM

BMW has two versions of SMG. One the SMG found in teh new Z4 and 5 series and the SMG II found in the E46 M3. The SMG found in the M3 is not slow at all and I would bet is faster than about 80% of the drivers on this board. From what I hear, SMG II is the best SMG system out, better than Ferrari's. It can up shift in its most sportiest setting in 0.8 millisecconds. On the other hand you loose a little of the connection with the car by just using the paddle shifters or the knob.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 AM
ttb

tough call....technology vs. driving experience.....just get both....so you can pick depending on your mood.

Quick Reply: E46 M3... SMG or 6-Speed and Carbon Black?