Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DVR for your car

Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 13 2010, 09:04 AM
It is a good idea to have a system like this when you are the plaintiff or claimant but it will only hurt you when you are a defendant.

Since I have been on the receiving end more so than the giving, I would feel comfortable having this in my car. But I would discourage many people I know from getting this since they are much more likely to cause an accident.
I don't see how it could hurt you. If you did something wrong, don't mention that you have a video of it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Jul 13 2010, 11:39 AM
I don't see how it could hurt you. If you did something wrong, don't mention that you have a video of it.
That works only as long as no one finds out. If you are 100% certain that no one will find out then you have nothing to worry about provided no one ever asks.

But that is unrealistic. If you are in an accident bad enough that someone would sue you, chances are that you didn't just drive home. Your car was probably taken to an impound lot and it will be known. You can only keep up that charade so long as no one ever finds out, but all it takes is a thread on a car forum where you ask some install questions or a traffic cop that notices some funny wires in your car and you're proper fvkked.

There are lazy lawyers out there and lawyers who wouldn't know what a DVR was if it bit them in the ass, but if the firm I works at had a case where someone was injured badly enough to warrant it, you'd better believe we would have access to the car in no time.

Again, I think it is still probably worth it form the point of view of you being the plaintiff.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 AM

You're right, for some reason I was just picturing fender benders and traffic violations. In a serious crash, they would have your car.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like this
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mjWjmUgfI [/media]

In mass and other states it's illegal to film other parties without consent
Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Alot of police departments have a system like this. The camera is mounted by the rear view mirror and writes to a removeable compact flash memory card. I am not sure when it turns on though, when they hit the lights and siren or when they turn the key, or if it something they can specify. The system I have seen is quite expensive and is made by L3 Communications.

You have seen the videos on World's Wildest/Craziest/Fastest/etc. Police Chases.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Jul 13 2010, 12:26 PM
Alot of police departments have a system like this. The camera is mounted by the rear view mirror and writes to a removeable compact flash memory card. I am not sure when it turns on though, when they hit the lights and siren or when they turn the key, or if it something they can specify. The system I have seen is quite expensive and is made by L3 Communications.

You have seen the videos on World's Wildest/Craziest/Fastest/etc. Police Chases.
LOL. Captain Obvious to the rescue.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

I saw something like this on e-bay. The camera was installed in a rearview mirror and recorded out the front windshield. Don't remember the details though as it was a while ago.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I like the concept overall, but a real cheapy solution is if you get in an accident or get pulled over, pull out your iphone and immediately start recording a video. Go up to the 'guilty' party at an accident and record them admitting liability right after the accident. Say, "I can't believe you pulled out in front of me when I had the green light." 95% of people will say, "Sorry, I didn't mean to" but later change their story. Make sure you phrase the question or accusations intelligently to box them into admitting liability. Hold the iphone (or other phone) in an inconspicuous way so they don't think they're being recorded.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 13 2010, 02:23 PM
I like the concept overall, but a real cheapy solution is if you get in an accident or get pulled over, pull out your iphone and immediately start recording a video. Go up to the 'guilty' party at an accident and record them admitting liability right after the accident. Say, "I can't believe you pulled out in front of me when I had the green light." 95% of people will say, "Sorry, I didn't mean to" but later change their story. Make sure you phrase the question or accusations intelligently to box them into admitting liability. Hold the iphone (or other phone) in an inconspicuous way so they don't think they're being recorded.
In certain states don't you need to tell the other party that they are being recorded or it won't hold up in court?

Or have I been watching too much TV.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CrashnBrn,Jul 13 2010, 02:52 PM
In certain states don't you need to tell the other party that they are being recorded or it won't hold up in court?

Or have I been watching too much TV.
It may vary from state to state but I can't think of any that don't work like this...

If you are recording someone else's conversation, you have to get their permission. If you are in the conversation and you are recording it, it's all good.

Quick Reply: DVR for your car