Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DVR for your car

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DVR for your car

Disclaimer:

This is not a commercial post. I have no intention of building this, nor do I plan on patenting it.

Do you think a DVR system for your car is a good idea? What am I talking about you say?

Much like your DVR at home, a little box with a XXXGB hard drive sits tucked somewhere in your car. You have 2 medium resolution cameras (same as backup cameras used on cars today) one at the front, one at the back. As soon as the car senses the ignition key, the DVR begins to record.

Why would you want this?

Well, accident proof. Ever get into an accidednt you KNOW wasn't your fault, but the other douche claims it is? Undeniable video proof should help in court. Got busted for a ticket you KNOW you didn't commit? Proof in court.

I'm surprised nobody ever came out with such a system, seems like a total life saver.

Any thoughts? Maybe car manufacturers should start putting it into their cars.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is such a thing and I've considered it. Some systems use cameras to monitor front/rear/and occupants. Perfect for that doucher valet that just took your car for a 5mi joyride.

Yes I'd be interested in a system like this assuming the owner had sole access to the content.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM

When I clicked on the thread I thought you'd be suggesting a DVR for radio programs...

Good idea although it's one of those things that people won't realize they "need" until car companies start introducing it in their cars (sorta like blind spot warning systems, etc.). Could be implemented pretty easily though since most luxury cars these days have reverse cameras at least as an option and some have front facing cameras now.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 AM

What happens when you're the "douche" that claims it was someone else's fault and they subpeona your dvr as evidence against you?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 13 2010, 03:59 AM
What happens when you're the "douche" that claims it was someone else's fault and they subpeona your dvr as evidence against you?
Hidden Cameras ftw

Someone has a REALLY nice setup in his Subaru. Has 2 outside, 1 inside along with a microphone, and a video overlay that shows his speed.

I would definitely invest in something like this or make one of these for myself in the future.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Spammer

SPAM
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by infotechproximity8,Jul 13 2010, 03:43 AM
SPAM
man these bots are getting crafty these days.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jul 13 2010, 12:59 AM
It is a good idea to have a system like this when you are the plaintiff or claimant but it will only hurt you when you are a defendant.

Since I have been on the receiving end more so than the giving, I would feel comfortable having this in my car. But I would discourage many people I know from getting this since they are much more likely to cause an accident.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM

This video recorder thing is becoming quite popular in Korea.
Price depends on what kind of equipment you're getting(1CH or 2CH video, etc.), but it was somewhere around the price of a portable navigation device.

Yeah, I'd definitely consider getting one of these system.
It's my device, so I am the only person that have access to the recordings.
I can use it in case there's an accident or dispute regarding an incident.
I say yes.

Dan
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Great more shit to weigh the car down, not interested. Considering the 2 way alarm I have and the Sig Sauer that I carry, I'm covered. I have insurance for accidents that are my fault. When my insurance carrier will drastically lower my premiums because I have a camera in my car I'll think about it.

Quick Reply: DVR for your car