Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dumb dealer add ons....

Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Also, for those that don't know it the finance guys make a shit ton of money. When I worked at the Honda dealership all of the finance guys made six figures. Every single one.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL @ anti-microbial add-on!

Agree with most people here. Finance people are ALSO in sales. Reminds me of my Yelp review about Infiniti of Pleasanton:

The service department here is the best feature of this dealership. The service manager and advisors are very helpful and friendly. They are a great example of Infiniti's Total Ownership Experience (I think that's what they call it).

Minus one star for the sales and finance people. Although they were pretty efficient, after the sale was completed, they didn't return calls timely, or some at all. But I suppose those are sales people for you. If my G37 wasn't so great, I'd have picked up a 335, even though the folks at East Bay BMW were much worse. Additionally, I was pretty much called a liar by someone in their finance dept. for claiming that he mentioned including brake pads in their dealership prepaid maintenance program. The only reason I initially opted in for it was because of that feature - and when I called service to confirm it, they said that wasn't correct. The finance guy then claimed that it was a wear and tear item and it was unheard of to cover this, because it would be like covering tires. I didn't feel like arguing with him or mentioning the fact that BMWs included "free" (even though we all know its built into their new increased prices) maintenance package included brake pads.

When buying a car (in general), its a good idea to ask lots of questions when they're pummeling you with optional features at signing (ie: tire protection, prepaid maintenance, paint protection (which is useless)). This dealership taught me that.

I'd do business here again, but I'd be selective of the sales people and cautious during the signing process. But that applies anywhere.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The really shady move is this one. Advertise a very low price. If the buyer calls or emails you tell them the price, no problem. Buyer shows up at the dealership and is given the hard upsell on very undercoatings, some kind of retarded door edge protector etc. If the buyer declines everything and can not be convinced you throw them out of the dealership and do not sell them a car.

This is a fairly common practice in some areas. For some reason Arizona seems to run rampant with this shit. It's one thing to have an aggressive finance or sales guy (in this case it's the sales guy) and you have to keep saying no until they get the point, but to advertise a certain price knowing that you will never sell them the car unless they buy your $400 tape that 'protects' the doors is total BS.

We have kicked many dealers out of our dealer network for this very shit. I find the upsell of worthless shit as annoying as anyone, but I can say no forever. It crosses the line when all of sudden the price I was given isn't good anymore unless I buy the undercoating which was never part of the deal in the first place....
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 AM

I've only once had a hard time buying a car (1988 Ford Dealership) since then it has been easy, I walk in, drive a car, have them fax me the cost, I make an offer. If they accept it, fine, if not....

The thing they have to be convinced of is that you are willing to walk away and you aren't willing to invest any more time or energy with them.

As far as financing, never finance a car, only a house where you can deduct the interest paid from your taxes. Once you get used to accepting the idea of a 'car payment', then you'll always have one.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Aug 29 2010, 09:14 AM
Also, for those that don't know it the finance guys make a shit ton of money. When I worked at the Honda dealership all of the finance guys made six figures. Every single one.
Just out of curiousity, how do you know this? Did you crank out their W-2's at the end of the year or are you going on what they told you?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 29 2010, 02:26 PM
Just out of curiousity, how do you know this? Did you crank out their W-2's at the end of the year or are you going on what they told you?
Certainly there could have been some ego flexing but it was commonly known that getting into the finance department was the promotion of choice just because you could make such on obscene amount of money. These guys all wore expensive (read: gaudy) clothes and drove expensive cars and lived in big houses. If they were faking it they were pretty good at it.

Also, if you know the commission structure, which is pretty common knowledge since ever loud-mouthed douche bag complains about it in virtually every sales meeting, then it's pretty easy to calculate what a finance guy is making on a particular sale.

Let's say for argument sake that they only made 80K a year, they were still a bunch of unnecessarily successful drug addicts and high school drop outs.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer,Aug 29 2010, 10:32 AM
As far as financing, never finance a car, only a house where you can deduct the interest paid from your taxes. Once you get used to accepting the idea of a 'car payment', then you'll always have one.
This isn't absolutely 100% correct information. It all depends on your finances, age, credit history, and interest percentage. As a 24 year old male making my first car purchase I put 10k down, and financed the rest. Why? I was able to receive 7.5% interest on my loan only, and I'm young without much of a credit history (How I even got that rate is beyond me tbh, especially in 2010). While you could very well argue that 7% interest on a 15,000$ loan is a waste of money you also need to put into perspective other things. Making my car payment in a timely and honorable fashion can greatly increase my credit score. Meaning when it's time to invest in a home, I could potentially get a much better rate on a $500K Mortgage. Which could potentially be a wash, or save me money in the long run. It's not as simple as a singular depreciating asset.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:27 AM

Meaning when it's time to invest in a home, I could potentially get a much better rate on a $500K Mortgage. Which could potentially be a wash, or save me money in the long run. It's not as simple as a singular depreciating asset.
Good point, I didn't consider it that way (my first house had an assumable mortgage), and given the recent problems the banks have had in the housing market, your point may even be more valid.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 AM

When I bought the S, the transaction went smoothly up until the finance guy.

He tried three times to have me pay NC sales tax instead of SC (live in SC, bought car in NC - SC sales tax is capped at $300). I was certain to understand exactly how sales tax worked when purchasing a car out of state. This guy kept playing dumb like he'd never done it before. Now you tell me a large dealership in Charlotte has never sold a car to a SC resident. Had I payed the NC tax, would have never seen the difference come back to me.

Additionally, he kept pushing me on the warranty. I kept saying no.

FINALLY, I got handed a sheet of paper with a breakdown of all the numbers. The guy got irrate when I pulled out a calculator to make sure I understood where everything was coming from, saying "What, you don't trust me?" To which I replied, "not for a second. Certainly not after you've tried to get me to pay NC sales tax three times today."

From that point forward, everything moved swiftly.

We're currently in the market for a new car. This purchase is different in that there is not a specific vehicle in mind that we want. In trying to decide what type of car we need/want this time (sedan, SUV, etc.) and what make, we've visited just about every dealership in town. One thing that has bothered me with this experience is that there is one dealership (a Toyota dealership) that will just not hang it up. I've learned to recognize their phone number and just don't answer anymore. Now they've moved on to e-mails.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 AM

MOST Finance producers don't make jack for a living, good ones make six figures, and there are aren't many good ones.

Quick Reply: Dumb dealer add ons....