Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove a Solstice GXP

Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the review. we had a top of the line G6 to drive around as a rental car for the week and i actually did like it. maybe some of the american cars are starting to turn the corner in quality. looks wise i'm not digging the solstice or sky much but to each his own.
the better all of the competition gets is only a good thing for those of us that want to update our cars in a few years.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu A.,Sep 23 2006, 01:10 PM
Would you trade your power top for one of the worst manually operated tops in the business, just so that you can have that stylish rear half of the car? GM thinks so.

You you pay $27,000 for a GXP with an interior inferior to that of a $15,000 civic? GM thinks so.
As far as the interior its not so bad. its no longer as bad as GM was 4 years ago. It may be a bit behind a Civic but not by much (IMO)

As for the top it's bad, but the rest of the car is good.

Some might not be bothered too much by the top since its one of the cheapest verts on the market. And it does look snappy with the top folded as god intended.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Having owned mostly American vehicles, and preferred them over other foreign makes, I went looking for a small RWD roadster in the 25K to 35K USD to share tracking/commuting duties with my other car. The Sky was #1 on my list, then the MX-5 (formerly known as Miata), last was the Solstice. I really like the exterior AND interior of the Sky, too bad the trunk space becomes zero once the top is down. IMO the Solstice looks FUGLY, and the trunk problem is the same as the Sky. Both Solstice and Sky outweigh the MX-5 by about 400 lbs!!!! That's significant for a "small" roadster. I ended up getting the MX-5 Sport, with Suspension Package and have not regretted any second of it. The driving feel is superb, the top is so incredibly easy to lower and raise, I even did it a few times while driving. The interior is excellent, shifter and tranny is top notch. The exterior is no doubt not as attention getting as the US counterparts, but that's fine with me. If the Sky Redline was available, I probably would've looked past the trunk space issue, since the power would make up for that deficiency.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally speaking, I could never buy a convertible that required so much effort to put the roof up or down. Someone should never have to decide if it's "worth the trouble" to put the roof up or down.

That's what I love about the S2000. If I want the roof down, it's down. If I want it up... well... I never want it up, but if I'm parking, I can put it up no problem. I honestly think part of the reason I almost always see Kappa cars with roofs UP is because it's just too much darned trouble to put them down.

to function being trumped by form. A beautiful rigid tonneau cover don't mean crap if it takes me 2 minutes to get to it.

That all being said, it does look nice with the roof down. But it's laughable the amount of effort needed to convert. If you think about it, it's pretty much akin to if we HAD to affix our tonneau cover every time- it involves getting out of the car, popping the trunk, and walking to both sides. Thank goodness we don't have to do that every time.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 23 2006, 07:09 AM
except if you buy a S2000 or an Elise (only come with MT).

Many many 'sporty cars' are sold with AT. I don't favor them, but I can see why they are popular.

The bad thing about the AT is that it takes a lot of the involvment out of the driving. But it's still fun to drive a AT 2-seat vert on a back roads.
Real man drive manual gear box cars............."Girlie man drive Auto"
Old 09-24-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,Sep 23 2006, 02:21 PM
But much of your post is opinion. I think the Sky and Solstice both have nice interiors. Yes they have flaws but I think they look very good. I also think they are comfortable. The shifter in the Sky I drove was good to very good. No it wasn't S2k good but it was good. I would put it on par with a BMW box. The top isn't great but how much it bothers a person may be relative. Certainly just about anyone can operate the S2k's top. As easy as the Miata's manual top is, not everyone can operate it from inside the car. In that case the Solstice top is not much harder to operate. Really, the top isn't hard to operate at all, it just takes more steps and one involves being out of the car. The gauges aren't bad. The radio is VERY nice. I really like the factory Aux in as well as the good display. The controls have a nice feel and the seats are quite comfortable.
Apparently all these things really would bother you. That's fine but they won't really bother everyone and it's unreasonable to assume that everyone will view these issues the same way. The car may have some issues but it looks really good, feels rock solid while driving, looks really good, is comfortable on the highway, looks really good, etc. It may not be your cup of tea but I certainly can see it selling well. More so, I think at it's MSRP it will do well.
Stating my opinion was exactly the point. I hope I didn't come across as "this is the way it is and you should think so too". I just said that it was too many "buts" for me to sign the dotted line.

I am a true believer in getting the most for your money, and I just don't see the kappa platform delivering it. In a world where an LSD is becoming standard on more and more cars, having to check a box for A/C just seems like they are going backwards, doesn't it?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:07 AM

Fair enough. As I think was clear in my response, I generally disagree with your opinion on the subject. I personally feel the Kappas deliver quite a bit for their price. Of course its all a mater of what is important to you.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stu A.,Sep 24 2006, 04:39 PM
having to check a box for A/C just seems like they are going backwards, doesn't it?
People in Iceland may not want to buy A/C.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 AM

Certainly not including AC was just a way to get the price under $20K for the initial release. I believe the '07s are all over $20k. Not that it really should mater. If you can get a well equipped car for a reasonable price who cares what the base car is like. I looked at a base Camry... it was really de-contented. GM isn't pricing the thing like a BMW where metallic paint cost $1000 extra. When the last generation 3 series came out ( was it '01?) the base car had hubcaps and no cruise control! Near $30k and no cruise! Even the MINI has no excuse for not coming with factory cruise. The car is throttle by wire so cruise is nothing more than adding a few switches and telling the computer to turn it on.
GM is doing the same thing that other makes do (though Honda is very good about not doing it). The important point is you can get a nicely equipped Solstice/Solstice GXP for a reasonable price.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=rai,Sep 22 2006, 02:11 PM]
We got the top down, who designed this and when are they going to be fired? It

Quick Reply: Drove a Solstice GXP