Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove a SLK350 roadster today

Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...liked your review. I actually ended up bringing one home. ...there's less body roll with the sport suspension and once you adjust your driving style to take advantage of the "new" power and torque bands it's actually no less fun than the S.
The extra convenience features don't hurt either.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:06 PM

Nice thread,, good take.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 7 2005, 05:33 PM
His has heated headrest
That has got to be the silliest offering I have heard of. Why do you need heated headrests ?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 8 2005, 01:01 PM
I'm wondering how your nav can play DVDs. If you take out the nav DVD to play music DVD doesn't that mean you can't use it's nav functions?? If that's the case you have a $2K mp3 player not a nav system.
isn't their a separate drive mechanism for the map disc?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by LUV2REV,Jun 8 2005, 09:09 PM
That has got to be the silliest offering I have heard of. Why do you need heated headrests ?
i think he means the airscarf option?

basically, it's a vent at the back of the headrest that blows warm air around your neck when the top is down.

good write up, though i think the S2k is the wrong car to compare it to, i'm curious to know how it racks up aganist a Z4 3.0 or a porsche boxster
Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KMak,Jun 8 2005, 11:05 PM
i think he means the airscarf option?

basically, it's a vent at the back of the headrest that blows warm air around your neck when the top is down.

i think the S2k is the wrong car to compare it to, i'm curious to know how it racks up aganist a Z4 3.0 or a porsche boxster
Yea, I should have said heated seats and Ventilated headrests (Airscarf). I didn't try them out but they seem like a good idea.

I agree the S2000 is the other side of the roadster coin. I was just comparing against the S2000 b/c thats what most of us have. I like a lot of things about the SLK, but would rather have something a bit more sporty. But comfort and sport work against each other. Probably the Boxster or BS would be a happy medium.

For me, it's biggest strike was that I'm 6'3" with long legs and didn't feel like I had enough leg room. I have that problem with the S2000 but to me it seemed worse in the SLK. I'll have to try the new Boxster, I drove a 02 BS that didn't have a tilt wheel and had a hard time getting my legs under the wheel the new Boxster has tilt and scope wheel.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Jun 8 2005, 09:53 AM
We were comparing $50K cars so the C6 was not a convertible.. but the MB was not a V8... it was as fair as it got that day... we were seeing what we liked, not performing objective roadtests.
Do you what the C6 Vette would have cost?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Jun 8 2005, 12:02 PM
The C6 really works well as a targa with the top pulled out. We both wanted to see and drive sportscars and after quite a bit of experience with a friends late model SMG M3 we were not at all interested in one. Different kind of cars.
In my humble opinion, the targa-top car is not really a roadster.

Having owned a targa myself, it lacks the open feel of a true convertible roadster, not much more open than a moonroof car.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmateer,Jun 9 2005, 10:19 AM
Do you what the C6 Vette would have cost?
The C6 convertible is about $7K more than the coupe. The coupe has a removable panel that is not as convenient as a convertible but is not bad. The budget that day was 'about 50K' and the C6 we drove was a little cheaper than the SLK. We both felt the C6 was a lot more fun to drive than the SLK but might have chosen the SLK in some situations. My son actually tried to buy a C6 on the lot that day but the one he wanted had sold the night before and none of the others available turned him on.

Would like to try a SLK55 but it is in a different price bracket.. but we may get together later and try that since he put down a deposit to get in line for a C6 Z06 and the price of the two may be close.

I was torn on the SLK as it is more a cruiser than what I am used to. Nice car but a bit softer than what I prefer. The C6 offered a great balance of performance and comfort but does not exhibit the quality that the MB does.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdelena,Jun 9 2005, 11:42 AM
...... The C6 offered a great balance of performance and comfort but does not exhibit the quality that the MB does.
I am surprised it seems like a lot of people are still living in the dark.

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/slk_class.php

http://www.sesh.com/20050209.html

"Dominik Wendel got fed up with his Mercedes SLK 350 sports car. First, the convertible roof leaked. Then it wouldn't open properly, sending him back to the garage at least five times. The car also whistled on the autobahn.

Quick Reply: Drove a SLK350 roadster today